Late '50's CVA-42 FDR Carrier?

Thread: Late '50's CVA-42 FDR Carrier?

Hybrid View

Late '50's CVA-42 FDR Carrier?

So, I've been using the Virtual Navy / Lazarus Coral Sea modded to be a late '50's FDR to put together the '57/'58 Med Cruise my dad participated in.

Are there any SCB-110 FDR (Midway class) models around? I haven't found any. (I'm thinking the SimWorks '65 Coral Sea might fit the bill, but I haven't found any pictures of it to confirm).

I saw a reference to USN Deck Equipment created by Lazarus, but it seems to be gone from the library here?

If anyone knows any freeware static models of the following planes I'd appreciate that as well.

In the meantime, I've been creating textures for examples of most of the following squadrons:

Air Group CVG-17

100 VF-171 Aces F2H-3 Banshee - Razbam
    200 VF-74 Be-Devilers F4D-1 Skyray - Virtavia <---Modified from texture originally done by Bruce Martin
    300 VAH-3 Sea Dragons A3D-1 Skywarrior - Virtavia
    400 VA-175 Devil's Diplomats AD-6 Skyraider - Tim Conrad A-1H
    600 VFP-62 Fighting Photos F2H-3P Banshee - Razbam
    . VFP-62 Fighting Photos F9F-6P Panther <--While VFP-62 flew these at this period, too, there were not any on this particular cruise
    700 VAW-12 DET. 37 Bats AD-5W Skyraider - Razbam*
    800 VA(AW)-33 DET. 37 Night Hawks AD-5N - Razbam*
    HU-2 DET. 37 Fleet Angels Piasecki HUP-2 - Jim Jacobson, Baldy*

*Haven't made these textures yet, but they'll be coming

I'll be happy to share what I can when I'm done.
    Last edited by FlyingsCool; May 1st, 2020 at 20:06.

Here's some images of the paints I've got so far...

I still have a few edits to make. The Roundels are wrong on the F2H-3. I forgot the red spinner on the AD-6. Let me know if I missed anything else.

Again, the F4D-1 texture is an edit I made to the texture originally created by Bruce Martin.

I've been doing a ton of research to get them as correct (within reason) as I can.

A couple of shots of the changes I made to create the FDR. As noted, I'd like to change out the A-4, E-2C and Intruder to more period correct aircraft if anyone has any suggestions. S2's were occasionally seen on the deck at that time, too.

Wow! You've been busy! Can it be that I see two different water textures?

Cees

Not sure what happened to Lazarus's stuff in the SOH Library?

Where do you download his Virtual Navy Coral Sea?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Good Job

You have done a really nice job so far. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post

Where do you download his Virtual Navy Coral Sea?
    Don't know where or when I found the file. It came in the file USS_Coral_Sea_vn_FSXA.V2.zip. The CFS2 Virtual Navy Coral Sea is still here, but it looks like for whatever reason Lazarus has removed all his files from Sim-Outhouse (and everywhere as far as I can tell). It's weird, there was stuff here as late as January, and he was working on an Enterprise model as of February, but his posts on it seem to have stopped?

I did some simple edits on the ship, moved the cats around a bit. The FLOLS seems tied to the runway. I centered the runway on the runway, but that pushed the FLOLS off the model a bit. But I figured it's better to have the runway line up properly than have the correct location for the FLOLS.

I'd like to harden the hangar deck, maybe animate the elevators? And, as I noted, I want to replace the planes on deck. Maybe Klaus would like to help me
    Last edited by FlyingsCool; May 2nd, 2020 at 13:46.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    And what happened to Lazarus himself? Hope he's doing allright?

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Wow! You've been busy! Can it be that I see two different water textures?

Cees
    Thanks,.... not that I'm aware of. I don't know if I've changed the ocean textures at all, but I've been working on my system since FSX came out, so it's possible I found another ocean texture, or this came with Ultimate Terrain or Ground Environment X NA? Or maybe an Orbx thing?? I've got some of that? These shots are taken outside of Jacksonville NAS in FL.

Edit: Is it possible you're thinking of the reflections of the clouds in the water?
    Last edited by FlyingsCool; May 2nd, 2020 at 14:20.

Thanks guys... Did the Piasecki last night. Still needs some dirt, but I think looks good. When it's done done I'll do modex 41 130023 Rosey I, too. I need to figure out how to put the stars and bars and "NAVY" on top and bottom, too. It gets all stretchy up there, and I'll need to match it across the seam, too.

