P3D_V5 Tufun's WIP Howard 500HP textures in P3Dv5

Thread: Tufun's WIP Howard 500HP textures in P3Dv5

Tufun's WIP Howard 500HP textures in P3Dv5

Ted sent me his work in progress textures for the Howard 500 FSX by Milton Shupe and crew to test in P3Dv4.5HF2, however, right after he sent them, P3Dv5 was announced, and immediately afterwards, Hotfix3 for 4.5 was announced! By the time I was able to load the textures, I had loaded both the releases, and started suffering the CTDs that many are having, in both 4 & 5. I was able to isolate the main cause of my v5 crashes, ie DON'T USE ATC! So I got a series of shots in v5. Have not been using v4.5HF3 since the first series of crashes.

Up front I will mention I am NOT a screenshot expert, nor do I have Chaseplane working properly, yet, so these shots are using the default outside and cockpit cameras with zoom on the slider on my Saitek X52 Throttle.

The first set of shots are over Whitman Field, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, default P3Dv5, no atmospherics.

Something else causing a problem in v5, any time my mouse moves in the cockpit, it causes a totally black screen, that lasts up to 5 seconds. So far, this is the only aircraft it happens on. Default aircraft seem fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot2648.jpg   screenshot2642.jpg   screenshot2628.jpg   screenshot2625.jpg   screenshot2618.jpg   screenshot2620.jpg  

Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

More screen shots

These next shots are taken over Marshalltown, Iowa, 15 miles from where I live. ORBX Base pack, NA LC, Buildings HD and Trees HD installed. Atmospherics not turned on.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot2666.jpg   screenshot2665.jpg   screenshot2669.jpg   screenshot2668.jpg   screenshot2667.jpg   screenshot2663.jpg  

Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Some airborne shots:

The last shot is over KDSM, Des Moines, Ia. Weather is default "fair weather" in loading screen. No REX or AS textures installed, yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot2703.jpg   screenshot2705.jpg   screenshot2704.jpg   screenshot2694.jpg   screenshot2720.jpg   screenshot2718.jpg  

Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Last set. This time, I've loaded the original photoreal textures as done by Milton, and, using AITraffic FX, from Flight1, I used Tufun's textures. Since his is now an AI aircraft, the props do not spin at full speed, so they appear stopped in still shots. When I learn how to do the multi aircraft shots that Jankees does so well, I'll be able to get more realistic screenshots. Anyway...

These last shots were taken from St.Paul's "Downtown" Municipal Airport, then flying south over hwy 52, towards Rochester. I travel Hwy 52, then catch Hwy 63 south side of Rochester every day to/from Tama, Iowa, in my semi-tanker, going to the Flint Hills Resources Pine Bend Refinery to pick up a load of asphalt oil (asphalt "cement")during the winter.

ORBX Base, NA LC, Buildings HD and Trees HD installed, Atmospherics ON this time. I like it better. Still default clouds.

Some observations about the textures by Tufun:

In V5, the green is much lighter than the 1-1 aircraft. Milton's photoreal textures are much closer, nearly exact.

The reflections are there, but you have to be at the right angle and light to see them.

In the previous posts, I realized my texture settings were still 2048, which was the default settings with my rig. I increased them to 4096, and the difference was very noticeable.

Ted's detailed panel lines and rivets and screws/Dzus fasteners really make the textures "pop" without over powering them, like happens on many IPMS built plastic models. I've been around enough aircraft in real life to know that the actual panel lines, rivets, etc. do not become really visible until you are just feet away, not many yards, like a lot of modelers like to depict.

The last shot is a little off topic, as it is the screen I get whenever I use ATC. Occurred about 10 seconds after the preceding shot. Never happened with v4.5HF2 and before. v4.5HF3 and V5 both do the same CTD. Supposed to be a fix out next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot2900.jpg   screenshot2918.jpg   screenshot2916.jpg   screenshot2915.jpg   screenshot2905.jpg   screenshot2902.jpg  

Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

That aircraft was one of my favorites for a long time. years ago. It is awesome to see that it is still being worked on :-)

I too am plagued by the ATC problem. The image below is me when I am half an hour into a flight and press the ATC key to file a flight plan.

My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Interesting how that looks between different sims using DX9, DX10, DX11, now DX12, and on top of that in-game settings and monitor calibrations.

The blue glass in one sim, dark chrome in another, otherwise it's a cool plane to fly.

I agree with the photoreal paint job, now if the sims have self-reflections that would help a lot in the realism department.

P3Dv3 No HDR, turn on HDR then looks a whole lot different.

I like to tinker with PS...

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Interesting how that looks between different sims using DX9, DX10, DX11, now DX12, and on top of that in-game settings and monitor calibrations.

The blue glass in one sim, dark chrome in another, otherwise it's a cool plane to fly.

I agree with the photoreal paint job, now if the sims have self-reflections that would help a lot in the realism department.

P3Dv3 No HDR, turn on HDR then looks a whole lot different.

I like to tinker with PS...

Yes, they do look different in each sim. I also think the camera has a lot to do with it. I had Chaseplane working for one small 5 minute period while checking out it's actions on the ground, and it seemed to be much sharper than the default camera. But then, when I changed views, Chaseplane quit working, it would not move in any view, so I turned it off, as I was trying to correct other errors. I will get it working, soon.

Your shots make the panels show up just right on that profile view, where my camera almost doesn't see them. I forgot to mention, HDR is enabled, both in the sim and on my tv/monitor.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Here are a few with HDR on and does turn darker, especially on the shadow side. Monitor not HDR rated. Direct sunlight shows the detail nicely. Looking at getting P3Dv5 later this year should be polished a little better by then with a beefer video card and updated monitor.

Don... new wings are in the works right now, so soon as I get those done I'll PM to you.

Polished metal still looks good with HDR on.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Dont use ATC in v5, case of CTD.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Dont use ATC in v5, case of CTD.
    AGREED!!! Sometimes, old habits are hard to break!
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Members who have read this thread: 0