ETO Battle of Britain campaign Mark II - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: ETO Battle of Britain campaign Mark II

The mission has now become a matter of survival. I order the boys in and complete my own turn, to find myself nearly head-to-head with a 110 - not a great position in which to put oneself.

So I quickly side-step the oncoming Hun and after a short chase, set him on fire with an attack from behind.

The air defence people are still banging away into the skies around our base. Nevertheless, I chage back in and go for another Messerschmitt...

...only to pull up sharply when another Spitfire takes him on.

I quickly switch targets and manage to send another Hun down in flames.

Clearing my tail and looking behind, I'm just in time to see another aircraft hit the deck near a hedgerow. One of ours had just reported being in difficulties, so I fear the worst.

This is dangerous work!

...to be continued!

The boys seem to have run out of targets so leaving them behind, I concentrate on chasing down a 110 that's trying to get away at full speed. I drop down slightly to get him against the sky and keep out of sight of his rear gunner.

He drops down too, just as I start shooting.

After two or three more bursts, his starboard wing goes on fire between the engine and fuselage; burning fuel I expect.

No point wasting any more rounds on that one! Up and away I go.

We seem to have swept the floor with these Huns. Which serves them right, for mounting a sneak attack on chaps who were just getting off the ground. But now what?

...to be continued!

I turn back towards base, noting the Ack Ack fire has died away. Below and right, the first Spitfire is coming in to re-join. How many did we lose? Two, I think.

I throttle back to let them catch up. Below is the airfield at Upper Heyford, another bomber base if I recall right.

I've only taken one or two hits and everything seems to be working fine. I reckon I've got maybe half my ammo left, so I decide we'll have a go at the original target, forty-odd miles to the south-east. I start to turn in that direction, waiting to count the Spitfires who are straggling back into formation behind me.

Suddenly, someone announces he's attacking, over the R/T. The Huns aren't all gone, after all!

It looks like we can forget about intercepting that raid now!

...to be continued!

I circle above the developing fight between a solitary 110 and the first Spitfire to arrive. I contemplate using up the rest of my own rounds to bag another kill, but decide to stay up and let one of the boys improve his own score, instead.

The 110 is gyrating pretty crazily at such low level. The first Spit can't seem to get his sights onto him although it looks like the Messerschmitt will crash of his own accord if he keeps this up.

Without the slightest warning, I'm suddenly hit from astern. My Spitfire feels as if she's been swatted like a fly. All control seems to have gone and the nose goes down, steeper and steeper, towards and then past the vertical.

Efforts to get out are futile; the canopy might as well be glued shut.

This time, the debriefing is a bit more unequivocal.

Could the squadron have helped turn back the tide of the invasion? I'll never know, now...although I will keep the saved campaigns for now, just in case I ever get really curious!

Quote Originally Posted by 33lima View Post
    I circle above the developing fight between a solitary 110 and the first Spitfire to arrive. I contemplate using up the rest of my own rounds to bag another kill, but decide to stay up and let one of the boys improve his own score, instead.

The 110 is gyrating pretty crazily at such low level. The first Spit can't seem to get his sights onto him although it looks like the Messerschmitt will crash of his own accord if he keeps this up.

Without the slightest warning, I'm suddenly hit from astern. My Spitfire feels as if she's been swatted like a fly. All control seems to have gone and the nose goes down, steeper and steeper, towards and then past the vertical.

Efforts to get out are futile; the canopy might as well be glued shut.

This time, the debriefing is a bit more unequivocal.

Could the squadron have helped turn back the tide of the invasion? I'll never know, now...although I will keep the saved campaigns for now, just in case I ever get really curious!

It's always the one you didn't see...
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    It's always the one you didn't see...
    Too true, alas! I had unconsciously decided that 110 was the last of them, and then I spent far too long fixated on him, waiting for him to crash or be shot down!

Sailor Malan's ten rules:

1. Wait until you see the whites of his eyes. Fire short bursts of one or two seconds, and only when your sights are definitely "on".
    2. Whilst shooting think of nothing else. Brace the whole of your body, have both hands on the stick, concentrate on your ring sight.
    3. Always keep a sharp look out. "Keep you finger out!"
    4. Height gives you the initiative.
    5. Always turn and face the attack.
    6. Make your decisions promptly. It is better to act quickly, even though your tactics are not of the best.
    7. Never fly straight and level for more than thirty seconds in the combat area.
    8. When diving to attack, always leave a proportion of your formation above to act as top guard.
    9. Initiative, aggression, air discipline, and team-work are words that mean something in air fighting.
    10. Go in quickly. Punch hard. Get out!

"Tiger Squadron"
    Wing Commander Ira Jones, 1954
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Those ten rules I incorporated in my beta briefing mod (as replacements for the 'flavour' text) - you'd think I'd have paid them more attention!

Quote Originally Posted by 33lima View Post
    Those ten rules I incorporated in my beta briefing mod (as replacements for the 'flavour' text) - you'd think I'd have paid them more attention!
    You can blame it on the battle fatigue. That constant combat will get to you after a while...

SOH-CM-2020
    Note to self: must do something about the way the majority of Me109 kills are from blowing off the tail - I think air_expl_l is overkill for starters for the tailpiece!

Spoilsport!

But yes, they are a bit too easy to kill and while there is that famous BoB ground-to-air photo of a 109 spluttering down with its tail bent at an angle, the sim version's empennage seems to be attached by balsa stringers or something.

SOH-CM-2020

Damage on a Me 109

I wouldn't change the damage points, just one or two of the effects associated with the two damage boxes at the tail of the fuselage. There are crazy big flashes and bangs for the tail of the 109, when there really isn't anything flammable to cause them. Effects like FX_airexpl_l and "explode" seem like overkill.

(as an aside, other aircraft seem incredibly tough. The Boston III is an aircraft I can empty the ammo belt into and it just flies on.)

Having seen some footage on Youtube, it seems as though massed MGs can "saw off" a wing and I can certainly achieve that against the Me 109s. I enjoy the latest damage profile on Fouteman's planes, where the wing can be taken off in three places depending where the damage is occurring. (I am "testing" the 109s that Mongoose has been given permission to release). But even these 109s have pyrotechnical effects associated with the tail pieces.

But what would I know, I'm just an xml tweaker . . .

Members who have read this thread: 0