Another prodigal child

Thread: Another prodigal child

Blog Entries

Another prodigal child

Just not sure I ever left.. Still, here I am.. It's been a while.. Seems theres still a few of the old crew left so i dont feel completly like a stranger in a strange land.. I'ts nice to be home..

SOH-CM-2023
    Welcome Back!
    You can't take the sky from me...

Welcome back, Pam! Was getting ready to send the cavalry out looking for ya!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Always enjoyed your expertise and comments. Welcome back.

Good to have you back Pam.
    How about we get you micro-chipped so we can find you if you wander off again?
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Good to see you Pam!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Glad to see you back Pam, you've been missed both here and on TS.
    Larry

SOH-CM-2023
    Welcome back Pam, hope you are staying away from this Covid 19.
    Keith

Welcome back.
    Some of my favorite sites,

Dog rescue, Mostly Dalmatians and Beagles
    http://www.rockyspot.org/index.php

Big cat rescue, Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my!
    http://www.gwpark.org/

Holy smokes, Warchild! It seems to me that you were just wringing out the physics on that exquisite X-3 Stilletto......

...Jeepers....

Time certainly flies faster than I do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    Holy smokes, Warchild! It seems to me that you were just wringing out the physics on that exquisite X-3 Stilletto......

...Jeepers....

Time certainly flies faster than I do.

Heh! I still am, sorta..
    The problem is that the X-3 like its other X counterparts, is one of the best documented aircraft ever created. There are no questions left when it comes to that particular planes flight characteristics; at least, not in reality. There IS the F-104, which is the direct child of the X-3 project. Lockheed literally walked into the NACA and carried off all the research and made the starfighter from it. Sadly, the F-104 carries the same exact and fatal flaw as the X-3.
    I know, I say "fatal flaw" like its a hard and fast death sentence for the plane and pilot, but its not.. Adverse yaw was experienced only three times in some 150 flight tests. That wasnt enough to convince Lockheed to not make the F-104, which in turn killed several pilots via the same exact adverse yaw event.
    Welll, needless to say, Aerodynamics was a young and unknown realm of science back in those days, and trans-sonic aerodynamics were completely unheard of. The best anyone could do was put a pilot in the seat and that pilot would report that the aircraft was experiencing extreme buffeting as is broke through the sound barrier, or ended up flipping and going in the opposite direction, like the X-3.
    My problem, is that that adverse yaw is very random and very specific, and FSX/P3D isnt set up for randomness. Neither is X-Plane for that matter. All these simulators are bases on input-output. You provide the input, such as pulling on the stick or yoke, and the simulator provides the output, such as raising the nose of the plane. There is consistency of behavior, which you want for aspiring students, but its not very conducive to realism.
    Paul (Delta 558 ) and I slammed into this like wiley coyote into his own painted tunnel through the rock.. The number of variables that all have to come together in just the right way, are immense, and neither of us had that level of programming ability to write the script, nor did we have a few years to do it in. We ended up making a flight model where if you executed a climbing turn at a specific speed from a specific angle, the plane would perform its characteristic "adverse" yaw effect. Ive never been happy with it though..
    The X-3 itself though, well, that was never anything close to the failure people want to make it out to be. You see? It had a flat bottom. It was the first of its kind, and it was providing lift, that the wings couldnt account for. It didnt add up, and it had the NACA brain boys scratching their heads.. It lead to the lifting/falling body experiments, the SR71, The X-15, The F-14 and F-15 and even the space shuttle. It was unequivocally, the greatest ( if backhanded ) success in the story of aviation. I am quite certain than by the time Lockheed walked through the NACA's door to collect the data, they simply pointed to the pile on the floor and went back to work. They had some real science to chew on now..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Glad to see you back Pam, you've been missed both here and on TS.
    Missed the hell outta you too Tako.. Missed all of you.
    God's; I'm dieing to ask about the C-119, but I'm also worried it might be a sore spot or a sadness.. Still, I would love to know whatever happened to it, and find out how i can get my hands on it.. ::LOL::

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    God's; I'm dieing to ask about the C-119, but I'm also worried it might be a sore spot or a sadness.. Still, I would love to know whatever happened to it, and find out how i can get my hands on it.. ::LOL::

DO NOT WAKE THE SLEEPING BEAR THAT SCREAMS.........................

"IS IT DONE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shushing-smiley.png   best-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif  
    Larry

Members who have read this thread: 1