Back in business... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back in business...

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Here you go, Dave. There are two versions in the package, you want BFF0_4_3.ms since the other doesn't work with Max 9 and later. I have no idea if it will still work with Max 2017, I'm still on 2008 but it's mine and not a continuing subscription.

BFF 2007 :– http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/bff-2007

Instructions are at Bobo's BFF home page:– http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/darkmoon/bff/

What the script does is write a whole collection of scripts to a specified folder. These scripts rebuild the model in Gmax when you run the top-level directory script from within Gmax. Takes a little time, and sometimes it's better to export selections from the model at a time if you're piling up the polys, since Gmax is still limited to that 2GB memory segment, maximum. I find textures should be .jpg or .bmp (IIRC) or the script coughs, so batch convert those .PSD multi-layer jobs.

Any other questions, I'm around or PM me.
    So you can make a model in say max 8, then move it to gmax or max 4.2. It preserves all the names and animation and mapping? Cool. What would be nice if someone would write an export script for say the later versions of max, like max 8 or so. I have max 4.2 with the CFS3 export script. If we had a later export script all this would not be necessary.......

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    So you can make a model in say max 8, then move it to gmax or max 4.2. It preserves all the names and animation and mapping? Cool. What would be nice if someone would write an export script for say the later versions of max, like max 8 or so. I have max 4.2 with the CFS3 export script. If we had a later export script all this would not be necessary.......

Ted
    Sadly, Ted, animations are not retained in the BFF process.

As far as writing a new compiler to export from later versions of Max to CFS3, that isn’t going to happen, for two reasons. One, the CFS3 model format (.m3d) is not documented or even reverse engineered. Two, the CFS3 exporter for Gmax isn’t a script, but a compiled module built using Gmax Dev, the developer studio version of Gmax, so we can’t simply reverse engineer it for 3ds Max 9 or even 2020. Nobody has Gmax Dev, not even the remnants of ACES Studio, because Autodesk withdrew it after FSX was built, and MS had to beg them for permission to build the Acceleration add-on for Gmax. On bended knees, wearing sackcloth! The price of licensing Gmax Dev would terrify any normal mortal if Autodesk could even be persuaded, which they won’t.

All rather sad.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries
    Sorry for my ignorance, but why is modelling in 3dsmax better for cfs3 aircraft than plain old Gmax (and knowing that Gmax is a cut down version)?

Thanks
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

64-bit versions, much much better stability, lots more really useful modelling and mapping tools and an extensive community online to refer to. Then there is the render engine to make your own textures and even mapping templates without fiddling with LithUnwrap or crude screenshots. Downside is if you get lost easily in Gmax you’ll probably be bewildered in 3ds Max and it cost a bomb, now replaced with a subscription model that still costs a bomb every year. I managed to pick up a secondhand Max 2008 years ago and guard it as closely as my old Photoshop CS4.

It also takes a lot to learn properly, more than Gmax (which I maintain is a fantastic tool in its own right), but Max is so much more capable.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries
    Thanks Tom! I also have Max, but a very old version that I was given. I've only used it to open models and save in a format that Gmax can read.
    I'm definitely in the 'getting lost in Gmax' category!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

I hate going from modelling in max 17 to Gmax as I am used to using the array or tools and scripts. Workflow, I find, in max is so much easier and fluid where as in Gmax you have a real basic set of tools to model with which makes it harder, I find. This is why I would prefer to be able to model in max and export to gmax for animation etc before exporting to CFS3.

Hi all,

Well, I have installed and tried to use BFF's exporter in 3ds Max 2017 but unfortunately it doesn't work, throwing up runtime errors on the conversion.

All models, from me at least, will have to be through Gmax only as I only have 2017. I used to have max 8 back in the day but many moves later I have lost the copy I had.

Dave.

There was another tool in the dregs of my memory and I found it again – the Gmax-3dsMax Bridge. This facilitates exporting from Max to Gmax as well as Gmax to Max, but I haven't tried it myself. It might be worth a shot since BFF isn't playing nice with your Max. Let me know if you get anywhere!
    Tom

Hiya Tom,

Thank you for that info. I will get it downloaded and see what I can do. If all else fails then I will just use Gmax.

I'll let you know the outcome asap.

Kind regards,

Dave

Cool What a lot of messing around...

So, After trying "BFF" exporter and then "3ds-Max Gmax Bridge" and having no luck transfering models from Max 2009 to Gmax I had almost given up, HOWEVER, I noticed that Gmax will import the .3ds format so I saved my current DCS project that I am using Max 2017 for in a .3DS format and low and behold it imported the entire model, and we're talking a looooooot of polys, straight into Gmax with no fuss.

I has preserved the entire model perfectly and so now should allow me to export it to CFS3.

The only thing I am not sure it does is preserve animation as there is none in my current model yet.

Will do some more testing but I'm pretty confident that we can use any Max to save in .3DS format and then Import into Gmax.

Dave

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    So glad to have you back. Can't wait to see all your work. Thanks ! Regards,Scott

Members who have read this thread: 0