Blackburn Beverley Uploaded - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Blackburn Beverley Uploaded

Blackburn Beverley Uploaded

Hi Nick,

Oh my that was such a funny read about the development of the Beverley. I read the comments below too, which are also just as funny, especially the ones about Court Line buying one with the intention of flying RB211 engines around for their Tristar fleet. They apparently gave up trying to get a civilian registration for it.

Thanks for that link, a real classic.
    Happy Flying.

David Phillips

wow, it's big!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-5-27_21-32-41-806.jpg  
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I found this thread the other day...

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...iends_in_the_M

What a wonderful series of photos! The shot of the camel and the Bev together is classic, although it's hard to tell which is which

Jankees, hopefully you'll apply your brushes to her soon!
    America never stopped being great.

Icon26 Beautiful, Ugly, Aircraft!!

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Hello David, I found this which not only answers your question but is the most amusing read I have had in a while. https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-76608.html
    Thanks Manfred and all the Team. I have always loved beautiful, ugly, aircraft, and they are very high on my favourites with FSX. (Bristol Freighter, Shorts 330/360, C119, Do228, etc.). Great machine, very impressive short field performance. I consulted my copy of “Aircraft of the World, 1965 edition” which gave me only the basic specs, so thank also to the gentlemen who provided power settings and performance figures etc. all extremely helpful. Looking forward to some great textures. Thanks again all.

Re: Beverly reference in Propliner Mag. No. 11

Just following up my previous post. I don’t know if you can still get hold of it, or have access to it, but Propliner Magazine No.11, July to September 1981, has a great article by Alfred Price of a posting he did on Hastings as an A.E.O. in 1958. A number of references to the Beverley, “unfortunate Beverley crews, arriving hot, sweaty, and tired, after their low slow and noisy forced marches to the panic area, and missing out on the normal overnight accommodation being already taken by Hastings, Britannia, and Comet crews, they had to sleep in tents pitched on the airfield”. “Whenever Beverley’s wandered far from their home base, the big Centaurus engines did not take kindly to this type of flying, consequently there was a trail of them stranded along the route, replacement engines. It was not uncommon to send a Hastings out after the Beverley’s with spare engines on board”. A great article of R.A.F. Transport flying during that period, with great photos, including one of 14 Beverleys on the apron at Nicosia.

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Man, what a very well-informed comment, many thanks. Didn't know about the Boost/Map formula, if I had I would perhaps have done Boost gauges instead of MAPs, or at least listed the Boost data as a tooltip (that can still be done).

Your tanks capacity tweak is also absolutely correct, just tried it and it works well giving her quite a bit more range. At the same time, with these tanks full plus the current default 28,000 lbs payload all-up weight goes to 152,000, which is more than the official 135,000 or the unofficial 143,000 limit. So before take off, some adjustment to weight or fuel should be made. Actually, even on 152,000 the model doesn't care much except for being a bit more than usually sluggish.

Wayne unfortunately is no longer with us, but he would have loved your comments.

--Manfred
    Manfred,

I seem to remember if you want MAP in boost you just have to use (A:RECIP ENG MANIFOLD PRESSURE:index, boost inHg) for the animation code and the sim does the conversion for you. Obviously you'll still have to scale for the animation length etc.

Skippy

The animation on the MLG fairing over the torque link is interesting. Blackburn didn't give it retractable gear, but it looks like they did the most to streamline what was hanging out in the breeze! The seating position gives you quite a view too, looking down on all the commoners on the ramp! Fun add on guys!

Beverley Repaints

Thanks for the preview of your texture for the Beverley, Jan Kees. Any chance of it being available for FSX, as I have just gone from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and will be staying on FSX Acceleration, until I find out what is happening with Microsoft next year.

Very Best Regards

MAP - boost - torque

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    I seem to remember if you want MAP in boost you just have to use (A:RECIP ENG MANIFOLD PRESSURE:index, boost inHg) for the animation code and the sim does the conversion for you. Obviously you'll still have to scale for the animation length etc.
    Skippy
    Skippy,

Well spotted, that does the conversion for you and it produces the positive and negative boost values suggested by @nagpaw. So one could easily have 'boost' gauges instead of MAPs, or at any rate add the boost values to the tooltips of MAPs and Monitor. According to the thread linked by Nick/ncooper above, torque gauges were actually fitted as a later mod, and it wouldn't be difficult to replace the MAPs by TORQUE meters either. All of this wouldn't be more than a cut and paste job. Maybe not worth the effort of an official update ... as far as the average simmer is concerned MAP seems to be wider known and understood.

