Blackburn Beverley Uploaded - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Blackburn Beverley Uploaded

NCooper and MJahn thank you - as they say when all else fails read the manual. I obviously glossed over that part of the ReadMe.

Re the red section on the boost gauge - this was because these type of superchargers were not geared but had a fixed gearing related to RPM which worked off the manifold pressure and throttle settings, there was probably a point where low throttle settings could have the supercharger delivering too much boost at particular throttle settings giving you a No No, that is low rpm and excessive or high MP, the red line area on the boost gauge. These British superchargers were different to the American ones and even the later Merlins (such as the Lancasters which had a HI-LO switch) which were controlled by a separate mechanism to change or control the supercharger HI-LO, that is the gearing or boost could be controlled separately if somewhat crudely. Even with this type as go up to HI you have to reduce the MP and RPM first so when the HI setting and supercharger is engaged and the addtional air pressure kicks in it does not overboost the engine and hence blow off the cylinders or damage the engine from excessive manifold and hence internal cylinder pressures. The difference is like a having only one gearing and then putting on a new gear box to give you two gears or gearing ratios. Selecting the HI gear was for when you passed the critical altitude or lower atmospheric pressure (generally about 10-13000 ft) so you changed the gear to then get the supercharger to keep delivering higher pressure into the manifolds. Supercharging and turbocharging (came later) was the only way you could overcome the problem of rapidly decreasing air pressure at higher altitudes and hence keep the engine developing good power. The fixed geared supercharger was a simple fix for engine power and in the types they were first fitted , single pilot fighters etc the complexity of gearing and boost settings was considered too difficult and inappropriate in a combat environment where you just needed to go go go. I well remember my first introduction to a geared turbocharged engine and you were taught to gently bring up the power to a certain MP let it stabilise and then slowly and carefully increase the throttle settings as the supercharge kicked in because if you slammed them open the supercharger would very rapidly overboost the engine because all that rotating metal takes a little time to spin up and increase its RPM (Crankshaft weight etc etc), overboost on take off guaranteed a catastrophic engine failure with cylinder literally being blown of the crankcase. Anyway best as I remember this stuff FWIW.

In the sim with these type of aircraft I still employ the same technique and even the Spit or similar i do not give them full or high boost until well away and climbing steadily they are already producing the power you need to get going anway besides the torque reaction is too hard to control otherwise.

The area of piston engine dynamics is one area where the folk who did the sim engine design did a very good job and I think were amazingly clever to capture these issues and factors - turbines not so much because turbines actually work very differently in terms of pressures temperatures, volumetric flow etc etc.
    Last edited by BendyFlyer; May 30th, 2020 at 16:55.

Ok got the hang of the reverse and amazing for an aeroplane this size to land and take off in these distances. A great deal of fun as well. Again well done Manfreed. This is a gem!

The Bev at RAF GAN in the Indian Ocean.

is there room in your hangar for another Beverley, XH123 of 47 Sqn ?

2020-5-31_9-25-1-777

2020-5-31_9-26-6-84

2020-5-31_9-26-41-151

I ask, because it is such a huge bird..
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

JK certainly is room in mine for another Bev. I have parked all the tubeliners in the desert hangar and gone back to pistons. Have not even started to have fun with this one into weird and wacky places, short and rough strips etc.

Okay, after sexing up the boost gauge a bit I have tentatively put it in the engine 1 slot. The grey 9-16 arc I have seen on another picture of a Beverley cockpit. The actual boost value here is 9.2 and the rest you can read off from the Monitor. Anybody want to try it for the full 4 engine set? It only requires very few mods. Whether one can actually make it tally up with the necessary RPM etc. I don't know.

MJ - I would be happy to check out the Boost gauge set up, a little bit of panel config changes to replace the relevant panel config lines with the new gauge and the gauge (xml and bmps) would all that would be required. I have the time on my hands to also cross reference against the Beverley Manual since Covid arrived my real aviation days are now permanent retirement so I have the time and the interest.

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    That is strange, I've never heard of that before. I take it you are using the default installation, not a tweaked one. Multiplayer? "On glidepath" belongs to the PAR controller's calls but apparently PAR hasn't even been turned on, nor should it give any calls when the Beverley is sitting on the runway. Could another instance of the GCA be running in the background? I would investigate along these lines.

