Return to Hethel (FR B-24)

Thread: Return to Hethel (FR B-24)

Return to Hethel (FR B-24)

1st Lt. Albert Dexter was a pilot in the 566th Bomb Squadron, 389th Bomb Group, 2nd Air Division of the 8th Air Force during WWII, completing 35 missions flying out of the former RAF Hethel airfield. After the war he worked for many years as the PA announcer for the Minnesota North Stars hockey team, was one of the local fixtures of the Minnesota 8th Air Force Historical Society, and until his passing in 2003 was a key figure in getting the Collings Foundation bombers to stop by the Twin Cities on their annual tours each summer. At the tour stops in the Twin Cities is where I met him, as he would volunteer his time to be the guide/docent for the Collings B-24J. He was a neighbor and friend to my grandmother for about the last decade of his life I believe, both of them sharing a common interest and different backgrounds in vintage military aircraft. From their correspondence, which got passed along to me after my grandmother's passing, I was interested in learning more about his service and the aircraft that he flew, named 'Pugnacious Princess Pat'.

Al's combat tour with the 566th Bomb Squadron began in July 1944. In a presentation he would give about his service he spoke a lot about the shear amount of luck, as he put it, involved in surviving the war. On July 7, 1944, he was to take a "dollar ride" with a crew out on a mission for his first experience of combat, but lost a coin flip at the last minute to another pilot that had also been booked to go - that airplane and crew didn't come back from that mission. Through their first few missions, Al and his crew flew a B-24 that was a shared deal with another crew, and after the fourth mission, while Al and his crew were away on a two-day pass, the plane and its other crew were lost on a mission. It was around this time that he and a pilot buddy of his got together to brainstorm what the heck they could do to try and improve their chances to survive the war. The result was two things - one was to always fly good, tight formation, as the Luftwaffe tended to attack the groups/elements that were not so closely joined together, and the other was to fly the high right element. He noticed early on that when the flak was missing, it missed low and to the rear of the formations, so he requested early on to fly the high right element, where he would remain, and which he credited the most for keeping him and his crew out of the most danger. He said the only downside to that was that he always had to be flying the aircraft all of the time, as the co-pilot would never be able to sight the lead aircraft he would be flying off of.

After the loss of the aircraft he and his crew had been sharing on their first four missions, Al was given a brand new B-24J-65-CF, serial number 44-10579, that had been manufactured by the Consolidated factory in Fort Worth, Texas. This aircraft had gone through the Louisville-based Convair modification center to receive final Theatre modifications and Tech Order improvements prior to delivery overseas. At the Convair mod center the aircraft was marked with a small processing number on each side of the nose, reading '35-45'. '35' was the modification batch number and '45' was the sequencing number, it being the 45th Liberator of that particular batch received/processed at the mod center (you can see the same thing on the Flight Replicas' RAF Liberator GR.VI model/textures, with an earlier Louisville modification batch number of '26'). There were a total of 5 modification centers around the US where freshly manufactured B-24's were flown to and processed, where they received the latest upgrades and special modifications required for their individual assignments. This allowed the main factories to continue producing B-24's at peak pace and not get bogged down.

As it was a brand new aircraft, Al was able to name it and he did so by naming it after his wife, Pat. He initially had the name 'Princess Pat' applied to the nose, along with the nose art, inspired by a Vargas pinup, but that night his crew chief, John Gantus, came back and added the word 'Pugnacious' above it, as he felt that then the aircraft had a real fighting name. One never to argue with his crew chief, Al went with it. Al and his crew, twice, had the incredible experience of having their required mission tally increased. When they began flying combat missions in July 1944, the requirement was still set at 25 missions and they'd be able to go home. After Al's 14th mission, the requirement was raised to 30. Then, just after he got back from his 29th mission, just one away from being done with it all, the requirement was raised again to 35. His nerves were so shot by that time, due to the stresses of combat, that the base Chaplain, not telling Al, actually sought out and received permission the next morning for him to be able to be done and to go home right then and there. Al refused, however, as he didn't want his family to know he quit, and he flew the remaining missions.

This is the complete mission roster that I have from Al for each of the 35 missions he and his crew flew, from July 11 to November 2, 1944. The worst missions he recalled were the two where he was sent to Hamburg, due to the amount and concentration of anti-aircraft guns/flak.