--Manfred

SOH-CM-2021
    Maybe not the place to post shots, but may be of interest.

I was working on the Hastings in 1958, and they didn't have an AEO on the flight crew. Pilot, co-pilot, navigator, engineer, and radio operator. Maybe they gave the radio man a fancy title?

Den.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch1365 View Post
    Hi Nick,

Oh my that was such a funny read about the development of the Beverley. I read the comments below too, which are also just as funny, especially the ones about Court Line buying one with the intention of flying RB211 engines around for their Tristar fleet. They apparently gave up trying to get a civilian registration for it.

Thanks for that link, a real classic.
    Stretch1365, Off topic but if folk are interested the reason the Court Line could not get a civilian registration is the same reason the ex RAF Belfasts really never went civil either (Except two and then one of those ended up in Cairns QLD with RP rego,the other was left in the UK for spares) bureaucratic intransigence and bloodymindedness. In short aircraft certified for the military had to be re-certified for civilian use that meant a brand new type certificate in short all the dramas and paperwork and testing etc etc as if it was a brand new aeroplane, a ruinous prospect for anybody. The second part of that Catch 22 was that the registering country then owned the responsibility for the type certificate and all that entails in terms of Airworthiness Directives and safety monitoring etc etc. How do I know I had the misfortune to be involved here in OZ with the dramas and fights over the Shorts Belfast which was originally rebuilt at considerable expense in the UK and they were fully airworthy when the CoA expired the UK CAA cancelled the type certificate. The people who owned them managed to get the poor buggers in Sierra Leone and then the Phillipines to accept the type (not they were going to comply with airworthiness issues) the aircraft were very well maintained and plied the world trade routes for years. But the Australian CAA/CASA absolutely refused to take up the type certificate. It was a long and protracted battle with the air safety and regulatory authorities that had nothing to do with air safety. In the end they won. An yep it was literally financially ruinous for the folk who owned them.

Thats another reason to love flight sim, you get to fly these weird and wonderful aircraft and you never never have to deal with the FAA, CAA and CASA. That in itself is well, priceless.

Flight Data, Gauges, and Other Stuff

I'm fine either way on the gauges, personally. For anyone interested, here's the power settings stated in the Bev's Pilot's Notes, with the appropriate conversions applied for manifold pressure (rounded down to the nearest whole number):

Max Takeoff (Wet)..........+14 Boost (58" MP) / 2800 RPM
    Max Takeoff (Dry)...........+13 Boost (56" MP) / 2800 RPM
    Max Continuous (Rich).....+10 Boost (50" MP) / 2500 RPM
    Max Continuous (Lean)....+4 Boost (38" MP) / 2400 RPM
    Max Reverse..................+9 Boost (48" MP) / 2800 RPM

"Wet" takeoff power (e.g. using water-methanol injection) was the standard power. "Dry" takeoffs were apparently only used in extreme situations where water-meth wasn't available. Note that the max RPM is 2800. I tried changing that in the aircraft.cfg and it seemed fine. Again, splitting hairs! And while torque gauges were eventually fitted, the boost gauges remained and seem to have been the primary means of setting power.

I've been using +4(38")/2100 or 1800 RPM for cruise. The throttles had a position called ECB that was the dividing line between rich and lean automixture. Setting cruise power involved reducing to 2100 or 1800 RPM and then moving the throttles to the ECB position. If the resulting boost was less than +4, you could then advance the throttles to obtain +4 boost, but only if torque gauges were fitted. All that is well beyond what's modeled, so I just push to +4! The resulting airspeed is pretty close to expected.

I've also been manually leaning. A fuel/air ratio of 0.075 on the monitor display gives approximately peak EGT and an additional 150 nautical miles range at max fuel. Using the monitor display's "set best" function gives a fuel/air ratio of 0.081 and approximately 15C rich of peak. Using the Enable Automixture function gives a constant 0.083 fuel/air ratio and approximately 20C rich of peak. At 9,000 feet, Manual leaning gives me about 135 KIAS, Set Best about 137 KIAS, and Enable Automixture about 138 KIAS.

Sorry...that ran out of control! Hopefully someone finds all that useful!

511Flyer...Apparently the RAF called the radioman the "Signaller." Sounds very nautical! The station in the nose compartment was for the "Supply Aimer." Does anyone know if that person was part of the aircraft crew with second duties (i.e. the Navigator or Signaller), or was that a member of the Air Dispatch team?