Anyway, there are ways to test this. First, when this happens the next time make a screenshot of the Autopilot with the AILA gauge and the Monitor panel and post it here. We can then try readouts of suspect variables in the Monitor 'Test' window.

To temporarily disable the GCA stuff, comment out the following lines in the panel.cfg's [Window03], like so:

//gauge02=GCA_dsd_P3Dv4_xml_x64_sound!Sound, 1,1,1,1,/GCA/gcacalls.ini
    //gauge03=GCA!PAR, 0,0,1,1
    //gauge04=GCA!APC, 0,0,1,1
    Thank you for the very rapid reply, Manfred. Yes, I am using the default FSX-Acceleration with no tweaks apart from the usual highmemfix and not using multiplayer. As far as I am aware the only other GCA system that I have installed was in your C-47 and I have one entry in my airplanes folder related to this - Douglas C-47 GCA-MVC. I flew this GCA equipped model quite a few times to master this technique after first installing it a couple of years ago and there were no problems but haven't used it since then although I have flown the other (non-GCA) C-47s quite a lot in the interim with no unexpected voice callouts. I cannot see any obvious evidence of another instance of the GCA running in the background but perhaps I may be missing something.

I am attaching a screenshot as you requested - this is just after loading the aircraft on the active runway and I have selected the airport (EINN) on the AILA gauge but done nothing else. The intermittent "on glidepath" callout starts as soon as I load the Beverley and before I even open the AILA gauge and I can confirm that the callout voice is that from the GCA_onglidep.wav file in the panel/GCA/calls folder.

This isn't a huge issue for me and I am very happy to use the aircraft with the GCA stuff disabled if necessary, so, unless the solution is obvious, please don't feel you need to spend too much of your valuable time trying to solve this!
    Thanks again,

Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beverley.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post

If you're interested, the formula I have to convert from Boost to Hg" is (Boost x 2.036021)+29.92126. The question I have for someone else is whether that is only true with standard atmospheric pressure (29.92" Hg). Do with it what you will!

A
    Nagpaw the boost values or MP are based on ISA standard pressure. All aircraft are calibrated to ISA standards which is why the various other performance charts have to be devised to show changes in either power settings or speeds etc for ISA deviations (+ and -). In effect the difference will only show with needing less boost or MP or more boost or MP dependant on the deviation from ISA generally in terms of temperature not pressure per se but the standard measurements are then applied either way (temp decreases by 2 degrees per thousand feet and pressure is the equivalent of 30 ft for every 1 Hpa but density changes is calculated at 120 ft difference for every 1 degreee) that is why they give you the charts so you do not have to plot the values for such variations mathematically all the time. It is tricky to get your head around and all newbie real pilots struggle with it at first especially the problem that IAS is not TAS (which is why jets get a Mach meter and only use the IAS at low altitudes, IAS is useless above about F150 to work out speed) after awhile they get the relationship, pressure decreases with height, temperature decreases with height because both temp and pressure mean a change in the relative density of air which has a significant impact on speed and power both. Where everyone comes to grief is when its hot (ISA +) so the air density is less or when its a pressure difference not a temperature difference which could take you the other way (Highs and Low Pressure systems). HUH? Yeah thats enough for today. Basically if the manual says use that power setting - use it! and FSX has already worked it out for you anyway, clever chaps - they really did their homework which is why it gets so real for us and when really clever folk like MJ do very good models they do what the real aeroplane did!

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post

Thats another reason to love flight sim, you get to fly these weird and wonderful aircraft and you never never have to deal with the FAA, CAA and CASA. That in itself is well, priceless.
    Or the overbloated paperwork factory that is EASA..

The 'Whistling tit' (AW Argosy) was lucky, the civilian one came first...

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    All aircraft are calibrated to ISA standards .....
    It is tricky to get your head around and all newbie real pilots struggle with it at first
    That made me giggle, the number of times I have to ask professional "drivers, airframe" of the current turboprop type I work on nowadays, if they have allowed for ISA variation when they moan about climb performance!

