WINDOWS 10, WHICH VERSION? OEM or FULL RETAIL 32/64 bit

Thread: WINDOWS 10, WHICH VERSION? OEM or FULL RETAIL 32/64 bit

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs

WINDOWS 10, WHICH VERSION? OEM or FULL RETAIL 32/64 bit

I'm one of the old arse hold outs !

With the upcoming release of MSFS and seeing the requirement for the OS to be Windows 10. I'd like to know if it really matters if I get (from New Egg ) the Windows 10 HOME OEM version (on DVD/disc) or the FULL RETAIL version Windows 10 HOME: 32 bit/64 bit (on flash drive).

Windows 10 HOME OEM is not supported by Microsoft stated on the New Egg product description page

Windows 10 HOME FULL RETAIL 32 bit/64 bit is supported by Microsoft

Thanks for the advice.

Don

Members +
    I stand corrected, but I think that the OEM versions (original equipment) are meant for brand new laptops/PC's.
    So, go for the 2nd choice.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Windows 10 for free

You can get a free version following the advice here:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-get-windows-10-for-free/

To answer your previous questions, the lack of support for OEM version means Microsoft won't answer questions about the OEM installation. Once installed, it will be no different than any other version, and they will answer questions (of course you'll need to know pakistani or hindi to talk to the rep).

Install the 64 bit version.

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Thanks for the input.

I've been researching, reading reviews, and getting my game plan laid out for upgrading memory hardware from 16 GB ==>>> to 32 GB moving stuff off my 2 SSD 's to an external 2T portable drive.

I think prudence wins out and I'll get the FULL retail version, it's only $26.00 more.

Thanks for the link, rhumbaflappy , to https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...s-10-for-free/ I learned a few things there. Thank you also, zswobbie1 , I have a lot of work to do before MSFS gets released.

With the children home schooling, I updated one pc and one laptop. Both needed Windows 7 Home Premium reinstalled first (tl;dr) before upgrading to Windows 10 as linked above. One installation went without a hitch, the other needed phone activation from Microsoft which is really easy via an automated freephone number.

Two Windows 10 installations running perfectly and activated, so kosher. And not a penny spent!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

If I am not mistaken none of these stores like Newegg (one of my favorite placed to buy PC hardware) can actually sell any version of windows. Microsoft stopped selling windows that way a few years ago. If you need to purchase windows you should be getting it from the MS store using your MS account. I read an article a while ago that said basically all of these places were still selling the product and should not be (AKA bootleg products).

rhumbaflappy instructions are what I used to upgrade several systems to W10.

Now to the original question. Back in the day of Windows XP to qualify to purchase the OEM version you had to purchase a new hard drive. That was it, I bought a bunch of them and built systems off of the OEM version. When you did that you were supposed to be selling the PC and you became the primary support person for that customer.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Basically, OEM version is like Walmart 'own brand' of Win10, and was allowed to be installed on new PC's by the vendor.

If you want the real thing , then official is the way to go.

Easiest way is to do the Win10 upgrade, as above....but note, before you do, make sure you disconnect (unplug) any external hard drives you might have connected to your machine. The Win10 installer sees external drive the same as any other thumb drive, and will attempt a reformat of same, to stash the Win10 system install files on.

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    If I am not mistaken none of these stores like Newegg (one of my favorite placed to buy PC hardware) can actually sell any version of windows. Microsoft stopped selling windows that way a few years ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Basically, OEM version is like Walmart 'own brand' of Win10, and was allowed to be installed on new PC's by the vendor.

If you want the real thing , then official is the way to go.

Easiest way is to do the Win10 upgrade, as above....but note, before you do, make sure you disconnect (unplug) any external hard drives you might have connected to your machine. The Win10 installer sees external drive the same as any other thumb drive, and will attempt a reformat of same, to stash the Win10 system install files on.

You can still buy - legitimately - from retailers like Newegg. They sell components to people building PCs and an OEM edition is an Original Equipment Manufacturer edition for people building machines from scratch. Like Dave. Back in the day you got a DVD, maybe two, and a license code: you were supposed to supply technical help to your customer if they couldn’t start the thing, like Dell do to their customers.

Nowadays, you get a license code and a URL to download the software from Microsoft. You know you bought a dud when activating Windows and a rude message says your license is already in use. You can also buy - legitimately - a full Windows license from retailers and you still only get a license code and URL for the download, but Microsoft will help you if you get stuck. (as if we hadn’t heard of the InterWeb...)

It still is curious that a legit Win 7 or 8 license can be upgraded to Win 10 for free, but I don’t speak for Microsoft.

That’s a really good tip from Pete, btw, and here’s another:- sign up to a Microsoft account when installing Win 10 and link your license to the account. I did that with my old rig and when the new one was built I could tick the box to say the hardware had changed and my license was transferred to the new rig. Again, no cost, no hassle.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Situation in Oz seems different, my two or three retailers sell both versions and have always done so.
    My W7 Pro disc was an OEM version and never refused to accept my S/N.
    I settled for the bottom level W10, 'Home', and the only thing I can't seem to root out is that crappy MS Paint!
    If MS were really on the ball they'd sell a basic bare bones version of the OS, that would appeal to minimalists like me.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I am one of the Windows 7 holdouts. I will keep an eye on what some of you have to say about the free update.
    I am not a computer geek and go by the saying "If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it".
    I have tried a few times to install things that I wasn't sure about and ended up messing things up, if this free update is simple to do and installs easy, I may be tempted to change over.
    I hope those who try the free update give your opinion of how it went for you.

Members +
    Well, as your Windows 7 is no longer supported, it could be said to be 'broken'.
    I've done the free update on quite a few laptops & PC's over the years, without any issues at all.
    There are a few caveats, but the forums will help out.
    It's always better to have an updated operating system, with updated & supported security.

Regards,
    Robin
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Members who have read this thread: 0