JanKees...Beautiful paint! Can't wait to see more of her.

Manfred and/or JanKees...is there a paintkit or blank texture either of you would be willing to share? I've been honing my painting skills, and I've got a few ideas for the Beverley!

uploading as I post this
    2020-5-29_21-55-16-712

2020-5-29_21-59-22-962

2020-5-29_22-3-46-251

let me know what you thinK?

SkipptBing, Nagpaw, et al. Neat find about the MP-Boost conversion, never came across that before either (What else is buried in the SDK one wonders!) I always assumed Boost was used by the Brits because of their imperial measurement systems v the US measurements. LIke Nagpaw i also worked out the conversion for another pre WWII type when tweaking the eng air data and aicraft engine config parameters (The S23).

Yes a curious design and really a STOL aircraft very very similar in concept to another english oddity the BN Islander.

MJ I woudl agree the current guages are fine not many in sim world, except here (LOL) would be bothered to understand the differences or what they mean. Once again never stop learning!

Jankees - nice paint. Installed fine looks great.

Re: Re A.E.O.on Hastings in Propliner article

Quote Originally Posted by 511Flyer View Post
    Maybe not the place to post shots, but may be of interest.

I was working on the Hastings in 1958, and they didn't have an AEO on the flight crew. Pilot, co-pilot, navigator, engineer, and radio operator. Maybe they gave the radio man a fancy title?

Den.
    Yes, I must admit I was a bit surprised by Mr. Price’s reference at the beginning of the Propliner article, but there is a photo of him in a Hastings, at the signallers position. At the end of the article, he mentions being posted to 230 O.T.U. at Finningley, for a course on the then new Vulcan 2s. Just as off subject comment, the same issue of Propliner, has other great articles e.g. Queen Charlotte Airlines featuring the post-war operations of their ex R.C.A.F. Stranraer, and another article of the ferrying of Bristol Freighter G-BISU, from New Zealand to Britain.

Quick question - Are the reverse pitch props modelled? Using F2 for some reason is not doing it for me and there is nothing in the checklist or notes that I can see. The Beverley was capable of landing and coming to a stop within 277 metres according to Wikipedia, I cannot achieve this with braking and full flap alone. I am still hunting for some more detailed gouge that may exist (well for free that is).

Hello, yes, you can find the answer and more notes in the Readme file included in the download. Here is the section on reverse thrust: 3. Key assignment ctrl-W (or whichever key or button you have currently assigned for 'water-rudder') will first arm and then trigger engine reversing. In other words, it needs a double click. Use throttle for more/less braking action. No idea what is the problem with the forum, is seems to be ignoring paragraphs.
    Regards,
    Nick

As Nick says, it's in the readme.txt, there should be one copy of it in the root a/c folder, and one in DOC. Personally, I associate my center joystick button with the water rudder command, which makes reversing really easy to engage by a double click and a bit of throttle. Monitor also has a clickspot for it. Reverse is very powerful as on the real aircraft and really gets you that short field performance.

As for a possible BOOST gauge, here is the best clipped picture I have of it. I seem to see numbers 4, 8, 16 and 24, which conforms with the data listed by nagpaw. My guesswork draft of it is pasted on top. Not sure what the red arc is supposed to indicate...

A very basic paintkit is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8x6v6xro3...ntkit.zip?dl=0

--Manfred
    Last edited by mjahn; May 30th, 2020 at 05:09.

More great images like this can be seen here:
    https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...0s#Post3885986
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

What an great new freeware gift! My sincere thanks to you Manfred and the team for giving us yet another excellent payware quality aircraft.

I have one minor issue which I cannot seem to be able to resolve however and which really seems to be related to the included AILA/GCA system rather than the Beverley itself: Although the first time I loaded and flew the Beverley there were no problems, on the second occasion I loaded it I kept hearing "on glidepath" being repeated every few seconds. I should point out that at this stage I was on the ground and I had never switched on or used the AILA/GCA system. Even when I started the GCA by clicking the relevant SET button, I could not find a way to stop the "on glidepath" sound and it continued being repeated throughout the flight even while other instructions were being given by the GCA! I uninstalled and reinstalled the Beverley hoping this might resolve the issue but it has persisted. I can stop this by deactivating the 'calls' folder in the Beverley panel/GCA folder, but I would prefer to be able to use the GCA facility if possible although it won't spoil my enjoyment of this lovely aircraft if I cannot!

