Xjouve's New Landclass Files

Thread: Xjouve's New Landclass Files

SOH-CM-2020

Xjouve's New Landclass Files

I don't know how many have noticed the quiet revolution going on with a GIS whizz whose handle is Xjouve, updating mesh and landclass files suitable for WOFF. I'm really hoping that some of what he does could be adapted with his blessing, for use by us CFS3 mortals.

just as a proof of concept, I installed his .lcf into ETO v1.50. It adds a whole lot more evidence of human occupation, with little settlements and villages everywhere. I deliberately chose to restrict my first trial to ETO textures, mos and lso files. This misses out on some of WOFF's luverly villages, but I didn't want to get in a tangle, or start to post stuff poached from other installs. One think that Xjouve deliberately left out were a number of lso files with buildings in them which normally populate cities in CFS3.

The next thing I did after renaming Xjouve's lcf file to CFS3Eur.lcf, was to edit his landclasses.xml (landclass ID's going up to over 130!) so that only ETO textures summer and winter with matching lsos were included.

Because of the more restricted use of textures, some of the landscape is a bit repetitive, but in other places (a quick whizz in an A-26b in the hills around Clerment-Ferrand) quite captivating.

My screenies are a bit blurred for some unknown reason, I may have to try and get some with NVidia Profile Inspector turned off to see if it improves.

The attached screenies are taken around the Thames. They don't really do justice to the possibilities. Will try and get better ones.

Looks very promising. It would be nice to get some more up to date (era wise of course!) ground textures; something WOFF and WOTR have bothered about.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020
    Hi James, the landclass stuff is more about accurately reflecting the landclass (village, swamp, riverbank, trenches) rather than the textures per se. Also in the landclasses xml the scenery objects associated with a specific location can be defined by calling out the texture file and associated lso file (the lso files define where scenery models are located on the scenery tile).

In Xjouves landclass file, there is a very fine grained texture of different landclasses. He could have defined specific wheat fields if he had wanted! What I have done is assigned stock ETO 1.5 texture tiles to the many landclasses he has uniquely described. The weakness is the lack of texture tiles and paired lso files in ETO. Thus I've assigned the same textures to many different landclasses.

Ah so! You certainly are more familiar with this side of CFS3 than I am; in fact most aspects!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020

Landclass Comparison

here is Chambery, France, with new landclass

compared with Chambery using the ETO landclass

The new landclass has far more "human occupation". By comparison, the stock feels far more empty.

SOH-CM-2020

Near St Etienne, France

And this one is just because I haven't done this in ages

Members who have read this thread: 1