Blackburn Beverley Uploaded - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Blackburn Beverley Uploaded

Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post
    Manfred,
    I just reinstalled the update and can report that everything works fine. Brilliant! What a wonderful piece of work. I don't remember what you said, and I can't find the discussion up-thread anywhere: is there any plan to remove the cargo doors and install air deflectors for heavy equipment dropping? No big deal...just curious!
    That's an area I don't know much about. If I can learn how to handle 'droppable objects' I guess I could do it. I know that 'Lazarus' managed to include droppable pallets in his 'elephant ears' version of the Beverley, which is available in the library here.

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    That's an area I don't know much about. If I can learn how to handle 'droppable objects' I guess I could do it. I know that 'Lazarus' managed to include droppable pallets in his 'elephant ears' version of the Beverley, which is available in the library here.
    Manfred,

No need for actually having something to drop, I suppose. I just thought it would kind of cool to have a version without the doors. I still can't believe that's how it was done in the Beverley: removing the doors and flying around with a bloody great hole in the back of the plane! Seems sort of like running around with no pants on. Breezy!

It raises a lot of questions, too, like what if the doors were removed and then, for some reason, the aircraft didn't return to the field where the doors were? Inconvenient! And I'm assuming the doors were interchangeable between airframes.

Thanks again for putting this beast together. I'm having a blast with 'er!
    Last edited by nagpaw; June 7th, 2020 at 14:22. Reason: Fixed a typo.
    America never stopped being great.

Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post
    Manfred,

No need for actually having something to drop, I suppose. I just thought it would kind of cool to have a version without the doors. I still can't believe that's how it was done in the Beverley: removing the doors and flying around with a bloody great hole in the back of the plane! Seems sort of like running around with no pants on. Breezy!

It raises a lot of questions, too, like what if the doors were removed and then, for some reason, the aircraft didn't return to the field where the doors were? Inconvenient! And I'm assuming the doors were interchangeable between airframes.
    The C-119 was no different (and it operated in places with less natural heating) https://i.pinimg.com/originals/55/44...475bd9bca8.jpg

The doors were interchangeable when they left the factory - with a single-use warranty?

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    The C-119 was no different (and it operated in places with less natural heating) https://i.pinimg.com/originals/55/44...475bd9bca8.jpg

The doors were interchangeable when they left the factory - with a single-use warranty?
    You know, I have to admit that I never really noticed that about the C-119. You learn something every day!

Nagpaw - The Clamshell doors on the Beverley were not opened in flight. There was an inward opening double hatch on the top floor at the very aft end of the fuselage just before the end bulkhead and where the tail section commences. Parachutists jumped out using this hatch opening nd those in the lower compartment exited the aircraft from the rear left hand doors or both were used simultaneously. For heavy dropping operations the clamshell doors were removed on the ground and then stored and two specially constructed air flow deflectors were then fitted on either side of the opening. There is an accident/incident report on the top compartment doors which apparently early on were left open and unmarked or flagged and a ground crew member fell out the opening (they were looking for the toilet or something similar) and was fatally injured hitting the ground some 20 ft below the aircraft having failed to notice the doors were open.

Couple of videos on the You Tube

https://youtu.be/57vVZv8-vKQ

https://youtu.be/BSLorDng9o0

Ttfn

Pete

Timber!! Beginning to come to grips with this stuff but some tweaking obviously still needed. The pallet is default P3D but should be portable to FSX.

Look at you go, Manfred! Well done. I would have been content with just having the doors removed, but having something to drop just adds to the aura!

As an aside, I've been working on a few documents to accompany the Bev. The first is a list of how much things weigh. I like to carry realistic loads when I fly, but find myself often asking "how much does a (insert strange object that gets shoved into a Beverley) weigh?" I've included everything of troops with web gear and weapons to paratroops to an average steam roller to small armored vehicle and farm animals. I'll try and finish it tomorrow and upload here, if anyone is interested.

