Snowbirds Canadair CT-114 Tutor

Thread: Snowbirds Canadair CT-114 Tutor

Snowbirds Canadair CT-114 Tutor

Well thanks to the lock-down and the new FSX/P3D script for Blender, I have started to work on the CT-114 Tutor again. I was originally planning on doing it for both FSX and P3D but I went a little (okay...a lot...) overboard with the detail and now it will not compile for FSX.

There is still a lot to do but I figure I have about 75-80% of it done. Most of the virtual is done with the switches and buttons, but I still need to do the main gauges with coding.

Texture mapping is coming along nicely too after I received some help on what I was doing wrong with the whole bump/spec stuff as I never did that with the first Tutor for FS9.

I may need to see if I can find some help with the actual textures as I really want some nice detail with full panel lines etc...including some nice detail in the landing gear bays/speed brake area/etc... and that is beyond my skills with Gimp or Photoshop.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CT-114_Tutor_Back.jpg   CT-114_Tutor_Bottom.jpg   CT-114_Tutor_Top.jpg  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This shows much promise. Looking forward to it.

Blog Entries
    Wow - talk about a blast from the past!

So good to hear from you! Can't wait to see this trainer in the sim. Thanks for persevering with it!

dl

I posted this over on the FSDeveloper website but not sure if everyone here goes there too, so...here is a small update.

I believe I have the external all texture mapped and animated. Maybe just a little adjustment here and there. Now to work on the VC part more and get the xml gauges working. I am trying to get the xml coding a friend did for the FSX version to work within the model itself (modeldef.xml...). Not the greatest at xml coding.

Here are a couple of screenshots from within Blender showing the animation, at - 0 and at 100. I would do ones from P3D but my texture skills suck and the bump/spec maps need a lot of work.

Ignore some the gauges/texturing in the VC as some are just place holders for now so I understand how the dual panel will look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ExternalWithAnimation_At_100.jpg   ExternalWithAnimation_At_0.jpg   VC-Cockpit.jpg  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    You’ve really nailed the shape, Zoren.

The real life Tutor nose is a bit of strange set of compound curves - but your model really captures it. I’ve been able to spend a bit of time around these on the ground at both 15 Wing Moose Jaw and at 4 Wing Cold Lake.

I hope you’re able to overcome the issues - this labour of love is going to be gorgeous.

DL

Have most, if not all of the main gauges coded for. From the small testing I have done, they seem to work but will have to wait till I get some people to test it out and let me know what works/doesn't work. Textures are not fixed in stone as they are something I through together in Paint .Net just to get an idea of what I am looking at. Final textures are a WIP and hopefully will have something soon to play with within the P3D.

Rudder pedals where added last night. Have to see how the look in the sim to see if I need to do something with the space behind them or if it is good enough.

If funds are available, I may get P3D V5 to see if everything will work in that as that seems to be a popular place right now and may take over V4.

I hope you enjoy these. Thanks for viewing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CT-114 Tutor Cockpit_002.jpg   CT-114 Tutor Cockpit_001.jpg  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    Have most, if not all of the main gauges coded for. From the small testing I have done, they seem to work but will have to wait till I get some people to test it out and let me know what works/doesn't work. Textures are not fixed in stone as they are something I through together in Paint .Net just to get an idea of what I am looking at. Final textures are a WIP and hopefully will have something soon to play with within the P3D.

Rudder pedals where added last night. Have to see how the look in the sim to see if I need to do something with the space behind them or if it is good enough.

If funds are available, I may get P3D V5 to see if everything will work in that as that seems to be a popular place right now and may take over V4.

I hope you enjoy these. Thanks for viewing.

Well, I’m sure I’m not the only one, but it’s got to be said this is looking absolutely gorgeous. Lots of hard work going into this, one can tell. Big kudos.

I'll second what DL said - your work is looking absolutely amazing. You're doing a fantastic job.