Last edited by FlyingsCool; May 2nd, 2020 at 17:30.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    A couple of shots of the changes I made to create the FDR. As noted, I'd like to change out the A-4, E-2C and Intruder to more period correct aircraft if anyone has any suggestions. S2's were occasionally seen on the deck at that time, too.

Nice looking "Swanky Frankie"

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Nice looking "Swanky Frankie"
    Thanks

Sadly, wrong SCB for what I'm hoping for, but, one step at a time

I was able to clean off the deck though. So we can now put whatever deck layouts we want on it. I left the 2D people, and fixed up their textures so we don't have zombies with half their bodies missing as they wander the deck.

I didn't do much to the ship itself, just worked on the textures and modified the effects.

I should be releasing the aircraft textures for all the planes I've done over the weekend. I'm going to release them per plane. For instance, I think there are twelve different texture sets for the Razbam F2H-3. Except for a couple of planes, all the BuNo/Modex combos are correct for the cruise.

If anyone knows where I could get a list of BuNo/Modex combos for the ship, I'd appreciate it. It would be nice to make the squadrons/detachments complete. As I said, the last time I looked, the ships logs are unavailable because they are part of a digitizing project. Which is cool because when they are done it'll likely make them easily accessible. I don't know where else I might look. I continue to peruse the internet looking for pictures from the cruise. I think there's a video available, too, so I might get that.

I'd like to also release the FDR ship I've modified from the version created by Lazarus from Virtual Navy's model. How would I ask for permission to do so?

I've been having a lot of problems landing on it, but I don't know if that's my own lack of skill, set up of the planes I'm flying, or something to do with how the wires are set up on the ship. So I'd appreciate it if somebody would test it out for me.

Next step in the project are to create deck layouts of aircraft and start to develop AI Ship routes for the cruise.

From what I see here, looks like there are a few static acft on the flight deck. Hope we can see some period correct static acft on the flight deck in future release.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    From what I see here, looks like there are a few static acft on the flight deck. Hope we can see some period correct static acft on the flight deck in future release.
    I took those off so I/we can put whatever planes we want on the deck. Assuming I can figure it out. After all that work I did prepping all the textures for upload, I just spent the day flying today

Blog Entries
    Hi Thomas,

Been testing the carrier a bit, and also tried on the F2H-2P repaints - really like these. I thought I had kept the Razbam Skyraiders, but I think when I moved from FS9, I purged them. A shame, because perhaps with MCX, I could have brought them into P3Dv4.5.

Anyway, the repaints look good, and will spend a bit more time on the carrier itself. So far, the basics seem to work - but will test further.

cheers,

dl

I took those off so I/we can put whatever planes we want on the deck. Assuming I can figure it out. After all that work I did prepping all the textures for upload, I just spent the day flying today
    All of those aircraft you uploaded for the FDR seems to be flyable aircraft and not AI type. So, what has to be done to make them display on the flight deck as AI aircraft?
    Last edited by gray eagle; June 21st, 2020 at 04:32.

Blog Entries
    Here's some images of the paints I've got so far...

I still have a few edits to make. The Roundels are wrong on the F2H-3. I forgot the red spinner on the AD-6. Let me know if I missed anything else.

Again, the F4D-1 texture is an edit I made to the texture originally created by Bruce Martin.

I've been doing a ton of research to get them as correct (within reason) as I can.

I’m really keen on that F2H-2P paint. That I know of, the RAZBAM -2P has never gotten a repaint. Granted, there weren’t a lot of airframes, but any of the two VFP-61/62 or Marine VMCJ schemes would have been great. Now we’ll finally have a later 1950s era -2P scheme in the sim.

Many thanks.

PS-I fully sympathize with the dearth of late 50s carrier options. Your best looking, albeit most sparse option might be to fly off the SWS Coral Sea with clear deck. I’d do near anything for a F9F-8P photo Cougar and the right boat to fly it off.

Your best looking, albeit most sparse option might be to fly off the SWS Coral Sea with clear deck.
    Except at the moment I cannot get any aircraft including the PBR F-4 to to hook up the cat on the SWS CV-43. Bummer. May also revert to the pre PBR F-4 as there are many more paints for it and frankly the PBR finish doesn't look as good aas the SWS Legacy Phantoms, IMHO . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Your best looking, albeit most sparse option might be to fly off the SWS Coral Sea with clear deck.
    Except at the moment I cannot get any aircraft including the PBR F-4 to to hook up the cat on the SWS CV-43. Bummer. May also revert to the pre PBR F-4 as there are many more paints for it and frankly the PBR finish doesn't look as good aas the SWS Legacy Phantoms, IMHO . .

Members who have read this thread: 3