Late '50's CVA-42 FDR Carrier? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Late '50's CVA-42 FDR Carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    I took those off so I/we can put whatever planes we want on the deck. Assuming I can figure it out. After all that work I did prepping all the textures for upload, I just spent the day flying today
    All of those aircraft you uploaded for the FDR seems to be flyable aircraft and not AI type. So, what has to be done to make them display on the flight deck as AI aircraft?
    Last edited by gray eagle; June 21st, 2020 at 04:32.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Sorry I am missing something. I see all the repaints in the library for the airwings but where do you get the FDR carrier?
    Well... the ship I'm using is a modified version of the Coral Sea model Lazarus released that he modified from one Virtual Navy released. I haven't asked for permission to upload it here yet. But I'm happy to send you what I've got so far. Just PM me your email.

There are some things I'd like to do to this model further, like platform the hangar deck, replace the FLOLS with one that lines up. Though I just discovered that AI doesn't work on Carriers normally (I thought it might), so I may just misalign the runway again, but, doesn't that affect the way the FLOLS works if where it thinks the runway is off to the side of the runway??, add some deck layouts of static planes (I need to learn how and choose aircraft to do it with, that's in the works), animate / create blast shields, animate the elevators, and maybe clean up the textures a bit more. I'd love to crowd source this development work, since I barely know anything about modeling for FSX.

Ultimately, I'm hoping someday an SCB-110 version of the carrier gets released. She was in that state from '55 to '69.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    All of those aircraft you uploaded for the FDR seems to be flyable aircraft and not AI type. So, what has to be done to make them display on the flight deck as AI aircraft?
    Well... there's a difference between AI aircraft and static aircraft. Since the aircraft these textures are for flying aircraft, they can be set up as AI pretty easily I think, just need to create some aircraft.cfgs for them and build the flight paths.

For making them static aircraft, it means making them into scenery models, which is straightforward, but I need to learn a better workflow than I know at the moment. I just hacked my way through it last time, and I think there are better ways to do it. But since a good portion of these planes are payware, I can't share models I make from those. Not to mention, I'd prefer to choose some lighter weight models anyway.

Back to AI, it can be done. But, again, there's the payware aspect from some of these planes. Mr. Scrub has released a few of these planes, but I think his are F2H-2's... Somebody else released a partially finished F2H-3 model, but, I think it needs quite a bit of work, like laying out the textures, which I don't know very much about at all.

And then there's the issue about AI and moving carriers. As we saw above, that's a whole other issue. It could be done fairly easily for a static carrier set up as an airport, maybe, though I imagine integrating it with Cats and Traps is probably a whole other story. Not to mention, now that I know how to set up moving carriers, who wants to fly off static carriers anymore

The HUP retriever is available over at Simviation. Just search for "HUP", there are two files to get. Together they should set you up well.

I've done some mods to the file myself, like, remove the smoke from the right side (there's only one exhaust) that I forgot that I did, plus a couple other things (I hate seeing those icons on my panel for GPS, etc., so I always remove them). But I think the Retriever update file does most of the updates I did on my own before I discovered it. (I had the H-21 already, so fixing that omission was cake).

RAZBAM Skyraiders

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Hi Thomas,

Been testing the carrier a bit, and also tried on the F2H-2P repaints - really like these. I thought I had kept the Razbam Skyraiders, but I think when I moved from FS9, I purged them. A shame, because perhaps with MCX, I could have brought them into P3Dv4.5.

Anyway, the repaints look good, and will spend a bit more time on the carrier itself. So far, the basics seem to work - but will test further.

cheers,

dl
    You can replace them for just $10.00USD now if you hunt around online vendors.

Great Job

Keep up the good work it looks fantastic and worth all the efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    You can replace them for just $10.00USD now if you hunt around online vendors.
    Sorry, @delta Lima, I meant to respond, too; just go direct to RAZBAM. As TG said, all their offerings are $10 now. Other vendors are still charging more for them. For 10 bucks, totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Keep up the good work it looks fantastic and worth all the efforts.
    Thanks,

It's been fun, totally worth it. I'm learning so much. Wish I could have shared this with my Dad.. but in my heart I am

Members who have read this thread: 3