Mark

Looking good and a few suggestions

Looking good so far.
    Say some of these jets have GARMIN GPS units in their cockpits:The Office by Andrew M., on Flickr
    Also can you please have an optional Captain Jenn Casey co-pilot to honour her memory? Understand if no but should ask.
    Last edited by JosefK; May 18th, 2020 at 00:50. Reason: Need hard breaks

Actually I do have a Blender female model I was planning on trying to use as a pilot within the jet. Just haven't gotten that far yet, but I will look into it more now.

As for the new updated navigation, the problem is I haven't been able to find a gauge they use for FSX/Prepar3D. I do have a Sandell SN3380 that I bought awhile back for this project to see if I could fit it in as it was only $5.00 but it is FS9 and doesn't look the greatest compared to today's standards. All of the gauges so far are apart of the model, so no VC to model. I do have a 2D panel set from the last one that has been updated, but not with those new gauges.

If I find anything I like, I may try to add it but seeing I don't have the time or skill to make a SN3500, not looking good. Not sure what model the skinny rectangle one in the middle is though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Zoren View Post
    Actually I do have a Blender female model I was planning on trying to use as a pilot within the jet. Just haven't gotten that far yet, but I will look into it more now.

As for the new updated navigation, the problem is I haven't been able to find a gauge they use for FSX/Prepar3D. I do have a Sandell SN3380 that I bought awhile back for this project to see if I could fit it in as it was only $5.00 but it is FS9 and doesn't look the greatest compared to today's standards. All of the gauges so far are apart of the model, so no VC to model. I do have a 2D panel set from the last one that has been updated, but not with those new gauges.

If I find anything I like, I may try to add it but seeing I don't have the time or skill to make a SN3500, not looking good. Not sure what model the skinny rectangle one in the middle is though.
    Thanks for doing your best!

Played around with base textures while I wait for Shane to work on the real deal ones. This is done as I got tired of working on the crappy textures I defaulted to. Also it helped me with making sure my mappings line-up nicely for Shane to do his thing.

I hope others are like the progress so far. We will be looking for some beta testers to make sure FM/gauges/etc are working good.

This is freeware in case anyone was wondering...

PS. Ignore the weird effects on the textures as they don't appear that way on my file here or within Blender. Must be the compression. Sorry about that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BottomScreenShot.jpg  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Gps unit is a GTN tm 650 ADS-B Garmin.

Thanks for that.

It doesn't look good to give my Tutor project an update in the navigation systems as there doesn't appear to be anything in the freeware world. SimFlyer made the SN3308 but that is for FS9. It is cheap at $5.00 but not sure how well it will work with P3D as I haven't tried yet. As for the Garmin one, Reality XP has that and the SN3308 but at a little higher price. Out of my price range as I would never really use them. So for those looking for updated navigation, sorry but it'll have to be old school flying, unless I luck out and win the lottery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Welcome back! I'll help you with testing, let me know. How about that C-102?

That's next on my list...can't forget about that puppy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Looks superb Zoren.

Re avionics, I have zero issue if there's no built-in GPS. So long as the OEM pop up is available, that's fine by me. This plane is over half a century old, and with avionics that have evolved, and with modelling details such as helmets and masks that evolved quite a bit in that period.

My personal preference is the 70s ish era helmets/masks and that period's avionics. But that's just me. Others will have other preferences, and so I think you need to find what period do you have the best reference materials for, and go with it. Repaints can fill in the much of the gaps.

My question is will the model have the necessary shine characteristics to support the metallic paints beyond those of just the Snowbirds? For example, their entire operational life at 2 CFTTS, they wore either a polished or light aluminum paint and red scheme.

Anyway - looking forward to this, and feel free to to count me on me again of you need testing help. Was happy to do it for the FS9 version, and happy to do it again (wow - was that really 15 years ago? Man, does time fly!)

dl

Members who have read this thread: 2