FSX Acceleration from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Any issues?

Thread: FSX Acceleration from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Any issues?

FSX Acceleration from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Any issues?

Hi Guys, A quick one! My Windows 7 equipped computer, started shutting down due to CPU overheating.
    my local computer guru advised me that not only is it failing, but RAM is also a problem etc. The unit is a tower computer, 12 years old. I am running FSX Acceleration, and have only recently installed a new solid state hard drive, FSX Acceleration being on this drive. I can no longer put off Windows 10, and after discussion with said guru, have asked him to go ahead and make up new computer with Windows 10, and all the necessary bells and whistles. He believes there should be no problem with FSX Acceleration being integrated into Windows 10, but he is not totally sure. My FSX Acceleration was originally installed when I had Windows XP, and when transferred to Windows 7, there was no problem.

Any ideas thanks?

I've never had problems running FSX on Windows 10, even though I don't use it anymore.

Does that answer your question?

Cheers,

Priller

Did recently something very similar to what you are doing with a new rig.
    No problem at all to run FSX accel in Win10 64bits, only the installation has a few possible known bugs, that can be overcome with some fiddling, easy.
    The performance difference between new and old rig will be stunning.

Went from windows7 to Windows10 on my 12 years old system without any problems. FSX actually did run better under Windows10. I currently have FSX Steam edition under Windows10 on my new system and again without any problems.

In short: Windows10 and FSX are a good match for me.

Cheers,
    Huub

Because I got fed up with the continuous updates of the FSX-SE Steam client bloatware, I re-installed the old FSX/A DVD's on W10 v1909 Home Edition (64 bit). Basically it was straightforward except the activation procedure. FYI my notes:

At the beginning of the installation, you'll see a "Options" at the bottom of the screen. Click on that if you want to change the directory.
    In order to install Acceleration, FSX must be activated, online activation still worked in Feb 2020.

If you did not see the activation box, then you need to go to the following site and download and run the reset tool:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ht-simulator-x

Once FSX is installed and activated, you can install Acceleration.
    After installing the Acceleration disk, FSX will produce an error upon launch because the Acceleration activation box does not work.
    Exit FSX completely and then follow these instructions:

1. Run Registry Editor, expand the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

2. After you find the key, double-click Upperfilters on the right side.

3. Change the value from 0 to PartMgr (note, this is case sensitive), delete any other word that may be next to it and click OK.
    If the PartMgr entry was already there do this: Double click UpperFilters and replace "PartMgr" with "0" and click OK.
    Then repeat this and change the 0 back to PartMgr and click ok.

4. Close Registry Editor and reboot Computer.

5. Start FSX, this time the online activation box should come up.

6. After activation, close FSX, launch File Explorer, open the FSX.exe properties and select the Compatibility tab. Then tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" checkbox and select option Windows Vista (Service Pack 2). This last step is optional, it helped me solving ctd's when I change aircraft in flight mode.

I agree with the previous responders that FSX/A runs very well on W10. P3Dv4.5 is my main sim, I only use FSX for testing purposes so I was not worried if the old DVD version of FSX/A would perform less than FSX-SE. To my surprise I do not see any noticable difference.

You might benefit from my mistakes....

I have FSX-SE and I migrated over to W10 not long ago.

I did fresh installs from the digital downloads for ALL my add ons BUT I did not know that one MUST run EVERYTHING as ADMINISTRATOR with W10....

It has taken me a long time to sort out all the issues I have had due to that simple mistake - many of my add ons had to be uninstalled and re-installed to get them to run properly.

At least with Accel you probably wont have the product registration issues I have had with Steam! Took several tries for it to fully register my products.

NOW I think it is pretty much sorted out and is running fine (barring the occasional W10 auto update which can cause headaches!).....

Hope this helps!
    The Sky is the Limit
    The ground is just an unfortunate inconvenience!

Thanks to All re Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Many thanks to Priller, Mercure, Huub Vink, hschiut, and Bruce66, for you input and advice. All went well, with the transplant from W7 to W10, thought there are some problems with sound re “MM system Error”, which appears to be related to a fault in the new motherboard. My local computer guru is onto it, and hopefully should be up and running properly in the near future.

Thanks again, Catboat

Win10 FSX install:
    What if you don't accept the key and this screen receives

Please help me,
    Zsolt
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Members who have read this thread: 0