Boulton Paul Defiant MkII radar equiped uploaded
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boulton Paul Defiant MkII radar equiped uploaded

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country

Boulton Paul Defiant MkII radar equiped uploaded

Hi All,

A new Defiant MkII with working MkVI AI radar has been uploaded. It uses the same Radar package that the recently released Blenheim included.

It is the original model of the Boulton Paul Defiant built for CFS3 by Greg Law, with additional
    main model work by Clive Morley, and Ted Kanuka,
    cockpit and gunner station built by Steve Seybolt.
    Radar modeling by Steve (Sdsbolt) Seybolt and Daniel (Gecko) Holtz.
    Textures by John (Bravo/4) Whelan, Main and Virtual cockpit.
    Mos File by Rob (Capt. Winters) Stevenson.
    XDP compilation, research by Rob (Capt. Winters) Stevenson.
    Flight Model By Ted (Nachtpiloten) Kaniuka.
    weapons stock CFS3.

It can be found in the British aircraft section on the downloads page.

please see included readme for instructions.

regards Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mkvi-illus.jpg   defiant2.jpg   defiant.jpg  
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Brilliant!!!
    Take Care
    Stuart

Thank you so much Rob and team, and Steve for the AI MkVI!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Very clever! Grabbing it now...if I can find it in the dark

Very very nice!

Thank you to all.

Cheers

Shessi

SOH-CM-2020
    Thanks for a fascinating package! I'll have to start editing campaigns to allow night flying!

I'll be interested to see the set-up for the turret - the original MkII used Trainable="1" Trigger="1". There were also damageboxes with probabilities that did not add up to 100

<Box ID="damagebox_nose" Parent="damagebox_fuselage">
    <BoxMap SystemID="nose_structure" Probability="24" Points="108"/>
    <BoxMap SystemID="engine_one" Probability="44" Points="115"/>
    <BoxMap SystemID="oil_reservoir" Probability="15" Points="82"/>
    <BoxMap SystemID="coolant_reservoir" Probability="5" Points="58"/>
    </Box> <Box ID="damagebox_canopy0" Parent="damagebox_fuselage">
    <BoxMap SystemID="texture_canopy" Probability="54" Points="25"/>
    <BoxMap SystemID="pilot" Probability="21" Points="180"/>
    <BoxMap SystemID="bomb_release" Probability="17" Points="64"/>
    </Box>
    <Box ID="damagebox_canopy1" Parent="damagebox_fuselage">
    <BoxMap SystemID="texture_canopy" Probability="54" Points="25"/>
    <BoxMap SystemID="radio" Probability="8" Points="30"/>
    <BoxMap SystemID="bomb_release" Probability="17" Points="64"/>
    </Box>.

Not saying this is the case with the current model - just seemed like something worth mentioning with renewed interest in this luverly model.

Actually it looks like the damagebox probabilities are unchanged in the new version. Not being a modeller, how does this affect the representing of damage for the damagebox? Does it just make it non-functional over the specific damagebox?

I'm looking forward to taking this eccentric and unusual bird for a spin!

Actually it looks like the damagebox probabilities are unchanged in the new version. Not being a modeller, how does this affect the representing of damage for the damagebox? Does it just make it non-functional over the specific damagebox?
    Yeah, its just a copy of the old Defiant xdp with a change in the guns #'s and effects. I am not sure what happens when the damagebox probabilities don't add up to 100. I know they are normally suppose to.

BTW, I forgot to thank MM for the gauge lighting effect position

something faster....and harder hitting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mkvpanel.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbolt View Post
    something faster....and harder hitting
    a NF Mossie?

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Given what I take to be a radar screen in the navigator/radar operator's seat on the starboard side; could not the radar be placed there?

a NF Mossie?
    Yeah, toying with Ted's classic Mosquito NFII

Given what I take to be a radar screen in the navigator/radar operator's seat on the starboard side; could not the radar be placed there?
    You are correct, radar could be placed there.

Nice one Steve thanks,
    As shown the Defiant II had the older MkIV radar, which only had the small pilot repeater display and nothing for the gunner.

Actually where Steve's put it in the Mossie is accurate. When the Mossie NFII with MkIV radar was introduced, they also were trialling the small MkV pilot repeater screen, which some early NFII's were fitted with. The repeater was used by the pilot for the close contact final stages, the radar op doing all the initial guidance/tracking work. They continued trialling with the repeater idea onto the the MkVIII/IX centimetric radar, but it was not that popular and not really required, so on the later MkXIX and XXX Mossies fitted with MkX radar the repeater was not continued with. I'm sure Steve knows all this anyway!