Ttfn

Pete

Bendyflyer,

I am attaching the four boost gauges and the background.bmp (to replace the current MAP gauges). The MAP readout is still available in the tooltip. Thanks for giving it a try. Anyone else also invited, of course.

--Manfred
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Scianoir View Post
    Thank you for the very rapid reply, Manfred. Yes, I am using the default FSX-Acceleration with no tweaks apart from the usual highmemfix and not using multiplayer. As far as I am aware the only other GCA system that I have installed was in your C-47 and I have one entry in my airplanes folder related to this - Douglas C-47 GCA-MVC. I flew this GCA equipped model quite a few times to master this technique after first installing it a couple of years ago and there were no problems but haven't used it since then although I have flown the other (non-GCA) C-47s quite a lot in the interim with no unexpected voice callouts. I cannot see any obvious evidence of another instance of the GCA running in the background but perhaps I may be missing something.
    I am attaching a screenshot as you requested - this is just after loading the aircraft on the active runway and I have selected the airport (EINN) on the AILA gauge but done nothing else. The intermittent "on glidepath" callout starts as soon as I load the Beverley and before I even open the AILA gauge and I can confirm that the callout voice is that from the GCA_onglidep.wav file in the panel/GCA/calls folder.
    This isn't a huge issue for me and I am very happy to use the aircraft with the GCA stuff disabled if necessary, so, unless the solution is obvious, please don't feel you need to spend too much of your valuable time trying to solve this!
    Thanks again,
    Bill
    Bill, normally, on loading a plane all its variables are set to zero. That doesn't seem to be the case on your setup. Perhaps you have an app that saves and resets variables on loading the sim or a plane, possibly the C47 GCA-MVC you mention (and could check on this issue).

A simple solution, hopefully, is to explicitly zero the two major GCA variables in the Beverley's intialization run. Initialization happens in Sim_Bev.xml. I am attaching a revised version - simply copy it to panel\Bev, overwriting the original. Then let's see what you get. To make sure the initialization takes control, reload the Beverley a second time. If that doesn't help we can read out the current state of those variables. I'd really like to get this sorted. It is interesting to see that something like this is even possible.

--Manfred

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Bill, normally, on loading a plane all its variables are set to zero. That doesn't seem to be the case on your setup. Perhaps you have an app that saves and resets variables on loading the sim or a plane, possibly the C47 GCA-MVC you mention (and could check on this issue).

A simple solution, hopefully, is to explicitly zero the two major GCA variables in the Beverley's intialization run. Initialization happens in Sim_Bev.xml. I am attaching a revised version - simply copy it to panel\Bev, overwriting the original. Then let's see what you get. To make sure the initialization takes control, reload the Beverley a second time. If that doesn't help we can read out the current state of those variables. I'd really like to get this sorted. It is interesting to see that something like this is even possible.

--Manfred
    Hi Manfred,

When you mentioned an app that saves variables, you reminded me that I generally start FSX using the utility SimStarter NG which I have been using for years. I am not sure whether you are familiar with this utility but it enables me to start FSX using my choice of simulator configuration (essentially FSX.cfg) and scenery configuration (scenery.cfg) and I have created and saved a number of these configurations depending on my planned flight scenario and potential VAS footprint. To be honest however, I do not know whether this utility saves or resets any other variables on loading the sim or a plane as the only elements I ever set it up to configure were the scenery and simulator.cfgs, the latter mainly involving varying the various graphics, display and realism parameters that are usually controlled by the sliders. Still I thought I should make you aware I am using this in case it has any bearing on the issue.

With regard to the revised sim_bev.xml file which you kindly provided, I installed this following your instructions and I then started FSX without using SimStarterNG (just in case it might be contributing to the issue) but the same repetitive call out was still occurring when I loaded the Beverley the first time. Out of interest, I shut down and restarted FSX again (without using Simstarter) and reloaded the Beverley and again encountered the same issue but this time the callout had changed to "turn right"!

