Late '50's CVA-42 FDR Carrier? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Late '50's CVA-42 FDR Carrier?

You got that right

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Certainly some of the best footage one will ever see of the cat hookup operations prior to present day "Flush Deck Nose Gear Launch" or "Fandangle" as it is called, with its launch bar replacing the bridle / Van Zelm bridle arrester lanyards, as well as the Repeatable Release Holdback Trailbar replacing the old, one time use holdback plug.

One gets mesmerized watching these young folks working the hookup - close attention and you realize they are kneeling / lying on the non-skid coating of the Flight Deck. anyone who has ever seen this stuff will remember that the stuff is ROUGH AS HELL! You think kneeling on a cement or asphalt surface is painful? Try non-skid --
    Bring up a towel or two for some sun on the flightdeck...not only is it rough but it gets hot too. A blanket and a towel on the catwalk was a lot more comfortable to catch some rays. The pilots may fly the planes but without the flight deck crew the pilots, crew and planes couldn't do the job. Like the generals may get the credit for winning the battle but the soldiers did the winning. All we sim aviators have to do is [SHIFT+U] to get it all done in a blink of the eye.

Late '50's SCB-110 CVA-42 FDR Carrier?

Just wanna say I haven't forgotten this project. Fixed the insignia on the F2H-3's over the weekend (and then realized, after creating 12 repaints from the base one, that I need to add a rescue flag to the fuselage, too )(but that won't take long). I've created all the BuNo/Modex combinations of the planes on the cruise that I'm aware of. So I should start uploading paints soon. If anyone knows how to figure out the other planes I'm missing, as well as tie pilot to airplane so I can add their names, that would be awesome.

Next step will be to add some deck configs to the carrier now that I figured out how to remove the planes that were there. I'd like to find freeware/lighter weight versions of the planes rather than use the Razbam payware ones that I've created paints for, to make wider availability for people. The Alphasim/Virtavia ones will be fine since there are freeware models of those, though I don't know if there are FSXisized versions of the A3D and F4D's? Would using a non-FSX version of a model affect framerate? Mr. Scrub has made an F2H, though I'm not sure if he created the F2H-3/4 models or if his are F2H-2's?

Anyone know of any freeware AD-6, AD-5N, and AD-5W Skyraider models out there? I'm imagining Tim Conrad's would be a little framerate heavy to put a bunch of his AD-6's on the deck.

How about an F2H-2P?

All the planes needed are:

F2H-3 Banshee with wingtip tanks
    F2H-2P Banshee with Wingtip Tanks
    F4D-1 Skyray
    A3D-1 (if possible) Skywarrior
    AD-6 Skyraider (single seat)
    AD-5N Skyraider (multi-seat Night Attack)
    AD-5W Skyraider (multi-seat Early warning guppy model)
    Piasecki HUP-2 (I can use the model that I'm already using, though I really wish I knew how to map the surfaces, so I could add top and bottom strips so the markings on the top and bottom could be created effectively. Right now it just has left and right side, so creating the text and markings where the texture gets really stretchy is well nigh impossible, for me anyway).

And I soooo wish there was an SCB-110 Midway/FDR carrier model available.

How do you fold the wings of an aircraft model for use as a static scenery model?

Oh, I also need to start creating ship routes for the cruise. Anyone know where I can find the ship movements for the FDR from July 12, 1957 - March 1958? Unfortunately, there is a project currently digitizing the ship logs for 1956-1963, so the ship logs are unavailable at the moment. I have the cruisebook, but the only date and real info is her departure date to join up with the Sixth Fleet, though it doesn't say if that's from Norfolk or Mayport.

It started in Mayport, FL, made a stop in Norfolk for supplies, then headed to Gibraltar... Cannes... Paris???.... Barcelona... Greece... Athens... Corfu... Rhodes... Cannes for Christmas (again?)... Swiss Alps for skiing (port?)... Genoa... Rome (while they were in Genoa?).... Palma, Majorca.... Gibraltar... Home...

