Holiday by plane......

Thread: Holiday by plane......

Holiday by plane......

Due to all restrictions, holidays abroad will have to wait for at least another year. I had plans to go to France, but abandoned these plans already. But I took a small holiday in FSX, visiting an area where I often did spend my holiday with wife and kids.

Taking off from Armor airfield near Saint-Brieuc. In the back the river Gouët, with it steep banks. Always a delight to climb them by bicycle.

Crossing the bay, flying in the direction of Cap Frehel. Sadly without the famous light house in ORBX. Ahead the city of Erquy and the golden beaches. (Sables-d'Or-les-Pins)

Following the wild coast suddenly the might Rance on the right. The large bassin fills and is emptied by the tides. At the entrance of the bassin "la marémotrice EDF de la Rance" Where electricity is create with the force of the water.

After I have left Saint Malo behind me I reach Pointe du Grouin a rocky peninsula which points a finger to the large Atlantic Ocean. The small village is Port Mer with a beautiful view over the "Baie Mont Saint Michel"

In the bay of Saint Michael's Mountain, one of the famous landmarks from France. The real thing looks far more impressive than the example in ORBX.

After the "mont" I follow the coast of Normandy

Where I land at the airfield of Grandville. BTW landing this small aircraft is quite a challenge as it just want to keep flying............

Do you have a holiday or favourite area to share as well? Its amazing how easy how well the shape of the coast line is done. However there are not much recognisable landmarks in the north of Brittany (France).

Cheers,
    Huub

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​What aircraft is that Huub?

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Pat,

Its the beautiful Dewoitine D510 done by JMC, or known as "gastonj" here at the Sim-Outhouse. He did the complete range of the aircraft from the D500 to the D510. Nice models with excellent VCs, which are typical French cockpits with all non-standard gauges.
    The Dewoitine D500 was an all metal fighter in the early 30-ties, while other large industrial countries were still developing conventional bi-planes. Like the Heinkel He52 in Germany and the Bristol Gauntlet by the British.

I always look at it as the logical step between the conventional biplanes and the full metal fighters like the Spitfire, Messerschmitts, Curtiss P-36, etc.

The Dewoitines are available here: http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia....-Creations.htm (you have to scroll down a bit to find them).

While you are there don't forget to pick-up the reasonably new Stampe Vertongen SV4a Mod2 models. The Belgium light trainer which entered service in 1937. Although its a remake of an older model, its a absolute gem!

Cheers,
    Huub

​Thanks mate.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

In case I still need to convince you Pat............

The VC from the D500:

and the VC from the D510:

And the mentioned Stampe Vertongen as two seater:

and a single seater:

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi Huub,

I've reinstalled my PC a couple of days ago, and I have ORBX global installed, but I do not have that "Mont Saint-Michel" in my sim. Do you have some addon installed that caters for those church buildings?

In the old days (FS9) one of my favourite scenery addons was Pleurtuit airport which came with a nice rendition of Mont Saint-Michel. maybe there finally is an FSX version available of the scenery?

Any help or pointer would be hugely appreciated!

Priller

Hey Priller,

I have Open LC Europe installed and I think it came with that. But there is an alternative available.

As you are from Belgium your French should be at least as good as mine.

https://www.rikoooo.com/fr/forum/155/33268

I didn't have any problems to download the scenery from Pascal Dumat's site.

Cheers,
    Huub

And a dramatic picture from the real thing which I took 5 or 6 years ago, when they were rerouting the river to get rid of the sand around the abbey.

Wow, what a fantastic photo.
    I had the pleasure of staying there as a teenager with my family during a holiday back in 1981.
    One of the best experiences of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Hey Priller,

I have Open LC Europe installed and I think it came with that. But there is an alternative available.

As you are from Belgium your French should be at least as good as mine.

https://www.rikoooo.com/fr/forum/155/33268

I didn't have any problems to download the scenery from Pascal Dumat's site.

Cheers,
    Huub

And a dramatic picture from the real thing which I took 5 or 6 years ago, when they were rerouting the river to get rid of the sand around the abbey.

Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    In case I still need to convince you Pat............

The VC from the D500:

and the VC from the D510:

And the mentioned Stampe Vertongen as two seater:

and a single seater:

Cheers,
    Huub
    No convincing needed Huub. I got them all. Now to see how they look in P3D V5 HF. The Stampes actually look like Tiger Moths.

Cheers
    Pat

Hi Huub,

Thanks for the pointer, but sadly no joy. Open LC Europe didn't do the trick, although the coastlines look a lot better now (as do the mountains around Interlaken, but I digress) Could it be that you have the HD Buildings from ORBX installed?

Cheers,

Priller

Thats Orbx and France VFR Basse Normandie

Roland

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-5-23_22-31-6-396.jpg   2020-5-23_22-31-22-913.jpg  

Just a comment from a FSX long time fan: these screens are definitely grey, far too much, it is absolutely not even close to reality. Even in Normandie famous for its rainy weather.
    Seriously.
    This is the main issue that prevent me to move to P3D, actual life is fortunately much more colourful.
    Thanks God!

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    The Stampes actually look like Tiger Moths.
    ....The story goes that a Tiger Moth and a Bucker Jungmeister got drunk and spent the night together. A while later a new plane was born.....they named it Stampe...

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    ....The story goes that a Tiger Moth and a Bucker Jungmeister got drunk and spent the night together. A while later a new plane was born.....they named it Stampe...
    That explains why the Stampe is the better looking on of the two

Although The Stampe Vertongen SV.4 at first glance appears very similar to the RAF's Tiger Moth, however the Stampe SV.4's performance is better and it possesses full aerobatic capability. Only 35 aircraft had been produced before the onset of WW2 and production only re-started in 1947 when a further 905 aircraft were produced most of which were built under licence by SNCAN and Atelier Industriel de l'Aéronautique d'Alger. The main military user of the Stampe SV4 was the Belgian Air Force who used the aircraft from 1947 until 1975 and the French Air Force.

It is of interest to note that one Stampe SV4 flew with the RAF's 510 Squadron following it's theft and clandestine flight to England by two daring escaping Belgian pilots in 1941.

(source: http://www.airpowerworld.info/trainers/stampe-sv4.htm )

Cheers,
    Huub

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mercure View Post
    Just a comment from a FSX long time fan: these screens are definitely grey, far too much, it is absolutely not even close to reality. Even in Normandie famous for its rainy weather.
    Seriously.
    This is the main issue that prevent me to move to P3D, actual life is fortunately much more colourful.
    Thanks God!
    Have had the same experience with the lighting. Spent a few hours tweaking my monitor to no avail.

Members who have read this thread: 1