Also, I just uploaded two more textures. The first is a two-pack representing 1958 and 1960 paint variations on the same No. 242 OCU aircraft, perfect for circuits and bounces around the UK. The other is an updated version of my No. 84 Squadron paint that corrects the misaligned stripe on the starboard side, just aft of the wing. Sorry about that! Not sure how that escaped my checks. Rest assured that my OCD kept we awake all last night thinking about it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XL148_242_OCU.jpg  

Great touch Nagpaw like the fact you did the 242 SQDN training unit colours. By the looks of it Manfred has got the doors off done perfectly for drops. It will be a bit of fun too. Chasing up some scenere for where 242 operated, might have to have a go at one myself.

LOVING this plane, and appreciate the even cooler updates, Manfred! Just got a book on the Beverley, it's such an interesting beast.

Are the paratroopers coming out the back, or the door in bottom of the boom? All of the accounts I've read have them dropping from the boom. (As well as a couple of unfortunate people who went into the bathroom and walked out without looking.)

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    LOVING this plane, and appreciate the even cooler updates, Manfred! Just got a book on the Beverley, it's such an interesting beast.
    Are the paratroopers coming out the back, or the door in bottom of the boom? All of the accounts I've read have them dropping from the boom. (As well as a couple of unfortunate people who went into the bathroom and walked out without looking.)
    Which book is that? I thought they were all out of print...

Currently I get the pallet drops by hitting Shift-D (that's default for 'release droppable load', which needs to be loaded via a saved flight). For the paras it is Shift-P (the pushback command) and they can jump either from the trapdoor in the boom or from either of the rear doors - the exact location to be set via co-ordinates in aircraft.cfg. Still have to make the trapdoor cutout in the boom and think about how to organize the update...
    Last edited by mjahn; June 10th, 2020 at 01:06.

Which book is that? I thought they were all out of print...

Currently I get the pallet drops by hitting Shift-D (that's default for 'release droppable load', which needs to be loaded via a saved flight). For the paras it is Shift-P (the pushback command) and they can jump either from the trapdoor in the boom or from either of the rear doors - the exact location to be set via co-ordinates in aircraft.cfg. Still have to make the trapdoor cutout in the boom and think about how to organize the update...

Wonderful news! Thanks for the update.

Looking forward to dropping Land Rovers (flatpack or otherwise depending upon chute reliability..) wherever they may be required Thank you in anticipation, Manfred.

Airdrop Tweaks

To avoid another full package update, here are some quick and dirty manual instructions for making the Beverley capable of dropping paratroopers and cargo pallets. Download the zip and add, edit or replace as indicated below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4twkcb9qya...weaks.zip?dl=0

Code:
    FILE/FOLDER IN ZIP       ACTION

[Beverley_pallet]        add whole folder to SimObjects\Misc 
    [Effects]                update sim's main Effects folder (paratrooper and other effects)
    [model.Bev_noclams]      add folder to root Beverley folder (model without clamshell doors) 
    Beverley.mdl             replace the file in folder model.bev (for animated boom door)
    Mis_Pallet_Load.dds      add to folder Blackburn Beverley\texture

Mon.xml                  copy/overwrite to panel\Monitor (adds door 04 and pallets count)
    Keys.xml                 copy/overwrite to panel\Bev (defines Shift-P command)
    Sim_Bev.xml              copy/overwrite to panel\Bev (parajumping control)

aircraft.cfg.mods        use this to manually edit your current aircraft.cfg 
                             (add fltsim section for 'noclams' model, replace sections 
                             [smokesystem] and [exits]  

Bev pallets Eglin.FLT    FSX sample flight - copy to your FSX saved flights folder
                             (usually c:\Users\yourname\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\)

Bev pallets Eglin.fxml   P3D 3+ sample flight - copy to p3D saved scenarios folder
                             (usually c:\Users\yourname\Documents\Prepar3D vNN Files\)
    Paratrooper Operation:
    Climb to at least 500 ft AGL, open the boom exit (Shift-E 4), then hit Shift-P. If the two small rear exits (Shift-E 3) are open, too, paras will jump simultaneously from all three locations. Normally, a maximum of 70 parachutists were carried by the Beverley, but here you can hit Shift-P as often as you want.