That's what the cruisebook says anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    A couple of shots of the changes I made to create the FDR. As noted, I'd like to change out the A-4, E-2C and Intruder to more period correct aircraft if anyone has any suggestions. S2's were occasionally seen on the deck at that time, too.

Nice looking "Swanky Frankie"

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Nice looking "Swanky Frankie"
    Thanks

Sadly, wrong SCB for what I'm hoping for, but, one step at a time

I was able to clean off the deck though. So we can now put whatever deck layouts we want on it. I left the 2D people, and fixed up their textures so we don't have zombies with half their bodies missing as they wander the deck.

I didn't do much to the ship itself, just worked on the textures and modified the effects.

I should be releasing the aircraft textures for all the planes I've done over the weekend. I'm going to release them per plane. For instance, I think there are twelve different texture sets for the Razbam F2H-3. Except for a couple of planes, all the BuNo/Modex combos are correct for the cruise.

If anyone knows where I could get a list of BuNo/Modex combos for the ship, I'd appreciate it. It would be nice to make the squadrons/detachments complete. As I said, the last time I looked, the ships logs are unavailable because they are part of a digitizing project. Which is cool because when they are done it'll likely make them easily accessible. I don't know where else I might look. I continue to peruse the internet looking for pictures from the cruise. I think there's a video available, too, so I might get that.

I'd like to also release the FDR ship I've modified from the version created by Lazarus from Virtual Navy's model. How would I ask for permission to do so?

I've been having a lot of problems landing on it, but I don't know if that's my own lack of skill, set up of the planes I'm flying, or something to do with how the wires are set up on the ship. So I'd appreciate it if somebody would test it out for me.

Next step in the project are to create deck layouts of aircraft and start to develop AI Ship routes for the cruise.

Wish they'd say what their progress is...

https://www.archives.gov/research/military/logbooks/notice

Good thing is, 1961 - 1967 is available if anyone is interested in those periods...

https://www.archives.gov/research/mi.../navy-online#f

I should be releasing the aircraft textures for all the planes I've done over the weekend. I'm going to release them per plane. For instance, I think there are twelve different texture sets for the Razbam F2H-3. Except for a couple of planes, all the BuNo/Modex combos are correct for the cruise.

If anyone knows where I could get a list of BuNo/Modex combos for the ship, I'd appreciate it. It would be nice to make the squadrons/detachments complete. As I said, the last time I looked, the ships logs are unavailable because they are part of a digitizing project. Which is cool because when they are done it'll likely make them easily accessible. I don't know where else I might look. I continue to peruse the internet looking for pictures from the cruise. I think there's a video available, too, so I might get that.

I'd like to also release the FDR ship I've modified from the version created by Lazarus from Virtual Navy's model. How would I ask for permission to do so?

I've been having a lot of problems landing on it, but I don't know if that's my own lack of skill, set up of the planes I'm flying, or something to do with how the wires are set up on the ship. So I'd appreciate it if somebody would test it out for me.

Next step in the project are to create deck layouts of aircraft and start to develop AI Ship routes for the cruise.

Try here

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/

Scroll down to USS FDR and there are links that will show the embarked squadrons you may be interested in.

Hope that helps,

Blog Entries

PM sent, re testing.

dl

Try here

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/

Scroll down to USS FDR and there are links that will show the embarked squadrons you may be interested in.

Hope that helps,
    Yep, I have the cruisebook, but, it's not so deep into the details of the cruise... Lots of pictures of pretty ladies though (Navy .. Times were different in the '50's)

But I did get a lot of good information out of it. It did give a vague idea about the cruise, but I'd really love to read the log books of day to day activities and cruise details.

In perusing other log books, I was amazed at how many court martials there were.

FDR

Tom,

I'm using it in P3D V4.5 - the markings on the flight deck are a bit blurred out of focus (edges of lines) at least for me.

When comparing the flight deck stripes to the "42" looks crisp and clear whereas the stripes look a bit blurry.

