Question - but do not assume

Thread: Question - but do not assume

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Question - but do not assume

We have a good stable of british bombers, some older models and others imports from cfs2 that are lacking in detail. Of the following any desires to have them redone

Hadley Page Halifax
    Armstrong Whitworth Whitney

I am leaning toward the Whitney since the pit is very basic, but just a thought

And no on the Lancaster.

Manchester still flying from the far east so it is taking a while to get here.

I haven't checked out the Halifax for a while, so I should do that. IMHO, it would depend on how good or bad each CFS3 model is WRT to how important each was to BC. I'll be back on that!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020
    For my 'druthers, I would like to see the He-111 redone with a mos file. Was there some talk of a brave soul doing this?

Yes I thought the He111 was having some work but not the 'pit AFAIK.

Now the Whitney pit is not as good as the Halifax, nor is the external IMO. The Halifax is as good as the Lancs I think. I don't know if work on the Manchester is relevant to the gun stations for both Hali and Lanc?

Whitney

Halifax

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whitney day.jpg   Whitney night.jpg   Hali night 1.jpg   Hali night 2.jpg  

Sorry, I hate to be picky but I believe the Armstrong Whitworth Whitney is meant to be Armstrong Whitworth Whitley?

Quote Originally Posted by johannesl View Post
    Sorry, I hate to be picky but I believe the Armstrong Whitworth Whitney is meant to be Armstrong Whitworth Whitley?
    Little known fact... The Armstrong Whitworth Whitney was the US license built variant constructed at a purpose built plant in Houston.

Blog Entries
    The Whitley would be a fine subject for a revamp Ted. The Halifax is good but the cockpit area is wrong, the canopy should drop away on the starboard side and with an additional window to aid the pilots view. Starrys model doesn't have this.
    https://yorkshireairmuseum.org/lates...now-about-her/
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

If ever there was an RAF A/C in need of a re-work or replacement, surely it's the Mosquito? A classic, beautiful and truly multi-role aircraft that's therefore arguably a more important aircraft for any ETO install to have than any other single RAF bomber, but been let down by the sim. Even the stock B.IV needs bigger tyres and the graceful curve restored to the fin's leading edge, while the FB.VI also needs at least the proper flat-panel windscreen and proper cockpit. Perhaps access to the source 3d files is why there only ever seemed to be repaints.

Oh for eff-sake it's a WHITLEY not a WHITNEY.....ha ha ha....

Ted, are you using Ted Cook's model or a completely new one?

And yes the cockpit is fairly basic in his and Alphasim's, so would be good to have a more detailed one and it's not a complicated one.

Cheers

Shessi

hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by 33lima View Post
    If ever there was an RAF A/C in need of a re-work or replacement, surely it's the Mosquito? A classic, beautiful and truly multi-role aircraft that's therefore arguably a more important aircraft for any ETO install to have than any other single RAF bomber, but been let down by the sim. Even the stock B.IV needs bigger tyres and the graceful curve restored to the fin's leading edge, while the FB.VI also needs at least the proper flat-panel windscreen and proper cockpit. Perhaps access to the source 3d files is why there only ever seemed to be repaints.
    So the several that I did they too need to be revised? I ask while since you did not mention these in your post I assume that you have them. If so, just tell be what you find to be lacking in the models and maybe someday I'll fix them.

Oh stop

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Oh for eff-sake it's a WHITLEY not a WHITNEY.....ha ha ha....

Ted, are you using Ted Cook's model or a completely new one?

And yes the cockpit is fairly basic in his and Alphasim's, so would be good to have a more detailed one and it's not a complicated one.

Cheers

Shessi
    Must have been listening to Whitney Houston.......I have no mesh at all. If I do a new one, it will be all new. Working from some else's canvas at times is ok, but not as rewarding. Well as far a complicated - you need to see the pictures of the pit seems like a very busy panel ...just saying. Will require a few new gauges and other details which can be interesting to make. All of this is academic of course since I am just running my mouth.

Halifax

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    The Whitley would be a fine subject for a revamp Ted. The Halifax is good but the cockpit area is wrong, the canopy should drop away on the starboard side and with an additional window to aid the pilots view. Starrys model doesn't have this.
    https://yorkshireairmuseum.org/lates...now-about-her/
    Yep you are correct, one reason I thought it could be redone. I have Starry's mesh however......but if I make a new one it will be a blank canvas this time.

I guess you started something here!.

- Whitley. I must have been listening to your tune!

- Halifax, The question is whether it's pit improvements are a priority over other aircraft, given that mostly it should be flown at night! It would be good if the gun positions were the same as that which I think you redid for the Manchester, which also could be used on the Lancasters. Then the Hali and Lanc guns could be redone only. We do already have optional better bomb sights for the bombardier's position.

-Mosquito. Well there was the Mosquito group which was developing models but it seems to have folded. A pity as I was looking forward to their work.

I think it's a bit unreasonable for people to expect you to do all these aircraft as you seem to be the only CFS3 aircraft modeler around, along of course with excellent work by John and Rob in particular. I will be happy with whatever you want to do.

Perhaps it was the nickname for a model they never put into production that used P&W R-2800 engines.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Of those you list, Ted, the Whitley for a rework and especially the 'pit. Due to its pronounced nose-down attitude in flight, the view out the 'pit should be better, too.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    So the several that I did they too need to be revised? I ask while since you did not mention these in your post I assume that you have them. If so, just tell be what you find to be lacking in the models and maybe someday I'll fix them.
    You did several? I only have 2 nightfighter versions which I think are excellent. Are other versions available somewhere?

I'd also like to see some bomber variants of Ted's excellent Mosquito someday

Despite the old and dark VC and the mirror image upper wing textures, the CFS2 Mossie add-on was a better FB VI than what there is now; shame that such an outstanding and capable aircraft got so badly treated by the original devs.

Hmmm....

somewhere on my HD is a mossie with a fat belly. What version is that? Made this, I thought and released it...oh well

Must have been a bomber version, B IV or maybe B XVI, some of both of which could be modified to carry a 4,000 lb 'cookie'. What's really needed is a fighter or fighter variant with the flat front windscreen, not to mention the main flaws of the CFS3 version fixed.

This is the Just Flight B XVI from the Dambusters add-on and while a later mark with the 'chinned' engine nacelles, having mirrored upper surface textures and low-polygon in places...

...it still looks more like a Mossie than the stock CFS3 one, however well it's dressed up. I mean, look at that nearly-straight fin leading edge and those titchy little main gear wheels!

Sorry, 'nuff said, am taking this O/T.

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Manchester coming from the Far East is getting closer.

I wont steal all Ted's thunder, but he's done a bang up job on this aircraft with 3 different versions. the VC and gunners stations just lovely, and as usual John's painting is top notch.

Been a big weekend of file shuffling...

regards Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot05-24-20-12-05-28.jpg   Shot05-24-20-16-13-19.jpg  
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Winters View Post
    Manchester coming from the Far East is getting closer.

I wont steal all Ted's thunder, but he's done a bang up job on this aircraft with 3 different versions. the VC and gunners stations just lovely, and as usual John's painting is top notch.

Been a big weekend of file shuffling...

regards Rob.
    If that bomb sight is the same as one you have done before, I think I did a +nlight version of it. email if you want to see BC bomb sights +nlights ; of course I may have already put them up and have old man's memory issues!

Members who have read this thread: 0