Pallet-Dropping:
    Load a saved flight which has been edited to have a 'droppable object' section - e.g. use (and study) the sample flight provided. In sim, the presence of pallets will be indicated in a small window, also in Monitor>Test. Take off and fly level (there is no altitude restriction), then hit Shift-D. Watch a pallet drop away. As long as you can still see another pallet in the Beverley's freight hold further pallets can be dropped. Note, no actual weight is added to or subtracted from the aircraft on loading and dropping pallets.

Hi Manfred, where are the texture for the Airdeflectors?

To avoid another full package update, here are some quick and dirty manual instructions for making the Beverley capable of dropping paratroopers and cargo pallets. Download the zip and add, edit or replace as indicated below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4twkcb9qya...weaks.zip?dl=0

Code:
    FILE/FOLDER IN ZIP       ACTION

[Beverley_pallet]        add whole folder to SimObjects\Misc 
    [Effects]                update sim's main Effects folder (paratrooper and other effects)
    [model.Bev_noclams]      add folder to root Beverley folder (model without clamshell doors) 
    Beverley.mdl             replace the file in folder model.bev (for animated boom door)
    Mis_Pallet_Load.dds      add to folder Blackburn Beverley\texture

Mon.xml                  copy/overwrite to panel\Monitor (adds door 04 and pallets count)
    Keys.xml                 copy/overwrite to panel\Bev (defines Shift-P command)
    Sim_Bev.xml              copy/overwrite to panel\Bev (parajumping control)

aircraft.cfg.mods        use this to manually edit your current aircraft.cfg 
                             (add fltsim section for 'noclams' model, replace sections 
                             [smokesystem] and [exits]  

Bev pallets Eglin.FLT    FSX sample flight - copy to your FSX saved flights folder
                             (usually c:\Users\yourname\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\)

Bev pallets Eglin.fxml   P3D 3+ sample flight - copy to p3D saved scenarios folder
                             (usually c:\Users\yourname\Documents\Prepar3D vNN Files\)
    Paratrooper Operation:
    Climb to at least 500 ft AGL, open the boom exit (Shift-E 4), then hit Shift-P. If the two small rear exits (Shift-E 3) are open, too, paras will jump simultaneously from all three locations. Normally, a maximum of 70 parachutists were carried by the Beverley, but here you can hit Shift-P as often as you want.

Pallet-Dropping:
    Load a saved flight which has been edited to have a 'droppable object' section - e.g. use (and study) the sample flight provided. In sim, the presence of pallets will be indicated in a small window, also in Monitor>Test. Take off and fly level (there is no altitude restriction), then hit Shift-D. Watch a pallet drop away. As long as you can still see another pallet in the Beverley's freight hold further pallets can be dropped. Note, no actual weight is added to or subtracted from the aircraft on loading and dropping pallets.

Attached, sorry. To be copied to folder 'texture'.

(Zip file updated.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

MJ I am getting a 404 error on the dropbox link.

BendyFlyer +1..Will check back later......tp

Hmm. The download worked for me. I haven't made the modifications yet. I'm finishing two more paints, made with you in mind, Bendy! I think you'll like them...

Ah well one of those things I guess. Look forward to your work Nagpaw, the OCU and Farnborough paints are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Ah well one of those things I guess. Look forward to your work Nagpaw, the OCU and Farnborough paints are very nice.
    Thanks, Bendy!

I stand corrected, BTW. I was thinking about the bev_ears texture file. I am getting the 404 error for the paradrop update.

Here's the paint I'm working on right now. What if the RAAF had chosen the Beverley instead of the C-130? A87-102 of No. 36 Squadron colors, circa 1957 (I reused numbers intended for the RAAF's Vickers Valettas that were never taken up). It's all done...just waiting to see what I need to do with the bev_ears texture! I'm also working on a circa 1961 paint with white fuselage top and updated roundels, but trying to decide how to apply the Dayglo is giving me fits. I can't find a design that looks right!

Nag
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RAAF_A87-102_1957.jpg  

Ha like that, yes an interesting what if? The C130 it was and ever has been, it also marked the departure from things British here not that there was anything wrong the Bev just it was well, fitted with piston engines and I think it was easier to get USD out of treasury than pound sterling for overseas purchases when forex was very tightly controlled indeed. Not sure if the Bev every came down here, the main transport hack the RAF used was the Hastings it did a lot of work in the pacific.

Members who have read this thread: 3