Newbie CFS3 controls for keyboard and mouse

Thread: Newbie CFS3 controls for keyboard and mouse

Newbie CFS3 controls for keyboard and mouse

Hi i have installed cfs3 recently a 2 bob mods (2 different folders) and would like to know is there any way to make the keyboard controls playable or enable mouse for flight control - the controls for CFS1 and CFS2 are great and i would like to be able to have a similar setup for CFS3 as i dont really like using joysticks if i dont have to - especially as i really like just casually playing flight sims, also joysticks tend to cause me pain in my hand there are keyboard controls for cfs3 i know but they are impossible to control aircraft with - especially the elevator which does not at the least have some kind of centring like the trim does - but even that makes for a strange way to fly. ts like i am trying to steer a spaceship in elite or something but with with to little reverse thrust control i swithc on auto trim but it does very little to change the problem and even i select the easy flight model, still the aircraft has no fine keyboard control. if there is no other option, i will have to relent and use a joystick sigh

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Joysticks are the best option. This is a simulator and keyboard flight controls are not very good. Regards,Scott

I can't imagine playing a flightsim with a mouse but maybe that's mostly habit and prejudice. But you might want to try vJoy:

https://github.com/raptorswing/MouseToJoystick

http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/

thanks - i got vjoy a while ago but could never figure out how to use it - it seems to be a joystick emulator which i need a joystick for to use

Quote Originally Posted by 33lima View Post
    I can't imagine playing a flightsim with a mouse but maybe that's mostly habit and prejudice. But you might want to try vJoy:

https://github.com/raptorswing/MouseToJoystick

http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/site/

Thanks 33Lima! i got it figured out now - needed that mousetojoystick prog . its great now i can play cfs3 in a much less frustrating manner!

Glad you're sorted!

You asked 'in another place' about mirrors which where they exist seem mostly painted on CFS3 aircraft. I just happened to be poking around in the .xdp files for ETO and BoB Spitfires (to see if there was anything I could fiddle, to stop the little side door flopping down when the canopy opened - the ETO Hurri also does this, but happily its BoB twin doesn't) and I noticed the Spit Ia were assigned a station called mirror. So thinking this might equate to a view astern I hit some random keys while flying that aircraft and Hey Presto, with the F6 key...

Seems to work for all the Mk I Spits but not present for Hurricanes. Not ideal as it's not a 'rearward view within a forward view' and a bit Linda Blair to boot, but it's there if you want it.

thanks for discovering that - but what did you do exactly to make it work ? you hit some random keys then f6? i am not sure how i replicate that

Some cockpit models have a rearward facing station modeled, and most don't. Effective, but not very realistic.

With TrackIR if you set the speed high enough, combined with an appropriate yaw profile, you can lean to the side and look back from within the cockpit, and accomplish a realistic check six.

With some modification of the cockpit reflective textures to take advantage of AnKor's shaders, you can also get a decent simulation of a working mirror, but don't count on spotting aircraft in your blind spot that way.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by agathosdaimon View Post
    Thanks 33Lima! i got it figured out now - needed that mousetojoystick prog . its great now i can play cfs3 in a much less frustrating manner!
    Hi,

May I know what settings you had used to get vjoy running with cfs3? I just can't get it to work. What settings did you use with the mousetojoystick app?

Blog Entries
    You asked 'in another place' about mirrors which where they exist seem mostly painted on CFS3 aircraft. I just happened to be poking around in the .xdp files for ETO and BoB Spitfires (to see if there was anything I could fiddle, to stop the little side door flopping down when the canopy opened - the ETO Hurri also does this, but happily its BoB twin doesn't) and I noticed the Spit Ia were assigned a station called mirror. So thinking this might equate to a view astern I hit some random keys while flying that aircraft and Hey Presto, with the F6 key..
    I think that all the BoB install Spits and Hurricanes have the 'mirror view' installed, I'm pretty sure that I fixed that side door too.

"Linda Blair" ? Please expand!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Quote Originally Posted by Aks View Post
    Hi, May I know what settings you had used to get vjoy running with cfs3? I just can't get it to work. What settings did you use with the mousetojoystick app?
    hi! sorry i missed this post, but saw your post over on flightsim.com i will have to test my settings again if you still are having problems

i was hoping to use the ppmouse application which i used for IL2 1946 because there is actual rudder control with holding right button and moving the mouse left and right, but it seems CFS3 doesnt like ppjoy - it shows me the ppjoy mouse stick in the settings, but clicking calibration the controls dont respond in the USB Game Controller section. have tried the vjoy app made by RaptorsWing but i dont know why he made a flight control with no rudder input and the auto center makes me go bonkers even at the test joystick window...
    Last edited by tahzib; October 14th, 2022 at 23:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    ... "Linda Blair" ? Please expand!
    Here you go, Clive : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSxuXQCEC7M

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Members who have read this thread: 3