FR HS.125 Dominie WIP

Thread: FR HS.125 Dominie WIP

FR HS.125 Dominie WIP

The Dominie is finally back in production. A few years ago, all the data, model sub-sets, manuals, etc., were lost, but everything has been built up again and it's a pleasure to be back working on it.

Still a lot to do, as you can see. However, have been making significant progress over the past few weeks - enough so to show a few screenshots. Keep in mind this is still early days (relatively speaking!), there's not even any bump mapping on the model at this point, but progress is happening and I'll post more screenshots as things come along.

If all goes well, it'll still be possible to sit at every seat in the aircraft.

The Dominie will be for FSX and P3D.

Mike

Excellent stuff, the dominie was the first aircraft I ever worked on during my training. A great choice of aircraft to make. It looks great, I wish you luck with her.
    Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy

Very similar to Sabreliner jet .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Excellent! I wondered what had become of this. Looking great so far.

Now that is interesting to know. One question regarding the Dominie, we had them at RAF Stradishall (No1 School of Navigation) when I was there up until the station closed. Had 2 flights in the aircraft one was a pilot training sortie and the other at night on a navigators training sortie.

Question is, will the overhead panel replicate the 1960's version as with the main panel or will it be upgraded.

Regards
    Nigel.

very nice!
    I think I built this as an Airfix kit.
    I'd love to paint one in the Qantas colors
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

This is excellent news Mike! I'll want to fly her on the day of release!

The B&W scheme reminds me of seeing some of them lined up at Kemble ~10 years ago, after they were retired...

Will she have PBR textures, inside as well as out? I'm a fan of the very, very early bare metal & dayglo scheme:

Also on my wish-list for a Dominie would be:

1. fully VR compatible
    2. dual/multi-crew ops
    3. a functioning radar as per the real thing
    4. and working crew (student) stations in the cabin

As you may have guessed my preference to not just to fly the aircraft but to operate it ;-)

It also takes me back to working on RAF Cranwell with ACG... good times!

I'd be tempted to make an RAF Finningley (I have the old orthophotos)... if only I had the time :-S

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    This is excellent news Mike! I'll want to fly her on the day of release!

Will she have PBR textures, inside as well as out? I'm a fan of the very, very early bare metal & dayglo scheme:

Also on my wish-list for a Dominie would be:

1. fully VR compatible
    2. dual/multi-crew ops
    3. a functioning radar as per the real thing
    4. and working crew (student) stations in the cabin

As you may have guessed my preference to not just to fly the aircraft but to operate it ;-)
    This Dominie will be in its final configuration, internally, with the forward facing seats and the individual stations. The RAF Museum helped with the project initially, and so this layout was the photo information that they could send from their own example (the photos which were subsequently lost along with everything else - and when I brazenly asked a while ago if they would mind sending some again, informed me that their 125 was now being used for storage and was full of boxes and parts and so couldn't be photographed again...).

PBR textures: Someone can correct me, but as far as I know PBR is a method, not a result (this from 'Gibbage', who was on the original FSX development team, and whose Zenair 701 is available). The same result can be had by working the individual diffuse and spec and bump textures and their alphas as found in FSX - it just takes more effort than the unified PBR sytem. As the 125 will be for FSX and P3D, the PBR method won't be used.

Different paint schemes can certainly be applied (and they look good!), but internally it will be the last version. Although, there's a chance the plain business jet interior will be done as well.

1. VR compatible: What would make it not compatible?
    2. Not sure what this means in the context of FSX/P3D - but it should be good for multiplayer, if that's what you mean, like most FSX/P3D aircraft.
    3. I'm going to try and put a 2D gauge poly at each station, and so if you know how to install a gauge you may be able to install a radar (and anything else you'd like to try).
    4. As per above.

Nigel asked about the overhead panel - it conforms to the 1966 RAF manual, and is the same as is in the RAF Museum 125, and so am not exactly sure what the upgraded version is? The overhead panel is the final version (as is the main panel).

Hope that helps!

Very nice! Insta buy from me when release! We had them here in Brazil:
    http://www.rudnei.cunha.nom.br/FAB/br/vu-93.html
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Excellent news! I remember my days as a PLST (late 80's, early 90's) refueling and servicing the RR Viper engines on the Biz Jet versions. One thing stands out in my memory, the incredibly loud screeching sound of the engine intakes at ground idle.Even with sponge ear plugs with ear muffs over them, the sound was nearly unbearable. My boss's personal HS 125 was built in 1964. Somewhere around here I have the original cockpit photos which it looked like it has changed very little since it was built. Incidentally, years before I had this Airfix model of the HS 125 which I loved and kept for years.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nigel asked about the overhead panel - it conforms to the 1966 RAF manual, and is the same as is in the RAF Museum 125, and so am not exactly sure what the upgraded version is? The overhead panel is the final version (as is the main panel).

Hope that helps!
    Thank you very much, has answered my question fully!!

This Dominie will be in its final configuration, internally, with the forward facing seats and the individual stations. The RAF Museum helped with the project initially, and so this layout was the photo information that they could send from their own example (the photos which were subsequently lost along with everything else - and when I brazenly asked a while ago if they would mind sending some again, informed me that their 125 was now being used for storage and was full of boxes and parts and so couldn't be photographed again...).
    Hope that the link to a video will be of some help to you. If you go to 4mins and 54 secs a chap with a video camera climbs inside an RAF Domini and he films the interior or rather what is left of it! When I flew in the Domini I sat in the left hand seat s he climbs inside nearest to the cockpit, all those seats in the nav trainer were facing rearwards and after he moves away from the cockpit he turns the camera onto a box by a seat, that box was used to plug in the communication lead from the headset and also had a number of switches to select a few frequencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou6Ag0CYcYM

Regards
    Nigel.

Members who have read this thread: 0