vLSO UAC Ball and Clara Calls

Thread: vLSO UAC Ball and Clara Calls

vLSO UAC Ball and Clara Calls

Hello,

I'm guessing there are a few vLSO users here . I've been using it for a while, and several times I've tried to figure out how to set up manual ball and clara calls via the user activated commands menu. I just can't get them to work.

In the first place, I can't tell which joystick buttons vLSO recognizes. I use the Windows controller dialog to test the buttons I want, but don't know whether they're seen as joystick one or two in the vLSO menu. I've tried every option possible and mashed buttons frantically in the groove... no calls are ever recognized.

I've tried using various sim events by looking up the simconnect command names and pasting them into vLSO per the manual. I then try to assign the relevant key command to a joystick button using FSUIPC. Nothing gets recognized, either through the joystick button or actually hitting the keyboard keys.

I thought part of the problem might be that I'm using the VRS Superbug and it uses its own custom "key command mode", but turning that off seems to make no difference.

Also, when trying to assign joystick buttons directly in vLSO's menus, I often have errors pop up when I try to close the settings page and return to the main vLSO page with the logbook displayed.

I'd really like to get this working and am running out of ideas. If anyone out there is using vLSO manual ball and clara calls with the VRS Superbug, could you please share your workflow for getting it to work?

FSX Acceleration, btw.

Thanks!

Ball and Clara

I setup mine for the joystick very simply. Open up ANY aircraft in the sim. Then when you the aircraft at the airport, open up ADDONS and click on FSUIPC. Setup as if you are going to assign a joystick button for an action and when you click the button FSUIPC will tell you what joystick it is and what button it is. Write that info down somewhere for Ball Call and Clara and Clara Call it will take 3 buttons to assign the 3 of them. THEN you can go back to vLSO hardware and select the proper button in the proper dropdown box. If you don't understand what I mean then I can try and post screen shots of those screens. Let me know how it works. I had no problem. I agree that when you click a button in vLSO it didn't work for me so I did it that way and it worked.

I haven't flown an approach yet with them just getting back to carrier ops after 2 years. I have to qualify all over again just like real life. I'm starting my training in the Alpha/Virtavia T-28C Trojan which is free right now over there for FSX. Ant's is a "better bird" I'm told but its not free and I'm spent my money at Navigraph this month. So its Virtavia and off to NOLF Joe Williams in VT-27 at NAS MERIDIAN in 1960. I downloaded the NOLF from vLSO complete with the Mk14 trailer and also reinstalled KNMM NAS Meridian, MS.

Thanks for the reply. The problem I encounter when doing that is, FSUIPC calls my controller "joystick 0", and there is no joystick zero option in vLSO. When I try assigning the same buttons FSUIPC identified, but on either of vLSO's joystick options (1 or 2), nothing happens.

I dunno

Mine comes up Joystick 1. Maybe post that at the FSUIPC forum or FSDevelopers for maybe more help. You can try vLSO forum too. Sorry I wasn't more help.

I appreciate the ideas. Regarding the vLSO forum, is that the Hornet forum at FSDreamteam, or is there another one somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by stearmandriver View Post
    I appreciate the ideas. Regarding the vLSO forum, is that the Hornet forum at FSDreamteam, or is there another one somewhere?
    This is the home of vLSO.

http://vlso.blogspot.com/

Hey, I got it sorted! Thanks for all the suggestions. In the end, it seemed to be a combination of my system labeling my joystick and buttons differently depending where you looked, and vLSO throwing an error that resulted in menu choices not being properly stored when exiting back to the main page. I had to edit the vLSO .xml file directly, and it seems to stick as long as I don't open the settings page again. Then it was just a matter of trying different combinations of joystick and button names until I found the winners lol.

My main reason for wanting the manual ball call was so I could hopefully fly a tighter pattern and get rid of the LIG score dragging down my pass grades. It seems an OK pass is impossible if you're long in groove. And when you let the auto ball call happen, it always happens at .7 DME, and if I'm flying a tight enough pattern to not be LIG, I'm inevitably still outside line up parameters at that point and get waved off.

Sure enough, with a manual ball call I can wait until .6 or .5 DME and I'm lined up by then. Success!

... The bad news is, my tighter patterns SUCK. I'm lucky to get a fair right now 😁. But at least the possibility is now there! Fun stuff...