So you could have both the repeater in front of the pilot AND the main radar screen in front of the radar opo, which would be accurate in some Mossies.

It's funny, as I'm in the middle or re-reading 'Night Fighter' by 'Jimmy' Rawnsley, who was John 'Cat's Eyes' Cunningham's radar opo. Lots of details and worth a read.

Cheers

Shessi

Sounds good!

Thanks Shessi

The pilot indicator is nice to have as it solves the problem of giving up control of the aircraft to the auto pilot or unrealistically keeping control as you peer into the RO scope.

As you know the mkV RO display had a different setup than the mkIV and I am not sure I want to model that right now. I guess I could have two versions. One with mkV and the other with mkIV set up like the Blenheim. I will have to see how it all works.

I borrowed 'Night Fighter' from the library before the shutdown so now I have it for extended time as reference. It's nice to read of at least one Mossy with the mkV A.I.

Hi Steve,
    Yes, Jimmy Rawnsley's descriptions of radar fit and operations is very good, using the MkV repeater on an FIU borrowed Mossie along with John Cunningham, to go hunting in deepest darkest Europe.

Other good night fighter books are Lewis Brandon's 'Night Flyler' and Bob Braham's 'Scramble'.

Cheers

Shessi

I have been looking for a RAF equivalent to the detailed LW NJG operations by Theo Boiten etc., but so far have been unable to find any; only all the biographies. The closest which was limited to East Anglia was 'No Place for Chivalry' by Alastair Goodrum.

thanks again Shessi. Yeah, I have Bob Braham's 'Night Fighter'(same as 'Scramble'?) on loan also. I will have to look for Brandon's 'Night Flyer' as it sounds pretty good

Steve

couldn't deny myself any longer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails night_fllyer.jpg  

Good one Steve,
    Yes a cheap book, and worth it. Even a duel with an He219!

Now re-re-reading autobiography 'Pursuit Through Darkened Skies' by Mike Allen, not bad, but maybe not enough action as such, quite a bit of peripheral decription of life, thoughts and general wartime. The shame is he and his pilot Harry White were on Turbinlite Havocs for 15 months, and although there is general description of what it was like, and how it worked, there's not much operational detail...and as you've guessed, no action (well it is a Turbinlite! lol), and this book is the only book written I know of, that was written by a person on Turbinlite Havocs...grrr!

Cheers

Shessi

Ok, gave the RO something to do

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mosq_radar.jpg  

Releasing soon? BTW I tried to see if I could use the CFS3_A.I.radar as a ground control, even if not in a radar equipped aircraft; i.e. a Hurricane in my ErprGr210_11 Aug1940 mission. I didn't hear anything so are teh two parts necessary; the in ac radar as well as the ap started; or was I just not doing something correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbolt View Post
    couldn't deny myself any longer
    Another night fighter publication. There are a few missions derived from this book in the ETO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bookscan.jpg  
    Game Rig(Nalu): AMD 4800+ 64x2, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Silverstone 560W, 1Gx4 Corsair Twin2048, 2x Asus EN7900GTX SLI, 4xWD 74G 10Krpm Sata II RAID0, Audigy 4, Trackir4, ch pedals & yoke, db XPPro x64/Vista
    HTPC(BossHog): Intel P3.0GHz Prescott E, Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, Toughpower 700W, 1Gx2 Samsung DDR, AOpen 6600GT AGP, 2x80G IDESeagate Cavier RAID1, HighPoint Rocket Raid 2220, 6x 400G Sata Seagate Baracuda Raid5, 2x500g Seagate JBOD, XP Media Center 2005

Releasing soon? BTW I tried to see if I could use the CFS3_A.I.radar as a ground control, even if not in a radar equipped aircraft; i.e. a Hurricane in my ErprGr210_11 Aug1940 mission. I didn't hear anything so are teh two parts necessary; the in ac radar as well as the ap started; or was I just not doing something correctly?
    Did you rename the Hurricane's XDP shortname to contain "A.I.iv" ? Having said that, I dont think GCI will work very well for mid-1940 unless you are over the channel or along the south-east coast.

Another night fighter publication. There are a few missions derived from this book in the ETO.
    I will have to look for that when I run out of reading material. Thanks Bob

Members who have read this thread: 0