Threre was a race planned here for today.

Thread: Threre was a race planned here for today.

Threre was a race planned here for today.

The circuit of Zandvoort. Today should have been the first Formula One race again after 35 years of absence.

Cheers,
    Huub

Sure miss the races!

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    There was a race at Zandvoort last night; old cars, new lay out:

Glad there are still sims to play around in...
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

And then we had the Virtual Indy 500 as well.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

At least the Covid-virus did something good and cancelled this ridiculous initiative which causes enormous pollution and has a ruinous impact on the whole environment, not to mention the enormous traffic-jam that would have happened.

hertzie

Quote Originally Posted by hertzie View Post
    At least the Covid-virus did something good and cancelled this ridiculous initiative which causes enormous pollution and has a ruinous impact on the whole environment, not to mention the enormous traffic-jam that would have happened.

hertzie

That might be all good and well considering the location but it's a sweeping statement at best!
    If the vast majority of users stopped driving oversize and overweight 'Trucks' and so-called 'Sport Utility Vehicles' that would have a greater effect than cancelling any EffWun event.
    Who really needs to drive a Chevrolet Suburban or a Dodge Ram for example?
    Let's not overlook the fact that most (if not all) 'Manufacturers' involved in EffWun bang on about the 'Green' standards they are developing via EffWun and Eff E while producing and heavily marketing oversize and overweight environmentally unfriendly vehicles sold to the unwashed public the World over.
    Certain people have a genuine need for the extra size and capacity of theses vehicles, but not the solo Millennial wheel operative or Soccer Mum who drives her barge to the Supermarket.

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I'm biased as I live in this area. But like most people here I'm happy the race was cancelled and so is wildlife in the preserved nature areas around the circuit. However its a pity for all those who did put a lot of effort in the circuit to be ready to receive the race.

Cheers,
    Huub

One of the better things to come out of the revival of Albert Park was the provision of Light Rail services right up to the circuit entrance.
    Originally there was considerable angst from the locals and ongoing protests, but once the value of this service was taken on board (it was extended further as well) most of the unhappiness vanished.
    Perhaps something on similar lines would help in the future for Zandvoort?
    Not just for the race circuit, but for the general public (including the ornithologists) and holiday makers.
    Be a great venue for a Superbike Round as well, much better than EffWun.

Zandvoort used to host motorraces, but in time it became more and more a car circuit. Looking at the current management I don't think they are open to start to facilitate motor racing at "their" circuit again.

The main reason to ban motor races was noise. Its a bit funny that the environment was used to get the motor races out of Zandvoort, which certainly isn't that important anymore. (I also think the audience of motor races didn't really fit in the image Zandvoort wanted to have as sea-side resort).

There is a railway connection in Zandvoort, which is sufficient for normal days, but can't handle the amount of people expected for the F-1.

The circuit has always hosted cycling events. I wonder whether they will remain to do so in the future.

Cheers,
    Huub

Edit: To show a bit of the madness, the sign near the entrance of the National Park. visible above the sign, the radar tower from the circuit and right from the sign in the background the paddock..........

Last edited by huub vink; May 4th, 2020 at 11:06. Reason: Picture added

Members who have read this thread: 0