DCS crashing after upgrade of video card

Thread: DCS crashing after upgrade of video card

DCS crashing after upgrade of video card

I am putting this here in case it will help someone having a similar problem.

I recently upgraded my rig from a 970 to an RTX2070 Super. After the upgrade all sims were working great, including P3D v4 and v5 and Il-2 COD at very high settings.

However, in DCS I started having crashes, especially in the F-14 and even on sim startup. I tried all tricks mentioned in the ED forum for crashes (deleting the saved games etc.) but nothing worked. I was disappointed that I had upgraded to a better GPU and could not even fly!

Digging more into the ED forum I managed to find the answer to my problems or at least a very good lead in this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205752

One particular setting to be ensured in a DCS profile in Nvidia control panel is the -Power Management --> Prefer Maximum Performance

I had this set for the 970 but when I changed cards I decided to flush clean the drivers and reinstall them, so I lost that setting and forgot to get back to it. It seems that this caused the voltage to my card to be reduced exactly when it was needed, causing a driver crash. When I did not have a crash I had terrible performance.

After setting this the crashes stopped and I was able to increase sliders to very high settings and DCS runs amazingly well. As a side note, it seems to be better to control MSAA and Transparency Antialising through Nvidia and leave the MSAA setting at 2x in DCS and no SSAA settings. Even though I have a 1080p monitor, I was able to run at 4k through DSR with no problems.

Happy camper now after three days of grief...

Hope it helps someone.

Go to your start menu and into the ED folder. Click 'Repair DCS World Install'. This usually helps my video issues after upgrades or drivers etc.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Rick, I had tried all these tricks, including the repair, it did not help.

My problem was solved after setting power management in Nvidia settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Rick, I had tried all these tricks, including the repair, it did not help.

My problem was solved after setting power management in Nvidia settings.
    very weird stuff Dimus!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Members who have read this thread: 0