Tom, I'm using it in P3D V4.5 - the markings on the flight deck are a bit blurred out of focus (edges of lines) at least for me. When comparing the flight deck stripes to the "42" looks crisp and clear whereas the stripes look a bit blurry.
    I can certainly work on fixing that. I'm new to Carrier deck textures, so I'm not quite sure what color it should be, but I can do some more research and fix that. The text is nice and sharp, so no reason the deck doesn't have to be. I basically was using another deck texture to start with, but it wouldn't be hard to redo it.

Tom,

In your readme you mentioned that you did not know what a DASH pad means.

I know what the DASH is/was and this 'splains it. I think the pad was the landing zone for the DASH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrodyne_QH-50_DASH

Tom,

In your readme you mentioned that you did not know what a DASH pad means.

I know what the DASH is/was and this 'splains it. I think the pad was the landing zone for the DASH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrodyne_QH-50_DASH

Ahh, now I get it, and that's what he said (USS) Gearing (is) landable DASH pad... Thanks

Ahh, now I get it, and that's what he said (USS) Gearing (is) landable DASH pad... Thanks
    I was assigned to a Sumner class DD right out of boot camp that had Fram II incorporated which would of included the QH-50 DASH helo

but came soon after I completed my tour there. The DD I was on had the Hanger for it.

Just Uploaded Phase 1 - CVA-42 USS FDR Med Cruise CVG-17

Well, I just uploaded the first phase of the project, repaints for planes of the 6th Fleet CVG-17 Mediterranean Cruise from 7/12/1957 - 3/5/1958.

8 sets of files for the 8 squadrons. I created as many BuNo/Modex combination paints as I could figure out. I had to guess some for the AD-5N and AD-5W. I'll correct those if I ever figure out what they actually were.

Hopefully you guys don't find too many problems, haha

Air Group CVG-17

100 VF-171 Aces F2H-3 Banshee (RAZBAM)
    200 VF-74 Be-Devilers F4D-1 Skyray (Virtavia)
    300 VAH-3 Sea Dragons A3D-1 Skywarrior (Virtavia)
    400 VA-175 Devil's Diplomats AD-6 Skyraider (Tim Conrad)
    601-604 VFP-62 Det. 37 Fighting Photos F2H-2P Banshee (RAZBAM)
    701-703 VA(AW)-33 DET. 37 Night Hawks AD-5N Skyraider (RAZBAM)
    801-803 VAW-12 DET. 37 Bats AD-5W Skyraider (RAZBAM)
    (HU)xx HU-2 DET. 37 Fleet Angels Piasecki HUP-2 (Jim Jacobson/FSX Upgrade)

Last edited by FlyingsCool; June 20th, 2020 at 09:16.

A few more of the planes...

I just did a flight off and around the Rosey outside of Corfu Greece for a while... Set the date to Sept, 1957, when she was there... and I realized my dad, the crew, was there less than a year after the Hungarian Revolution... Got me to thinking what it was like being out there back then... Middle of the cold war, cut backs in the military... In the middle of it and yet isolated from it at the same time I imagine.

I just did a flight off and around the Rosey outside of Corfu Greece for a while... Set the date to Sept, 1957, when she was there... and I realized my dad, the crew, was there less than a year after the Hungarian Revolution... Got me to thinking what it was like being out there back then... Middle of the cold war, cut backs in the military... In the middle of it and yet isolated from it at the same time I imagine.
    Have to ask, is that air wing ensemble you put together going to be static aircraft spotted aft of the island or forward of island or a recovery/launch mode?

One of the other carrier that was released here (Hancock/Bon Homme Richard /Shangri-la had a "Loaded" texture that was carrier with static aircraft spotted just aft of the island.

The HUP helo, will that be an AI plane guard?

Thanks

Edit: Don't know if possible but, AI aircraft landing/launching from FDR would of been nice, or any AI carrier for that matter.

Have to ask, is that air wing ensemble you put together going to be static aircraft spotted aft of the island or forward of island or a recovery/launch mode?