Bill

Bill,

Not sure about the configured loading of FSX, shouldn't do any harm, I suppose, and you did try without it. So the search continues... I am now attaching a replacement file for the Monitor gauge that lists the two most suspect variables - APC and PAR - in the Test area as in the pic below. Both values are at zero, as they should be, I have even selected Shannon as my AILA destination, and naturally I can hear no calls. Please copy the attached Mon.xml to panel\Mon, temporarily replacing the original Mon.xml. Your PAR value may say 1, i.e. ON, that would be the culprit. I have added a clickspot to the first line of the Monitor Test window (the FS serial number), if you click that both APC and PAR should be reset to zero. Any insights one way or another with that?

Thanks Manfred,

Just an update. I replaced the original mon.xml file as you suggested but I am afraid the issue unfortunately persists although the repetitive call out this time was different - "on centreline, on glidepath". Incidentally both APC and PAR had a reading of zero as soon as I opened the monitor and, as might be expected with these readings, clicking the clickspot on the FS serial number didn't make any difference.

Bill

Manfed. The Boost Guage works without any issues that I could discover. The MP on the tool tip is actually a nice touch. The guage indicated pressure accurately before start (atmospheric) then engine running. All 4 operated correctly in correct sense. I checked the MP and boost and RPM at all relevant power settings - idle, take off, intial climb, cruise climb and cruise (8000 ft) Checked at sea level location with ISA pressure set. For the values I can find for the Centaurus engine the boost/mp readings are accurate at various power settings and for a supercharged piston engine. There were no issues with the VC gauge display or graphics. Checked on FSXA running on Win7 64 bit OS. I wrote down all the relevant MP/RPM?Boost settings but no point in reproducing that data here, it is correct and obvious when the sim is running.

I think it is preferable to the MP guage with the release and finalises the authenticity of the cockpit.

Excellent work.

For interest is a screenshot of the guages and VC on climb:

Hello All,

Just joined SOH and getting to grips with the Beverley. Thank you Mr. Jahn for a fine freeware product! A couple of questions if i may: Where's the flap lever in the cockpit please? I've found the parking brake! Also, I've downloaded the boost gauges. How do I install them into FSX:SE please?

My wife's older sister is called Beverley (good job they are not twins!!). I'm sure I mentioned to Beverley years ago that there is a plane with the same name. I shall take some delight in reminding her - unless my missus has already told her about me already flying the fat biffa around..

Thanks Bendyflyer, that situation does look spot on.

I think if there is going to be an update I'll include the boost gauges as a panel.cfg option so that the user can decide which one to use. The boost numbers can easily be added to the checklist.

When I started out on this project I was briefly in touch with Kevin Kelleher, who made significant modifications to the original FS 2002 Beverley model by R. Pegram, R. Hazeldine, and B. Horsey. His father was a Beverley pilot, and Kelleher's Notes on Flying the Beverley describe some of the Bev's "pleasant and endearing" handling characteristics:

A few notes taken directly from an original set of Beverley Flight Reference Cards ('checklist' in non-RAF parlance):

Cruise Power Setting (typical) + 4 lb boost @ 2400 rpm

Max Takeoff Power + 14 lb boost @ 2850 rpm

Max Continuous Power + 12 lb boost @ 2850 rpm

Dad describes one aspect of it as being "just like a great big Tiger Moth", in that it needed rudder input to turn the aeroplane - if you put on aileron it would bank but barely turn, but adding rudder, just as on the Tiger, would bring it round nicely. Those of you who've flown a Tiger will know what I mean!

One final note on performance: the Beverley's Achilles heel was the peculiar (and never cured) engine/propellor dynamic interaction which disallowed the use of continuous revs in the range 1900-2350 rpm. This is not the place to go into 'why', but there it was. The practical result was that the pilot had to maintain 2400 rpm in the cruise until sufficient fuel was burned off to allow the revs to be dropped all the way to 1900. Often, this meant 2400 rpm being maintained throughout the cruise, with a consequent reduction in engine life. It was a not-uncommon sight to see a Beverley on three engines.