Any advice would however be appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Bill

That is strange, I've never heard of that before. I take it you are using the default installation, not a tweaked one. Multiplayer? "On glidepath" belongs to the PAR controller's calls but apparently PAR hasn't even been turned on, nor should it give any calls when the Beverley is sitting on the runway. Could another instance of the GCA be running in the background? I would investigate along these lines.

Anyway, there are ways to test this. First, when this happens the next time make a screenshot of the Autopilot with the AILA gauge and the Monitor panel and post it here. We can then try readouts of suspect variables in the Monitor 'Test' window.

To temporarily disable the GCA stuff, comment out the following lines in the panel.cfg's [Window03], like so:

//gauge02=GCA_dsd_P3Dv4_xml_x64_sound!Sound, 1,1,1,1,/GCA/gcacalls.ini
    //gauge03=GCA!PAR, 0,0,1,1
    //gauge04=GCA!APC, 0,0,1,1

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    As Nick says, it's in the readme.txt, there should be one copy of it in the root a/c folder, and one in DOC. Personally, I associate my center joystick button with the water rudder command, which makes reversing really easy to engage by a double click and a bit of throttle. Monitor also has a clickspot for it. Reverse is very powerful as on the real aircraft and really gets you that short field performance.

As for a possible BOOST gauge, here is the best clipped picture I have of it. I seem to see numbers 4, 8, 16 and 24, which conforms with the data listed by nagpaw. My guesswork draft of it is pasted on top. Not sure what the red arc is supposed to indicate...

A very basic paintkit is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8x6v6xro3...ntkit.zip?dl=0

--Manfred
    Hi all,

I really don't understand the fine points of these vintage aircraft, but looking at the picture of the boost gauge and Manfred saying he wasn't sure about the red arc and what it stood for, I had a thought. It's very like the boost gauge on my A2A Spitfire, and I recall something in the notes about not flying straight and level with the boost gauge in the red arc. I might be wrong but it was something like that, fine at zero boost or 8" boost but not between.

Someone here will know if I'm going off in totally the wrong direction here.

Best regards.
    Happy Flying.

David Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Stretch1365, Off topic but if folk are interested the reason the Court Line could not get a civilian registration is the same reason the ex RAF Belfasts really never went civil either (Except two and then one of those ended up in Cairns QLD with RP rego,the other was left in the UK for spares) bureaucratic intransigence and bloodymindedness. In short aircraft certified for the military had to be re-certified for civilian use that meant a brand new type certificate in short all the dramas and paperwork and testing etc etc as if it was a brand new aeroplane, a ruinous prospect for anybody. The second part of that Catch 22 was that the registering country then owned the responsibility for the type certificate and all that entails in terms of Airworthiness Directives and safety monitoring etc etc. How do I know I had the misfortune to be involved here in OZ with the dramas and fights over the Shorts Belfast which was originally rebuilt at considerable expense in the UK and they were fully airworthy when the CoA expired the UK CAA cancelled the type certificate. The people who owned them managed to get the poor buggers in Sierra Leone and then the Phillipines to accept the type (not they were going to comply with airworthiness issues) the aircraft were very well maintained and plied the world trade routes for years. But the Australian CAA/CASA absolutely refused to take up the type certificate. It was a long and protracted battle with the air safety and regulatory authorities that had nothing to do with air safety. In the end they won. An yep it was literally financially ruinous for the folk who owned them.

Thats another reason to love flight sim, you get to fly these weird and wonderful aircraft and you never never have to deal with the FAA, CAA and CASA. That in itself is well, priceless.

Hi Bendyflyer,

That's a really great story, and sure is a good reason to stick with sim flying and not get involved in the intricacies of the real thing. I love how all these priceless stories and anecdotes come to the surface when someone releases such an unusual aircraft to the community.
    Happy Flying.

David Phillips

It took some digging, but I have a theory about the red arc on the boost gauge. Mind it's just a theory, since the Pilot's Notes are not all-inclusive.

The diagrams in the Notes show the red arc running from approximately +2 to +6 boost. The Bev's throttles were interconnected with the flaps for what appears to be "go around" protection. If the flaps were selected full down and the power was advanced beyond +6 boost, the flaps would progressively retract until reaching the 20 degree position at +12 boost. For this reason, it was impossible to extend the flaps fully down when the boost was above +6, the top of the red arc. So that's a possibility, although it doesn't explain the bottom of the arc

Thanks for the paintkit, MJ!

BTW, JanKees...that paint looks fantastic. Thanks so much!

Members who have read this thread: 3