Bad "Hornets"

Thread: Bad "Hornets"

Icon9 Bad "Hornets"

This will wipe out the bee colonies if not eliminated.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...ca/ar-BB13va3Q

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

A killer hornet that feeds on bees and is capable of excruciating stings that can kill people has made landfall in North America, causing widespread fear among insect experts. The Asian giant hornet - which entomologists have dubbed the 'murder hornet' - are native to Japan, where their highly venomous stings are responsible for an average of 50 deaths a year. It's not known how the murder hornet made it to the US and Canada, 10,000km away, but there are major concerns that its presence there could further annihilate bee colonies, which have already been decimated in recent decades. Bees are a major food source for murder hornets, which are significantly larger than other hornet, bee or wasp species. They decapitate bees, then take the severed thoraxes back to their offspring, who feed on them. Their presence in North America was discovered when beekeepers in the north-east visited their normally busy hives to find the ground carpeted in bee carcasses, according to a New York Times report. A recent study estimates one in every three bites of food is made possible by bees, which goes some way to explaining the fear around their arrival there. A reduction in bee numbers could hit the US, one of the world's largest food producers, particularly hard. Chris Looney, an entomologist at the Washington State Department of Agriculture, told the Times that it's likely North America has a window of just two years to wipe them out. "If we can't do it in the next couple of years, it probably can't be done," he said. Scientists are currently working out how to exterminate the insects, but this has proved difficult because the stingers of murder hornets are much longer than that of other insects, and can pierce through bee suits. A series of stings can be fatal, the New York Times reports, because each sting injects about as much venom as a snake bite. Scientists have implemented a trap and release method in their attempts to eradicate murder hornet colonies in North America before they do significant damage. Because murder hornets are so large - they can grow to more than 5cm in length - they are able to be tagged with a marker that allows scientists to track their movements, without it having too much of an impact on their ability to fly or hunt prey. Hundreds more traps are being lined up, the New York Times reports. This turned up in our news recently. Another bloody Asian Export that we can do without!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I don't want to sound like a jerk but why trap and release? They don't belong here and I would think they would try and eradicate them.

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    I don't want to sound like a jerk but why trap and release? They don't belong here and I would think they would try and eradicate them.

LouP
    Tagging to find their range and nests.
    Step one toward eliminating them.
    Can't remove the buggers if you don't know where to find them.
    Follow the link in Ted's post.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0