FS Flying Club Piper Seneca II

Thread: FS Flying Club Piper Seneca II

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

FS Flying Club Piper Seneca II

Does anyone know who ultimately makes this aircraft for FSX? I bought the thing over the weekend at PC Aviator and can not get it to install properly. Everything has been downloaded from the website properly (password/license key/whatever you want to call it) plus the basic aircraft. In fact I've downloaded the thing and tried four different installs of the thing. Next stop was to send an email to the tech support address for the aircraft on the website but no reply yet. Installer gets to the "Checking" window, which may get about 1/2 way across its scroll length before stopping. I've also tried opening it w/ WinZip and 7Zip. Who is there to contact about this?

SSI, I didn't find the maker, but did find the Flying Club forums...

http://www.jfflyingclub.com

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Have you tried running the installer (I assume it has an installer) using "Run as administrator"?

Unzip the installer to directory (like documents\Temp or something, maybe a directory on a disk other than the operating system disk), right click the executable (hopefully it's not an .msi, run as administrator.

Seems like you have a lot of issues with unzipping and running stuff. Sounds like a permissions thing with your machine setup.

If it's an .msi file, check to make sure the Windows installer service is running. I recently ran into that for some reason and had it get it started.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Odie, I'm going to check out that forum. Thanks.

And FC, I'll try "run as administrator" before I take another step, see what happens.

EDIT: OK, I redownloaded the Flying Club Seneca II zip file for a fresh start. When I right click on the zip file (FlyingClubSeneca.zip) there is no "run as administrator" in the dialog box.

I'm having the same problem with the JF/AH DeHavilland Tiger Moth Add-on pack (floats/skis), happening in the exact same way. That download is 54MB in size. When I click on the download file button on the PC Aviator site for that file, it downloads instantly - and I mean INSTANTLY - into the folder for it. I've never seen it so fast. My machine is pretty quick, but even in a 54MB download there's usually a little pause around 26 or 27MB, a pause lasting less than a second but noticeable, before a file that size is done downloading. There has to be something wrong at the file's point of origin.

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Odie, I'm going to check out that forum. Thanks.

And FC, I'll try "run as administrator" before I take another step, see what happens.

EDIT: OK, I redownloaded the Flying Club Seneca II zip file for a fresh start. When I right click on the zip file (FlyingClubSeneca.zip) there is no "run as administrator" in the dialog box.

I'm having the same problem with the JF/AH DeHavilland Tiger Moth Add-on pack (floats/skis), happening in the exact same way. That download is 54MB in size. When I click on the download file button on the PC Aviator site for that file, it downloads instantly - and I mean INSTANTLY - into the folder for it. I've never seen it so fast. My machine is pretty quick, but even in a 54MB download there's usually a little pause around 26 or 27MB, a pause lasting less than a second but noticeable, before a file that size is done downloading. There has to be something wrong at the file's point of origin.
    Oh, I thought you said the install program wouldn't install properly.

Run as administrator would be for executable programs, but, in order to do it, you would need to unzip the executable program from inside the zip file. When you run an executable program from within a zip file, you are depending on the zip program to do the right thing by unzipping the executable into a temporary directory in your hidden "Appdata" directory. Then it starts another process and runs the executable file you clicked on. And if that executable program needs any other files from within the zip program, well, that doesn't always work correctly. And if you've got typical locked down Windows permissions turned on (default), well, that can throw another stick in the mud and mess things up.

As I noted, first unzip the contents of the zip file to a directory someplace, typically you would create a "Temp" directory and unzip the contents into that. Then you will have an executable file you can put the mouse on, click the right mouse button, and select "Run as Administrator". I don't know what the contents of the zip file are so I don't know exactly what to say here.

Then again, if your problem is that you can't unzip the file, well, that's a completely different problem. And, one you've seen before.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Used 7Zip to open the zip file. Put it into a folder inside the desktop called "Seneca files." Inside was the file "FlyingClubSeneca.exe" and nothing else - no other files such as "panel," "sound," "texture," "aircraft.cfg," or "seneca.air." Clicked on it anyway, got the install window saying (as it has many times before), "checking," then "installing files" when it abruptly shuts down.

Can't think of anything else to do except contact JF at their forum. I've already gotten an account there, then posted a quick note to see where I should be asking questions about this particular aircraft. No answer yet.

I decided to give it a shot, the price is right for sure and so I purchased it, got the download, unzipped to get the exe file. Doubled clicked to run (in this instance anti-virus was running I didn't use "Run as Administrator). . .the installer asked what sim to install (FSX), then it asked for the activation key. . .typed that in and it installed. . .Done in about 3 minutes. No problems.

One side note, I never got a window saying "Checking".
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Members who have read this thread: 1