Thread: How can I move a carrier

How can I move a carrier

I want to move the carrier:

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Scenery
    FS2004 Scenery--Big E AI Enhancement
    [ Download | View ]

Name: bige_ai.zip
    Size: 1,753,471 Date: 09-15-2005 Downloads: 3,032

FS2004 Big E AI Enhancement. An enhancement for the Alphasim Big "E" USS Enterprise carrier scenery package. It adds AFCAD2 files for FS2004 "Go to Airport" entries, all navaids, AI parking, AI flights and working "carrier trapping" AI aircraft configurations. By Robert A. Baum.

to a spot on the sea south of LGAT Athens airport in Greece.

Can anyone tell me what program(s) do I need to use to do it please..

Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    I want to move the carrier:

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Scenery
    FS2004 Scenery--Big E AI Enhancement
    [ Download | View ]

Name: bige_ai.zip
    Size: 1,753,471 Date: 09-15-2005 Downloads: 3,032

FS2004 Big E AI Enhancement. An enhancement for the Alphasim Big "E" USS Enterprise carrier scenery package. It adds AFCAD2 files for FS2004 "Go to Airport" entries, all navaids, AI parking, AI flights and working "carrier trapping" AI aircraft configurations. By Robert A. Baum.

to a spot on the sea south of LGAT Athens airport in Greece.

Can anyone tell me what program(s) do I need to use to do it please..
    I'm no expert, but, it would seem to me, rather than "moving" the carrier... what you really want to do is create your own scenery that uses the carrier instead.

I'm sorry, I've been using FSX since it came out, so it's been a verrry long time since I developed any scenery for FS2004, but, assuming the object is not constrained to its particular area, I believe there is a version of Instant Scenery at Flight 1 that would be your best bet and easiest to get up and running. I think there is a version of SBuilder as well for FS2004, but that would take a lot more work to understand on your part.

I was going to say try using AI Carriers but it is for FSX when carriers started moving.
    Our Enterprise may look like a standalone ship, but it is an entire scenery, like an airport. It can't be moved.

Not sure what program you would use since I'm not the scenery side of Team SDB who now owns the copyright on that little floating airport.
    It was originally Alphasim/Carl "ninjamouse" Edwards then just Carl when Alphasim because Virtavia and Carl decided to leave. And since 2010, Carl transferred all rights to Team SDB Scenery.

Now all that aside, if you do figure something out it needs to remain on your personal computer.

Hey Jinx, good to hear from you!

Well, I think it can be done, but it might involve a lot of tedious fiddling. That's because there are four files in the scenery folder that all need to be relocated and made to line up perfectly with each other (unlike Paul Clawson's carriers that had everything in one file, except maybe the wake.) They might line up by themselves, but I expect that changing the location might involve some tedious tweaking to get things exactly right.

There are separate bgl files for the ship, the hard deck, the deck lights and the wake. Aside from those, my install also includes a fifth file, an AFCAD, that is nothing but an airport Properties "bug" with location information, presumably just to provide a start point and/or a Select Airport menu entry. I don't recall whether that came with the download or if I added it myself. I installed my copy fifteen years ago, so my recollection of the details is fuzzy.

Anyway, open the ship bgl with bglxml, open the xml file and change the coordinates, and recompile it with BGLcomp. (If the file won't open with bglxml, I think that puts the kibosh on the project.) That step puts the ship in your chosen location.

Next comes the fiddly part: do the same thing with the hard deck, the deck lights and the wake effect. What makes it fiddly is that your new location and especially the ship's heading probably means that hose three bits won't line up quite properly with the ship, and will require more or less trial and error to get them to line up just right.

Then open the AFCAD file with AFCAD (assuming you have one and it wasn't just my personal addition) and change the location coordinates to match your new ship. Put the bug on deck in your chosen starting spot. It doesn't need (and shouldn't get) a parking space. An AFCAD with no features except location will show on the Select Airport menu and selecting it will put your plane exactly where the Properties bug is.

I have not tried this; I thought about it was got intimidated by the thought of making all four files line up properly. It might be a bear or it might be simpler than I thought. If you make it work, as fsafranek said, it's a proprietary item so you can't release it to the public, but I would be very interested in hearing whether you are able to pull it off. If you're successful and it doesn't drive you nuts with the tediousness of matching up the different files, maybe I'll give it a go myself.

You'll need:

BGLXML by Alessandro G. Antonini

BGLcomp the FS9 SDK

Possibly AFCAD by Lee Swordy

Good luck! Please let us know how it goes.

Members who have read this thread: 0