Back in business...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back in business...

Back in business...

Hello to all,

Well I have been away from this scene for some years now. I am looking at getting back to it but I won't be able to commit to it as I once did. That being said I am wanting to add to the CFS projects out there wherever my models will fit in the timeline.

I went digging around the files I have managed to find and found a lot of stuff that was finished and added but also some stuff still barely in the making.

I am going to complete the two Mossies that I started way back in in 2006 and stopped building in 2008.

Below are two images I have just taken in Gmax:

First is the DBKF_FBVI_Mosquito

Secondly is the DBKF_B-35_Mosquito

Both of the models above were last opened in 2008 and have nothing newer than these so this is where I will be working from.

Please be patient and I will have these up and running as fast as I can.

Hope these will be accepted when released.

@Bravo/4 (John) Any chance you would still do me the honour of painting these when they are done please?

Kind regards,

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB 2008.jpg   B35 2008.jpg  

Of coarse Dave, this was a great little project, I'm glad you're bringing it out of storage, still have the two models installed.
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Hahaha, I did wonder how you got recent images. I was looking at them thinking how good you made my models look with your paint schemes.

I'm looking forward to working with you and others with the same passion.

Blog Entries
    Ooh I can see wondrous things ahead! 👍👍👍
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Great stuff! A decent FB.VI is just the ticket, and visually, the B.35 can stand in for the earlier B.XIX.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave(Dangerous)Boynton View Post
    Hahaha, I did wonder how you got recent images. I was looking at them thinking how good you made my models look with your paint schemes.

I'm looking forward to working with you and others with the same passion.
    Good stuff Dave I'm looking forward to it too!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Hey Dave!

Good to read you're still alive and kicking! Welcome back, I have been missing you!
    It's great that you plan to finish your Mossies - the stock ones could really use an upgrade!

Keep us posted!

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

It's good to back guys. Good to see old faces, no pun, still here along with new faces finding CFS3 which I am really surprised about, I thought it may have died after all this time.

Can you guys tell me, with all the new stuff making CFS3 look even better, if the tri count on models is still low or if the amount of tris has increased allowing for more complex models?

Been messing in Gmax as we speak to get used to limited tools available in that software. After using Max 2017 you really feel the lack of tools.

Good to back on the bike, so to speak.

Glad you are back on it Dave.

Happy to help in any way I can.

PM me if you want buddy.

Kev,

Good to be back.

Any chance you're still a dab hand with those xml files etc??

Remember the Duck we got to go from land to the water, take off, land back on the water and then traverse back onto land without it exploding.

Remember it well. I still have it in one of my installs.

I no longer have any of the Mossie stuff, due to HD crashes and the like.

PM me you email addy and I'll send you the working files and cfs md3.

Nice to see you around
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Thank you, it's good to be around you all again. Been to long.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave(Dangerous)Boynton View Post
    ...Can you guys tell me, with all the new stuff making CFS3 look even better, if the tri count on models is still low or if the amount of tris has increased allowing for more complex models?

Been messing in Gmax as we speak to get used to limited tools available in that software. After using Max 2017 you really feel the lack of tools.
    So long as you haven’t got to animating stage, you can still build and map in Max then punt the mesh to Gmax via the BFF script for animating and export to CFS3. Vertex limits haven’t changed since the old days, just the machines can crank high- poly models more easily than Pentium processors did in the years BC (before coronavirus...). You’ll probably be running Windows 10 now, so check the Aircraft Design and Animation forum for the Gmax/Win10 wrinkles and getting around them.

Fixing Gmax Viewport Leftover Syndrome
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Very envious of those who can build aeroplanes for CFS3.

Last aircraft I built I used balsa wood and tissue paper!

Oliver, it isn't that hard. Takes patience.... lots and lots and looooooots of patience mate.

I started out being asked to build a C-Type hanger that had doors open and could be taxied through, so that was my very first model in CFS3. It got used a lot if I remember rightly. I had an image of me flying a Lancaster through it, lol.

Make something simple, even if it already exists in CFS3 and learn to export etc. You'll soon pick it up, if I could do it then anyone can mate.

Dave

Hairyspin,

Where do I get this "Gmax via the BFF script for animating and export to CFS3" from as I would much rather use 3ds Max for the build then just use Gmax to animate etc then export to CFS3.

Dave

These will be a great addition to the collection, and with the new effects possible with AnKor's shaders they should look fantastic.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Dilemma....

Okay,

I want to know if you want me to finish the Mossie models that are part done or would you rather I build you some new ones?

It's just I am thinking if peoples machines are able to cope with higher polys/tris then I may just build new models with slightly increased polys/tris so you get a much better model.

What I don't wanna do is start a new one with more tris and find that it won't work in the sim.

Dave

Well, the people to talk to are definitely Dan (gecko), Ted and the usual suspects; John and Rob! All are now actively doing new aircraft models. Check out SJ Spit Mk !! , Fw190s, and Ted's Beaufighter NFs.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Blog Entries
    The current models look so close to completion that it would be a shame to stop now David, what needs to be done to finish them?
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    The current models look so close to completion that it would be a shame to stop now David
    +1 to that.

BFF 2007 script

Here you go, Dave. There are two versions in the package, you want BFF0_4_3.ms since the other doesn't work with Max 9 and later. I have no idea if it will still work with Max 2017, I'm still on 2008 but it's mine and not a continuing subscription.

BFF 2007 :– http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/bff-2007

Instructions are at Bobo's BFF home page:– http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/darkmoon/bff/

What the script does is write a whole collection of scripts to a specified folder. These scripts rebuild the model in Gmax when you run the top-level directory script from within Gmax. Takes a little time, and sometimes it's better to export selections from the model at a time if you're piling up the polys, since Gmax is still limited to that 2GB memory segment, maximum. I find textures should be .jpg or .bmp (IIRC) or the script coughs, so batch convert those .PSD multi-layer jobs.

Any other questions, I'm around or PM me.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Right then so for the current models I will continue and finish those through Gmax and then all new models will be created in Max and transferred down to Gmax before CFS3.

@Tom - thank you for all that info. I will look at that lot over the coming days and see if I can get it all working for future projects.

Right then, nap time before going back on night shift from tonight.

Catch you all on the flip side.

Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0