Joystick problem

Thread: Joystick problem

Joystick problem

Hi,

I have just re-installed CFS1 on my computer. Got it set up fine and runs great on my win 10 system.

The one problem I have is my Saitek X52 joystick is not recognised. I cannot get it to operate at all.

I have tried re-calibration but I keep getting messages that the set up has changed.

Please can some kind soul help me out?

Thanks

Hello Oliver

Just install my "patch" and all things wrong with your joystick should be right.

SOH has a copy here; http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=21&id=17663

Hubbabubba
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Thanks!

I will give it a whirl.

Thanks that did the trick. Fantastic.

CFS1 is a lot harder to fly than I remember!

Hello Oliver,

Glad you and Hubbabubba got things worked out.
    If you really want to have something difficult to fly, try out the P-39DEJ.
    It flies pretty reasonably until you shoot off all the ammunition in the nose guns and then becomes a lot harder to handle.

- Ivan.

The difficulty of flying got me hooked, in fact!

Long story short; my first flightsim was A-10 Cuba and, while the graphics were bleak, the flying was great.

Many FS came after, including FS-98, but the avionics and aerodynamics were so-so...

When CFS1 was released, I was lukewarm to the idea of buying a CD without trying it first, but my go-to reseller, Radio-Shack at the time, was not ready to install one on a demonstrator PC.

So I got a copy from FVGJHJKGFCHCBZSXDGF (name willfully omitted). The settings were for poor graphics but fast speed.

And I went chasing a Bf-109E (without prop disk) in the Swiss Alps with a Spit 1. At first, I was under the impression that the "FS-98 with guns" was, unfortunately, going to be true. But the Messerschmidt made a violent break-left and, trying to turn inside, I did the same.

The right wing started to buffet!!! I was elated!!! Only A-10 had given me such thrill before.

BTW - I got the hun on my next pass...

PS- I did bought a legal copy the very next day.
    Last edited by hubbabubba; May 2nd, 2020 at 15:53. Reason: PS
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Quote Originally Posted by hubbabubba View Post
    The difficulty of flying got me hooked, in fact!
    Hello Hubbabubba,

Some Warbirds are more difficult to fly than others, but nobody in their right mind designs a combat aircraft to be difficult to fly.
    Being difficult to fly kills your OWN pilots and the objective is to kill the other side's pilots!
    The Spitfire Mk.I you described has a reputation for having very few vices and a ridiculously low stall speed.

The "difficult" part comes from having an aeroplane that is generally quite heavy for its size when compared to modern General Aviation aircraft and with that comes the resulting higher stall speeds, and faster take-off and landing speeds.
    Many of the best liked (by pilots and not necessarily the armchair variety) fighters such as the Spitfire, A6M, Hellcat, tend to be described as quite easy to fly.

The flight modelling in CFS offers a LOT of possibilities that I don't believe we have exploited yet. Part of it is a lack of documentation and even today, over 20 years after its release, *I* am still discovering things in the AIR file that do things I did not expect. The Airacobra flight model took forever to develop because it had characteristics and behaviour that other aircraft did not have. To make it unstable, I had to figure out what parts of the AIR file affected that. Adjusting one thing would break others. There are many inter-relationships that I am still trying to figure out.... The Stirling gave me another surprise.
    There is a whole lot more that the basic CFS AIR file can be made to do, but I don't yet have the knowledge to figure out how to tune things even though I recognize the features are present. I believe the people building the stock flight models spent much much less time on their development and testing.

....While most aircraft behave fairly well, there are some that have a reputation for dangerous handling in certain conditions.
    The improperly ballasted Airacobra is one example that is easily available now. Another example would be a P-51D with its fuselage fuel tank filled and not carrying drop tanks.

The point I am trying to make is that the "difficult to fly" is not so much a reflection on the simulator's capabilities which are actually quite good but is really more an evaluation of a particular implementation of flight modelling which may or may not be so good.

- Ivan.

Members who have read this thread: 0