Interesting Market Garden footage

Thread: Interesting Market Garden footage

Interesting Market Garden footage

I happened upon this footage of glider towing operations during Market Garden

It involves loading and flying scenes of Stirling and Halifax bombers with Hamilcar and Horsa gliders.

All of these aircraft are somewhat overshadowed by the more famous aircraft of the time which makes it all the more interesting.

The takeoff scene from in the glider shows the work involved in flying aircraft with very different flight characteristics.

From the Australian War Memorial web site

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/F02614/

Thanks for that, a family friend was dropped by Horsa glider on D-day at Pegasus Bridge (different op, I know) and it reminded me of Bob’s humour in the graffiti chalked on the gliders. Scallywags all!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

VERY IMPRESSIVE!! Thanks for the link. And what a bad luck those brave men had a couple of hours later. And for us Dutch that bad luck meant the worst part of WW2 had yet to come.

hertzie

Watching the cockpit footage of those Horsa pilots wrestling with the controls really gives a new appreciation of the skill and courage needed by glider crews.
    -Mark

I would do anything you asked me todo, spent 30 years in the Air Force working on explosives of every type and size including Nuclear. After watching this footage, I would face a Firing Squad or Hanging before I'd fly in one of them Balsa Wood and Newspaper contraptions. In all honesty those boys had extremely large testicles !!!!!!!!!!!
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.

You can have this experience yourself.........

Its the WACO CG-4A Assault Glider by FSAddon. Its only 4.95 Euros but I have a lot of fun with it. It comes with a very nice drivable Jeep and other goodies.

Cheers,
    Huub

Nice shots Huub!

But let's not forget that most Waco and Horsa gliders did not make it to the ground in the undamaged state that your shots show.

Cheers,

Priller

Members who have read this thread: 0