OT: Daily Driver Shopping

Thread: OT: Daily Driver Shopping

OT: Daily Driver Shopping

Decided to shop around for a daily driver just because I can and I'm unsupervised.
    It's a buyers market and I decided to look for something less 'practical' than the usual fare, while I should add I never buy brand new, low mileage dealer demos are my choice.
    So far .........love the black 'Z' with the red one running a close second.
    However (there is always one) red is highly conspicuous and black cars look great on the showroom floor or straight out of the car wash.
    Being me I really should look for stealth grey.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Once upon a time, those are the types of cars I thought I wanted. These days, I want something that I don't have crawl on the ground to get into and out of. The older version of me definitely prefers a SUV or pickup truck.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Once upon a time, those are the types of cars I thought I wanted. These days, I want something that I don't have crawl on the ground to get into and out of. The older version of me definitely prefers a SUV or pickup truck.
    Not a problem for me, I'm in and out and under all of those 'sporty' cars, but I don't want to risk mine in among the 'Tradie' Trucks and SUV traffic, and I did get bored looking at the current crop of 'sensible' cars.
    I've been looking long and hard at a Tesla but the one that I really would only choose is around triple the price of one of the above.
    And the Maserati I really liked is out of the question....................so her indoors tells me!

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

SOH-CM-2020

Re: OT: Daily Driver Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Decided to shop around for a daily driver just because I can and I'm unsupervised.
    It's a buyers market and I decided to look for something less 'practical' than the usual fare, while I should add I never buy brand new, low mileage dealer demos are my choice.
    So far .........love the black 'Z' with the red one running a close second.
    However (there is always one) red is highly conspicuous and black cars look great on the showroom floor or straight out of the car wash.
    Being me I really should look for stealth grey.
    Hi womb666,

each to their own obviously, and I'm sure you've considered this, but you give your location as "southern ocean" and the photos *look* like they could be Aus - there's no way I'd buy a black car in Aus, even a dark red like that is going to be too hot in summer.

I wouldn't even buy a black car here in England where I live now - believe it or not black cars are also too hot here on the few hot days we get, although the bigger problem is that you can't see them for 9 months of the year while we're living in darkness!

Having said that, your photos are great, I can see the attraction. Good luck with your shopping!

cheers,

SW

No black cars is correct, even in the middle of a Southern Ocean Winter!
    I took our recently rebuilt 1989 944 Turbo out for a check drive and while it looks great in black with red accents it warmed up to the point where AC would be a must.
    That on a brisk 16C day with a chilly breeze straight off the Southern Ocean!
    Fortunately we have a couple of prospective buyers (more $$$ than sense - love them!) who are competing for her...................

Icon23

Here in the northeast of the US for along time every other car and light truck on the road was black. It was by very far the most popular color. I never liked it much. Black makes any car look elegant, but I still don't like it much as a car color. And black cars can get incredibly hot in the summer sun.

Now every other car and light truck I see is silver. I'm not sure when the change happened, probably gradually over maybe the last ten years or so. When I recently bought a slightly used Ford that happened to be silver I started noticing that modern sport sedans not only all look exactly alike regardless of manufacturer (except for the grille - usually but not always), but most of them are also the same color - silver. (Sport coupes show a little more variety in their shapes, but most of them seem to be silver too.) A friend and I recently noted car and truck colors as we drove the length of my street and more than half of them were silver.

One might think that silver has become the favorite color of car buyers, but I'm not so sure. The days are gone, at least in the US, when you could walk into a dealership and order a car equipped exactly to your specs and in the color you selected. In those environmentally unaware times, car makers thought nothing of cleaning out paint booths (which produces loads of environmentally awful waste) whenever they got orders for cars in various colors. Now, I've read, they shoot the model year's supply of each color all in single batches and distribute them to the dealers more or less randomly. Equipment options are grouped in packages, added to cars in proportion to how the makers think people will want them, and sent to the dealers. If you want a particular suite of options and colors, you can't order your car that way. You tell the dealer what you want and if they don't have one in quite that configuration they go on line to the other dealers and see if one of them does have it, and if so they arrange a swap. If nobody has exactly what you want, then you can take the closest match or not, take it or leave it. Maybe the closest match to your desired option configuration is in a color you like or maybe not. If not, too bad for you.

So silver probably hasn't replaced black as the car buyers' favorite color. More likely, it's just replaced black as the car manufacturers' favorite color.

I like my silver Ford and I like the options it has, though it lacks a couple that I would've picked. I didn't expect to find exactly what I wanted in a used car, but if I'd bought it new I wouldn't have been able to pick and chose either. Drat! For what a new car costs these days (my slightly used one cost more than my parents paid for their first house!) you ought to be able to pick your color!

Sort of 'Silverish' but we prefer to call it 'Platinum'.
    The Black car was out from day one and the 'Super Red' model looked really swish, but I think that would attract Highway Patrol cars like flies to fresh dog****, while the '50th Anniversary Model' looks hideous in
    white with lots of red stripes and really big decals proclaiming '50th Anniversary'.
    Taking possession in a week as today (Monday) is the start of our Ski Season and the runs are looking great. 'Social Distancing' is the order of the day but that suits me, I really dislike skiing in company.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Kinda disappointing for someone who owns Porsches.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Really disappointing when some Bogan driving a Ford Ranger Raptor TRUCK gouges a piece out of ones' cherished RSR rebuild because he didn't 'see yer funny little car down there mate' !
    And then we have the Ditzy Soccer Mom who uses a Giant Toyota/Nissan/Jeep/GM/Ford(insert appropriate names here) SUV to run the 2.8 'Kiddies' to school, then goes 'shopping' in the SUV taking up two parking bays.
    She manages to leave a scattering of nasty craters, door imprints, and several clusters of what might well be Shotgun pellets in the shiny 'New Build' Black and Red 944Turbo.,and usually replies."What car? No not me at all! Ok?
    That tiny little foreign thing? Why doesn't the owner park it out of the way?

The rebuilt exotics (such as they are) will get out for exercising less and less on the public roads Ferry because the Public Roads are cluttered up with 'Tradie Trucks' now marketed as 'Family Vehicles' and pseudo SUV efforts ranging from the Suzuki Swift on steroids class, up to Chevy Suburban tank category with the AMG Mercedes type of SUV for drivers blessed with teeny tiny little dicks.

Yeah, the 370Z isn't like a Porsche 911 or BMW M3 but it can get from point A to point B quickly and comfortably without causing me a Psychotic Attack if some wheel operative gouges it with an SUV or a Tradie Truck Bogan attempts to run over the top of me if I'm not traveling at warp speed in 'his' lane.

Members who have read this thread: 0