In spite of this, the Bev was actually a very advanced aircraft for its day. Its appearance (fixed undercarriage, piston engines) cloaked an engineering sophistication. It was the first British aircraft fully to meet the 'Class A' civil safety standards for engine failure on take-off - a Beverley could lose an engine at any time during takeoff and either stop or continue the takeoff; other aircraft of the period (eg HP Hastings) had a time between V1 & V2 when they could neither stop nor continue in the event of critical engine failure. Another safety item new with the Beverley was the set of microswitches on the undercarriage which prevented the selection of reverse prop pitch unless the undercarriage was compressed.

Quote Originally Posted by HighBypass View Post
    Hello All,

Just joined SOH and getting to grips with the Beverley. Thank you Mr. Jahn for a fine freeware product! A couple of questions if i may: Where's the flap lever in the cockpit please? I've found the parking brake! Also, I've downloaded the boost gauges. How do I install them into FSX:SE please?

My wife's older sister is called Beverley (good job they are not twins!!). I'm sure I mentioned to Beverley years ago that there is a plane with the same name. I shall take some delight in reminding her - unless my missus has already told her about me already flying the fat biffa around..
    Pleasure, and I really LOL'ed on this!

No flap lever I am afraid, didn't know where to put it. However, the flaps gauge has clickspots for moving them up and down.

The boost stuff, just copy the 5 files to folder panel\Bev, then in the panel.cfg, replace all instances of "Bev!ManPress1649AFE" by "Bev!BoostPress".

Manfred Glad to help.

For those who want to make the change here is the VC01 from the panel.cfg. Just copy all this and replace the current section (backing up the older one first of course!) as MJ says just drops the contents of the zip into the Bev folder in the panel folder>

[Vcockpit01]
    Background_color=0,0,0
    size_mm=1024,1024
    visible=1
    pixel_size=1024,1024
    texture=$VC_01

gauge00=Bev!Sim_Bev, 0,0,1,1
    gauge01=Bev!OBSVC, 188,480,150,150
    gauge02=Bev!AttitudeVC, 355,346,150,150
    gauge03=Bev!TurnIndicatorVC, 143,181,150,150
    //gauge04=Bev!ILS_cagedVC, 172,324,150,150
    gauge05=Bev!TrimVC, 291,188,150,150
    gauge06=Bev!LightFire, 214,649,26,26
    gauge07=Bev!AirTempVC, 518,350,137,137
    gauge08=Bev!Call_SignVC, 33,350,89,25
    gauge09=Bev!BoostPress_1, 197,20,150,150
    gauge10=Bev!BoostPress_2, 360,20,150,150
    gauge11=Bev!Tachometer1649AFE_1, 524,20,150,150
    gauge12=Bev!Tachometer1649AFE_2, 687,20,150,150
    gauge13=Bev!BoostPress_3, 197,696,150,150
    gauge14=Bev!BoostPress_4, 360, 696 ,150,150
    gauge15=Bev!Tachometer1649AFE_3, 524,696,150,150
    gauge16=Bev!Tachometer1649AFE_4, 687,696,150,150
    gauge17=Bev!Gyro049VC, 5,180,150,150
    gauge18=Bev!VerticalSpeed121GFE, 460,185,150,150
    gauge19=Bev!ClockFE, 850,20,150,150
    gauge20=Bev!AltimeterFE, 818,183,164,167
    gauge21=Bev!flaps, 662,196,126,126
    gauge22=Bev!RadioAltimeterVC, 338,485,183,183
    gauge23=Bev!CarbAirTemp121G_12, 540,505,166,166
    gauge24=Bev!CarbAirTemp121G_34, 715,505,166,166
    gauge25=Bev!vor_1, 392,889,107,107
    gauge26=Bev!asi, 18,7,166,166
    gauge28=dsd_battery_charger!charger, 0,0,1,1
    gauge29=Bev!LightsOMI, 30,654,55,167
    gauge30=Bev!FuelQuantityLeft, 15,849,170,170
    gauge31=Bev!FuelQuantityRight, 190,849,170,170
    gauge32=Bev!VOR2, 669,332,171,171
    gauge33=Bev!hsi, 816,817,204,204
    gauge34=Bev!RMI, 17,480,150,150
    gauge35=Bev!ILS_notset, 578,839,184,184
    gauge36=Bev!APC_PAR, 33,391,32,18
    gauge37=dsd_fsx_fuel_dump!fuel_dump, 2,2,2,2

