How much do I love FS9?

Thread: How much do I love FS9?

SOH-CM-2023

How much do I love FS9?

Just looked at my Purchase History on Simmarket and have purchased over 180 addons for FS9. My first one was Georender 5 - Forks on 5/15/2004; my most recent were the two Rio De Janeiro by Tropicalsim airports on 5/20/20. I dont even want to think about the cost. I will say it has allowed me to fly and visit places that I would never get to go to.

You have to go with the best even if you paid more for something else. I have more payware for FSX but use nothing but FS9. No regrets.

There is no comparison really. Not everybody has a PC that will run FSX or P3D.

And, if you look at the FS9 screenshots by Huub for example, you can turn FS9 into something really nice that has nothing in common with the original release.

This site is the proof that flightsims like CFS2/3, FS9, FSX and even newer sims like P3D can be made look extremely good.

It's a hobby, not a competition.

Just my two € cents worth of course.

Priller

SOH-CM-2023
    Oh without a doubt. I was just floored the other day when I looked at how many addons I had acquired over the years, that was my real comment. I am still not happy with my fs9, I keep wanting to squeeze just a little more out of it. I love this hobby and will keep pushing to find where its real limit is. Like you said its a hobby, not a competition. There are screenshots where I have to do a double take to make sure its not real. I am in awe of edetroit's videos that he still put out on youtube of his heavy airline flights, even though that's not my current bag. That's another thing; we have all kinds of flying available to us from Ultralights, to helicopters, to Heavy Cargo and Pax planes and everything in between. I'm just happy I can still find places I haven't discovered yet in the FS9 world and will keep looking over the next hill for the next challenge.

Sean

For me its impossible to quantify how much FS2004 is worth for me. The amount of money invested in payware doesn't say much because for FS2004 there was far more freeware available than there is for for instance FSX. And the freeware offered was often from at least the same quality as the payware in those day.

And also the amount of money asked for payware was much lower. The WWII fighters package by Shockwave/A2A is a fine example. It was a CD with 5 different aircraft, some even with multiple versions, it came with free updates, which could even turn models into a FSX native version for those who flew the newer sim. I bought the CD for 25 Euros, which means less than 5 Euro per model. The models were amazing for those day.
    As FSX offers more possibilities the models are more complex and need more develop time and also the customers have become far more demanding, it is logical FSX model are more expensive and therefore a single model for 25 Euros is already a bargain.

As Priller already indicated its a hobby and FS2004 can be altered into something really beautiful, just by using freeware. For me that is a large part of the fun. When I compare the amount of hours I actually fly with the hours I'm tweaking the sim, it becomes very clear that I actually can't call myself a virtual pilot. FS2004 is reasonably simple so making your own mods like repaints is still reasonably simple as well. So in a short time you can achieve very nice things.

I can sit watch all the things happening at Maschy's Gutersloh for hours. Its all free, so it doesn't really has a value which you can quantify in money. But the fun it brings just to watch is more worth to me than the value in money of many of the payware add-ons I bought for FSX.

In my simple dictionary value is the amount of money somebody is willing to pay for something. Therefore FS2004 is priceless for me........

Cheers,
    Huub

its just so expansive and amazing to have so many addons and creaors out there

Members +
    I've always been a great supporter of freeware for FS2004, as the freeware developers have always been the backbone of our hobby. Guys like Bill & Lynn Lyons, Milton & team, Shezzi, far to many to list here. There has been so much support for the low's 'n slow's, the old prop Boeings, DH's, etc. Not everyone enjoys Airbus's & Boeings & FS2004 really shines for the old timers.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Members who have read this thread: 0