Blackburn Beverley Uploaded - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Blackburn Beverley Uploaded

Airdrop files - trying again

Sorry guys, seems to be a case of Murphy's law. Apparently Dropbox changed the link when I added something to the zip. Anyway, let's see if this revision does the trick:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpil4d6sxg...weaks.zip?dl=0

Here are the instructions again:

Code:
    FILE/FOLDER IN ZIP       ACTION

[Beverley_pallet]        add whole folder to SimObjects\Misc 
    [Effects]                update sim's main Effects folder (paratrooper and other effects)

[model.Bev_noclams]      add no-clamshells model to root Beverley folder  
    Beverley.mdl             replace same file in folder model.bev (for animated boom door)

Mis_Pallet_Load.dds      add to folder Blackburn Beverley\texture
    Bev_ears.dds             ditto

Mon.xml                  copy/overwrite to panel\Monitor (adds door 04 and pallets count)
    Keys.xml                 copy/overwrite to panel\Bev (defines Shift-P command)
    Sim_Bev.xml              copy/overwrite to panel\Bev (parajumping control)

aircraftcfg.txt          use this to manually edit your current aircraft.cfg 
                             (add fltsim section for 'noclams' model, replace sections 
                             [smokesystem] and [exits]  

Bev pallets Eglin.FLT    FSX sample flight - copy to your FSX saved flights folder
                             (usually c:\Users\yourname\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\)

Bev pallets Eglin.fxml   P3D 3+ sample flight - copy to p3D saved scenarios folder
                             (usually c:\Users\yourname\Documents\Prepar3D vNN Files\)
    Paratrooper Operation:
    Climb to at least 500 ft AGL, open the boom exit (Shift-E 4), then hit Shift-P. If the two small rear exits (Shift-E 3) are open, too, paras will jump simultaneously from all three locations. Normally, a maximum of 70 parachutists were carried by the Beverley, but here you can hit Shift-P as often as you want.

Pallet-Dropping:
    Load a saved flight which has been edited to have a 'droppable object' section - e.g. use (and study) the sample flight provided. In sim, the presence of pallets will be indicated in a small window, also in Monitor>Test. Take off and fly level (there is no altitude restriction), then hit Shift-D. Watch a pallet drop away. As long as you can still see another pallet in the Beverley's freight hold further pallets can be dropped. Note, no actual weight is added to or subtracted from the aircraft on loading and dropping pallets, or, for that matter, parachutists.
    Last edited by mjahn; June 14th, 2020 at 05:07.

MJ.. Thank you... link works fine now. I'll give the instructions an attempt....Hope I fumble my way through.... Thanks again...........tp

Modifications work grand... Thank you for such a delightful bird..........tp
    Last edited by simtech; June 14th, 2020 at 17:17.

MJ,

That update works great! Thanks again for such a wonderful project. I'm taking a break from painting tonight to actually go fly (I'm pretty sure someone warned me when I started working on textures that I'd never actually fly the sim again...he was right ). I think I'll jump in a Bev and head down into Africa somewhere...
    America never stopped being great.

I second that! A great model.

Nagpaw there is one thing worse than painting - scenery design and construction. That is indeed a rabbit hole!

Relocated out of the Florida humidity to Tako_Kichi's Hobbs AAF (NM83) for further training.

First pass at 800ft. agl to test how well the paras' chutes were packed. None wrapped on the tailplane and all opened in time...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00Bev para 2.jpg   00Bev para 3.jpg  

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Second pass to a touch-and-go, keeping the nose high to give slope to the cargo floor. Shoved the six pallets out along the edge of the runway to keep the field clear. Still lots of room to power up and fly the pattern again to a full stop.

Operations Warrant Officer came out in the borrowed Jeep and confirmed nothing (including the CO's whiskey) had broken.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00Bev para 4.jpg   00Bev para 5.jpg   00Bev para 6.jpg  

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Which book is that? I thought they were all out of print...
    The one I got was Blackburn Beverley by Bill Overton. Fantastically detailed book with tons of great photos. Really dense with info.

It's out of print, but with websites like Alibris, Bookfinder, Powell's, and Amazon, most out of print books are pretty easy to find. (Now, sometimes the more specialized ones are stupid expensive, but I got this for about $30 and it's worth every penny.)

Love the shot of the Beverley trundling off in the distance with the paras dropping close by. Looks like a pretty successful training mission ...

And people say old books aren't worth anything anymore. Guess I better not throw away my stash of aviation books ...

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    And people say old books aren't worth anything anymore. Guess I better not throw away my stash of aviation books ...
    Definitely not. The one issue of Wings of Power I'm missing is going for $95 used on Amazon, because it's so hard to find. (Needless to say, I'm holding out for a cheaper copy to appear online...)

Old books are hard to beat! I find that many newer books were clearly researched through Google and are either incomplete or just plain wrong. One book I picked up a while back has less information about the subject aircraft than your average comic book, and nearly all of the photos were taken from the Navy's freely available online photo gallery. It's sad what some people and publishers pass off as "technical" or "historical" texts. Irritating.
    America never stopped being great.

A little off topic but relevant nonetheless and it is too true Nagpaw. There is a lot of cut n paste rubbish on the net. My example is the Shorts Sunderland - every so called technical reference obviously used the same reference material and just reproduced it but it was all wrong to begin with, finally came across the Air Ministry official handbook and repair manual which gave the precise measurements, control angles etc., none matched the internet available reference material. A couple of inches on the span and incorrect airfoil designator and then chord makes all the world of difference on the lift characteristics of a wing as does the primary flight control surfaces, size and angle of movement. (I fixed this all up and redid the air file for the JBK Hythe which I then converted into a Sunderland - available here at SOH as a download). Another key issues is take off weights etc, basically all WW2 heavies went out routinely grossly overweight with either fuel or ordinance loads. Or the DH Mosquito, stalled at @ 90 knots but had a VMC of 180 knots if you lost an engine on take off big difference.

Hi everyone, Firstly, thanks for a wonderful model! I'm having great fun with it at RAF Khormaksar! I have a question: I am getting a constant Nav1 audio when it's tuned in. The audio ident switch is off but I still hear it. Interestingly it appears to be the higher pitched DME side of it. I've tried the normal control keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+1 through to Ctrl+5 and it doesn't stop. Any ideas? Nigel.

Nigel, check the NAV1 clickspot on the Monitor panel and the MKR button on the DME. If NAV1 is highlighted in Monitor (sound ON) try clicking it off. It may then switch to the standby freq, but if you hit the exchange toggle arrows you should be back to the original un-highlighted and sound OFF. Think of it as a temp hiccup. I'll add it to the list of possible future repairs.

Thanks for the reply.
    Found it!
    It is the DME ident and may be toggled by Ctrl+4
    You can hear it even if the DME is switched off.

Nigel.

All working as it should and thought I would share a few quick images. Two repaints. Jan Kees RAF XB 264 and Napaws RAAF 36 SQDN (fictional) but very nice. The Beverley pictures here at RAF Seletar (MS2004 scenery works fine in FSX like a lot of 2004 and Cal Classic Scenery for those who like their sim world not so modern).

Ready to do a beer resupply run to Butterworth then Da Nang. AT about 44,000 lbs load that is 22 pallets of beer or 63,360 cans or about 3 weeks supply for Aussies in Nam at the time. One Bev would have done the job of 5 Caribou runs but would have been the same as a C130.

Now Big Bev v Fat Albert there is an interesting contest.

Members who have read this thread: 5