Still Lookiing

I'm still looking for an LSO who doesn't hate me and my flying skills. LOL!!! Maybe this time around. Glad that you got it sorted out. I am going to use your suggestions and see if I can get passing grades too. That actually is why I quit flying vLSO before. I thought that my landing were pretty good, only he didn't. I think that "Paddles" said that this brand new version has been tweaked a little for us "nuggets" if I read it correctly. Later.

Hey, I got it sorted! Thanks for all the suggestions. In the end, it seemed to be a combination of my system labeling my joystick and buttons differently depending where you looked, and vLSO throwing an error that resulted in menu choices not being properly stored when exiting back to the main page. I had to edit the vLSO .xml file directly, and it seems to stick as long as I don't open the settings page again. Then it was just a matter of trying different combinations of joystick and button names until I found the winners lol.

My main reason for wanting the manual ball call was so I could hopefully fly a tighter pattern and get rid of the LIG score dragging down my pass grades. It seems an OK pass is impossible if you're long in groove. And when you let the auto ball call happen, it always happens at .7 DME, and if I'm flying a tight enough pattern to not be LIG, I'm inevitably still outside line up parameters at that point and get waved off.
    Hi stearmandriver,
    Good to know you've managed to solve your UAC problem.
    Well, I have a couple of questions that I hope you wouldn't mind answering.
    - What vLSO version are you using, which throws the error (and what error)?
    - What stick/button names are you using instead of, say, <UAC_Ball source="joystick:0:button:0"/>. Or, how does your system label them?
    vLSO uses SimConnect calls to obtain stick buttons state, and these buttons named simply as button:X, where X is from 0 to 31 (i.e. 32 buttons total). Hence same names in the vLSO.xml config file.
    vlso.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by fsxnavypilot View Post
    Hi stearmandriver,
    Good to know you've managed to solve your UAC problem.
    Well, I have a couple of questions that I hope you wouldn't mind answering.
    - What vLSO version are you using, which throws the error (and what error)?
    - What stick/button names are you using instead of, say, <UAC_Ball source="joystick:0:button:0"/>. Or, how does your system label them?
    vLSO uses SimConnect calls to obtain stick buttons state, and these buttons named simply as button:X, where X is from 0 to 31 (i.e. 32 buttons total). Hence same names in the vLSO.xml config file.
    Hey Paddles! Currently using 1.1.2.2, but I've had the issue with errors for the last few versions.

The error, when it occurs, happens either when opening or closing the Setup page (accessed with the gear icon at bottom of main page). The error message says something like "index out of range -1" (those numbers seem to change depending on which joystick buttons I choose).

It "might" be related to whether a practice carrier is chosen from the list to the left of the UAC dialogs, even though I'm not trying to use the "practice carrier" UAC since I spawn my carriers using Tacpack. Choosing a carrier from the list vs leaving "none" selected seems to influence it though.

Regarding button names, the format is as you say. This part I think is weirdness on my system and not the software. The problem is, when I try these joystick buttons in the windows controller menu vs the Thrustmaster TARGET software vs FSUIPC vs the FSX Controls menu, they all indicate different joystick and/or button names for the same damn buttons . FSUIPC calls them Joystick 0, Buttons 0 and 10. FSX calls them joystick 1, buttons 1 and 11. The winning combination seems to be Joystick 1, buttons 0 and 10. I dunno .

Thanks for all the work on this software though. I was watching videos of the DCS supercarrier add on the other night, and thinking how - as good as it looks - it's just not as immersive as what can be achieved with real world weather, a carrier that steers to the wind, and vLSO.

Regarding button names, the format is as you say. This part I think is weirdness on my system and not the software. The problem is, when I try these joystick buttons in the windows controller menu vs the Thrustmaster TARGET software vs FSUIPC vs the FSX Controls menu, they all indicate different joystick and/or button names for the same damn buttons . FSUIPC calls them Joystick 0, Buttons 0 and 10. FSX calls them joystick 1, buttons 1 and 11. The winning combination seems to be Joystick 1, buttons 0 and 10.
    Yes, the numbering of joysticks/buttons is confusing, to say the least
    Usually (for programmers) these numbers are zero-based, but for the user (usually) they start from 1. However, your winning combination is a crazy mix of both - your stick number starts from 1, but the buttons numbered as zero-based. Stuff happens...

Anyways, I keep working on my new release, nailing bugs here and there.
    Stay tuned!
    vlso.blogspot.com

stearmandriver,
    My new 1.1.3.0 vLSO is out. A few errors in UAC management corrected. Please test it to make sure it works ok now.
    vlso.blogspot.com

Members who have read this thread: 1