Finally getting a head tracking unit and need you help.

Thread: Finally getting a head tracking unit and need you help.

Finally getting a head tracking unit and need you help.

After saving some money I'm finally get a head tracking unit. I have found a few and would like to know if anyone has used them.

The first is trackir 5. It does have a steep price and has been around a long time.

Second one is the frass monkey puck. Its price is cheap, and hses a modified ps3 camera. It looks as if it uses 2 software.
    https://rdial60.wixsite.com/grassmonkeysim

My biggest question is the trackir easy to setup?
    As always thanks for your help.

I agree, TrackIR is expensive, but it is also a long term investment. My TrackIR is version 3, the first to implement their 6 degrees of freedom tracking. Mine must be 10 years old now, maybe 12, but it still works like new. I think its set up and adjustments are reasonably simple.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I have TrackIR & Trackhat https://www.trackhat.org/

Both are pretty comparable and I like them equally. I would urge you to study some You Tube videos by independent people before you opt.

The only criticism I would level at TrackIR is the receiver on the Monitor is a bit flimsy, mine, the legs snapped years ago and is held on the monitor by Velcro.
    The Tackhat is now Wireless which I wish was available when I bought it but is made of sturdy stuff.

Both you have to wear a baseball cap and you can look a dork if you have to answer the front door and forget to remove it
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Thanks for the replys. Its much needed info.

I was looking at the trackhat but it seems no shipping for 3 months due to the corvid 19.

The trackir does have some concerns due to the fragile clip that attaches to the headphones. But would any of the ir clips work with the trackir camera?

I got a TrackIR about a year ago, and I've been pretty happy with it.

At least in my case, it took a couple hours of fiddling with the software to get the responses exactly where I wanted them for P3d (you can completely customize how the software reacts to movement on every single axis, or even disable an axis, and you can set up dedicated profiles for every single game/sim you have), but once I got that done, it's been pretty much "set it and forget it" until

The only criticism I have is that the tracker seems to work best when it's about level with the top of your head, so moving your chair up or down can change how far you can tilt or turn your head before it can't see the tracking dots, but unless you're mounting it substantially higher or lower than your head, it's not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by azflyboy View Post
    I got a TrackIR about a year ago, and I've been pretty happy with it.

At least in my case, it took a couple hours of fiddling with the software to get the responses exactly where I wanted them for P3d (you can completely customize how the software reacts to movement on every single axis, or even disable an axis, and you can set up dedicated profiles for every single game/sim you have), but once I got that done, it's been pretty much "set it and forget it" until

The only criticism I have is that the tracker seems to work best when it's about level with the top of your head, so moving your chair up or down can change how far you can tilt or turn your head before it can't see the tracking dots, but unless you're mounting it substantially higher or lower than your head, it's not too bad.
    So if the trackirclip pro breaks *from what I read and seen on youtube, can you use any of these clips to replace it with.

I'd assume that as long as there's three reflectors or IR transmitters, it'll find them, but I don't know if the positioning has to be specific for it to work properly.

I use the hat clip that came with the TrackIR, and I've been pretty happy with it so far.

I have been using a TrackIR 4 with TrackClip Pro for about 15+ years now. They can be tricky to set up initially, but once you get the hang of it, it's no big deal.

You might experience some problems if you use it in a room that has a lot light unless you also have a TrackClip Pro....which I definitely recommend.

I broke the mounting base on my TrackIr about 10 years ago, so I mounted it to a modified metal binder clip with double sided tape. It still works perfectly fine, clipped to the top left corner of my monitor.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

The Track IR is a must have. The Trackclip pro is flimsy junk. Go with one of the other clips. A clip works much better than the hat reflector, well worth the money. I use the Trackhat Clip with a Duracell USB battery.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Duracell-In...s%2C249&sr=8-5
    Sue

Members who have read this thread: 0