One of the other carrier that was released here (Hancock/Bon Homme Richard /Shangri-la had a "Loaded" texture that was carrier with static aircraft spotted just aft of the island.

Thanks

Edit: Don't know if possible but, AI aircraft landing/launching from FDR would of been nice, or any AI carrier for that matter.
    I haven't got a clue

But to really answer your question, Yes, that's the idea... all those things you said. What I'd like to do is create several deck layouts that can be interchanged, and the reason I misaligned the FLOLS is in hopes that I could figure out how to do AI on the carrier, and I figured it would work best if the runway was aligned with the runway. And the main one I'd use would be a layout that allows both recovery and launching.

I'm only very newbie at carrier design, and I'm not even sure what's possible, but I have dreams

If there are people who'd like to lend a hand, I'd appreciate it, but, on to phase 2, which will include upgrading the carrier further (and maybe even figuring out how to create an SCB-110 version, but I'd have to figure out how to efficiently model stuff, which seems beyond me at the moment), and creating some static layouts for the carrier (like the corsair models for the Essex fleet). By the time that's finished, for phase 3, I may have access to the deck logs and be able to create AI routes and, maybe, yeah, create AI interaction with the carrier??

To be honest, even creating static layouts is beyond me at the moment. I created a bit of one for Saufley to populate it with T-34's. But I have a lot to learn. Got that done by hook and crook.

Not to mention I'd like to use freely available models so I can share it. I could create private ones with my payware stuff, but the point is to share. There's a lot of F2H-2's out there (I assume because of Korea link), but I haven't found any good F2H-3's yet I don't think, for instance. And how do I set up a static model with wings folded?

Good thing is the Alphasim A3D and A4D stuff is available, but, I imagine I have to FSXize them, unless someone already has.

Personally, I'm ok at texturing, sort of.. (still don't know how to create spec sheets effectively). But I barely know anything about modeling for FSX.

Thanks

To answer your AI question, apparently SWS was/is working on something. I kind of hoped it was built into FSX, but, I could deal with having to work within the constraints of CEX I imagine?

I don't know what the current status of it is...

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...ndings.441788/

To answer your AI question, apparently SWS was/is working on something. I kind of hoped it was built into FSX, but, I could deal with having to work within the constraints of CEX I imagine?

I don't know what the current status of it is...

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...ndings.441788/
    I read your link and WOW, the ideas Alex and his crew are coming up with are amazing. He addressed about AI carriers landings and even future AI helo

landings on ships landing pads, and to watch his video of a AI carrier landing with the cable noise was amazing. This will a exciting new standard for future AI

carrier operations.

Edit: Alex addressd this a few years ago here on SOH and if you look at the last entry, he (Alex) mentions to the carrier devs to PM him if you are interested in making your carrier

CEX capable - Using his SDK

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...t-carrier-ops!

A couple of shots of the changes I made to create the FDR. As noted, I'd like to change out the A-4, E-2C and Intruder to more period correct aircraft if anyone has any suggestions. S2's were occasionally seen on the deck at that time, too.

From what I see here, looks like there are a few static acft on the flight deck. Hope we can see some period correct static acft on the flight deck in future release.

From what I see here, looks like there are a few static acft on the flight deck. Hope we can see some period correct static acft on the flight deck in future release.
    I took those off so I/we can put whatever planes we want on the deck. Assuming I can figure it out. After all that work I did prepping all the textures for upload, I just spent the day flying today

Blog Entries
    Hi Thomas,

Been testing the carrier a bit, and also tried on the F2H-2P repaints - really like these. I thought I had kept the Razbam Skyraiders, but I think when I moved from FS9, I purged them. A shame, because perhaps with MCX, I could have brought them into P3Dv4.5.

Anyway, the repaints look good, and will spend a bit more time on the carrier itself. So far, the basics seem to work - but will test further.

cheers,

dl

Sorry I am missing something. I see all the repaints in the library for the airwings but where do you get the FDR carrier?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Members who have read this thread: 3