Quote Originally Posted by Scianoir View Post
    Thanks Manfred,
    Just an update. I replaced the original mon.xml file as you suggested but I am afraid the issue unfortunately persists although the repetitive call out this time was different - "on centreline, on glidepath". Incidentally both APC and PAR had a reading of zero as soon as I opened the monitor and, as might be expected with these readings, clicking the clickspot on the FS serial number didn't make any difference.
    Bill
    Bill,

Reviewing your reports I now think it's likely the errant sounds may be due to some sort of duplicate setup. The suspect item in particular would be the file "GCA_dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau". You do have that in the Beverley's panel folder and a separate panel\GCA folder, don't you? (Just asking because some simmers habitually copy all such stuff to the main gauges folder.) Two additional tests along these lines come to mind:

(1) Rename "GCA_dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau" in the Beverley's panel folder to "BEV_dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau" and edit the corresponding gauge02 of [Window03] in panel.cfg.

(2) (Errant calls still present) Run a file search in FSX to find duplicate instances of "GCA_dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau". Temporarily disable (rename) them and test.

OOPS, another thing. Is there a way of tying all 4 condition levers together to adjust the propeller pitch a la Flight1 Islander for example (toggle separate and tied) so that it's less of a struggle using the mouse to adjust them? Less realistic I know, but I cannot use a virtual hand or pair of hands to move all 4 levers at once. I realise that there are presets on the monitor for takeoff and cruise...

Quote Originally Posted by HighBypass View Post
    OOPS, another thing. Is there a way of tying all 4 condition levers together to adjust the propeller pitch a la Flight1 Islander for example (toggle separate and tied) so that it's less of a struggle using the mouse to adjust them? Less realistic I know, but I cannot use a virtual hand or pair of hands to move all 4 levers at once. I realise that there are presets on the monitor for takeoff and cruise...
    Use the middle mouse button to click once on the controls and they will all adopt the identical movement (same for throttle and mixture); click again to revert to individual movement.

Manfred, et. al.,

I installed the new boost gauges. I wish I could report success like BendyFlyer, but alas, something is amiss. I probably did something wrong. I dropped the new gauges and bmps into my Blackburn Beverley/panel/Bev folder, then edited the panel.cfg by commenting out the MP gauges and substituting the new gauge like this...

gauge09=Bev!BoostPress_1, 197,20,150,150

I did the same thing for the other three engines. The gauges show up correctly and all appears well. But I think the gauge is reading wrong. I performed the following tests...

1) On the ground with all engines shut down, I cleared all weather and made certain the local altimeter was set to 29.92. As expected, the boost gauge reads 0 and the monitor display MP reading says 29.9. Cool.

2) Started the engines and advanced the throttles to takeoff power, +14 boost on the boost gauge. The throttle required was 69% and the resulting MP was 44". That seems really low.

3) I began advancing the power from idle and noting the resulting boost/MP relationship and found the following...

41% throttle gives +0 Boost and 30.0" Hg
    49% throttle gives +4 Boost and 34.0" Hg
    57% throttle gives +8 Boost and 38.0" Hg

So for some reason on my system the boost pressure gauges are acting like the MP gauges, where 0 equals approximately 30" and 1 Boost unit is equal to 1" Hg, which jives with +14 boost being 44" (30 + 14 = 44). But the boost gauge (I believe) should be reading psi above standard, where 0 equals 14.69 psi and 1 boost unit is equal to 1 psi. So the numbers should have looked something like this...

41% throttle gives +0 Boost (14.69 psi) and 30.0" Hg
    49% throttle gives +4 Boost (18.69 psi) and 38.1" Hg
    57% throttle gives +8 Boost (22.69 psi) and 46.2" Hg
    69% throttle gives +14 Boost (28.69 psi) and 58.4" Hg

So something is wrong, and may go back to my installation. Could something be hanging around from the original MP gauges? I'm going to try reinstalling the whole package fresh and see if that solves it. I'll report back later!

Thanks again for working on this! I never thought much of the Beverley until your model showed up. What a fascinating airplane and story! This is why I love flight simming
    America never stopped being great.

Members who have read this thread: 3