7/11 - Munich, Germany
    7/12 - Munich, Germany
    7/16 - Saarbrücken, Germany
    7/17 - Belfort, France
    7/20 - Freidburg, Germany
    7/23 - La-Couronne, France
    7/24 - Saint Lo, France
    7/25 - Saint Lo, France
    7/28 - Paris, France
    7/29 - Bremen, Germany
    8/1 - Nogent-sur-Marne, France
    8/2 - Nogent-sur-Marne, France
    8/6 - Harburg, Germany
    8/9 - Saarbrücken, Germany
    8/11 - Strasbourg, Germany
    8/13 - Saint Malo, France
    8/15 - Zwischenahn, Germany
    8/18 - Metz, Germany
    8/24 - Brunswick, Germany
    8/25 - Wismar, Germany
    8/26 - Emmerich, Germany
    9/8 - Karlsruhe, Germany
    9/10 - Ulm, Germany
    9/26 - Hamm, Germany
    9/27 - Kassel, Germany
    9/30 - Hamm, Germany
    10/3 - Speyer, Germany
    10/6 - Hamburg, Germany
    10/7 - Kassel, Germany
    10/12 - Osnabrück, Germany
    10/19 - Mainz, Germany
    10/22 - Hamm, Germany
    10/26 - Münster, Germany
    10/30 - Hamburg, Germany
    11/2 - Bielefeld, Germany

The crew of 'Pugnacious Princess Pat' through these 35 missions consisted of:

Al Dexter - Pilot
    John Foster - Co-Pilot
    Warren Denny - Radio Operator
    Harry McGowen - Engineer/Top Turret (according to Al, there were other engineers that also flew with him during a time when McGowen fell ill)
    Carl Ganapini - Navigator (some missions)
    Emmet Hall - Navigator (some missions)
    John Joyce - Bombardier
    Harold Morris - Right Waist
    Francis Van Hine - Left Waist
    Carrol Smith - Nose Turret
    Jaffrey Taibi - Tail Turret

The following information comes in part from articles in the 2nd Air Division Journal and Minnesota 8th Air Force Historical Society flyers, from the books The Hidden Places of WWII by Jerome M. O'Connor and Over Here by Steve Snelling, and a Eastern Daily Press article by Steve Snelling, as told by David Hastings, MBE:

During the war at Hethel, Al Dexter and his crew befriended a local English boy by the name of David Hastings, who came out to the perimeter fence one day to watch the B-24's return from a mission and happened to be near the revetment where 'Pugnacious Princess Pat' would be parked. There, waiting for the Liberators to return, was crew chief John "Pop" Gantus (25 years of age, but older than the rest of the crew by 2 years), who introduced himself and the rest of the ground crew to David, and as 'Pugnacious Pricess Pat' rolled into its revetment and its engines shut down, told the crew of his meeting the boy. Al went straight to the fence, introduced himself as the pilot, and lifted David up over the fence. Immediately an MP showed up demanding that the boy would need to leave, but Al told the MP he had one of three choices - "You can shoot me, which I doubt, get me confined to barracks, which means no more missions, or you can get the hell out of here". The MP quickly left and Al introduced David to his crew and began what would become a ritual of walking David around his B-24 after each mission, arm around his shoulder, counting the bullet holes. With every passing mission David became a sort of good luck charm to the crew of 'Pugnacious Princess Pat', and a needed distraction from the war. When not flying, David was allowed to climb inside the aircraft and play out his childhood fantasies of flying a B-24. Following the completion of the crew's 35th and final mission, David Hastings' family hosted the entire crew at their home for a final farewell.

Following the last mission for Al and his crew, his crew chief on the ground, John "Pop" Gantus, volunteered to extend his tour of duty and re-mustered to aircrew. Al, upon hearing this, insisted to Gantus that he stay on the ground where it's safe, and that the war wouldn't last much longer anyway, but Gantus felt he still had a destiny to fulfill in the air. John Gantus was killed in action on March 23, 1945 on a raid to Munster, Germany, where he was serving as an engineer/top turret gunner on the B-24 "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

Years after the war, David Hastings became a multi-engine rated pilot and would serve as chairman and vice-chairman of the 2nd Air Division Memorial Trust in Norwich for 28 years. Making a number of attempts to track down Al Dexter, David was finally successful in 1990, receiving a phone call from Al after he had read about David's inquiry in an edition of the 2nd Air Division Journal. At the 2nd Air Division reunion held at Norwich that year, David and Al reunited for the first time in 46 years. Then, in 1992, David and the 2nd Air Division Memorial arranged to pay for a B-24 to fly across the Atlantic and participate in that year's 2nd Air Division reunion in Norwich and other events in the UK commemorating the 50th anniversary of the US flyers coming to England. The Collings Foundation initially accepted but then had to decline due to the nature of the Atlantic crossing. The Confederate Air Force, however, agreed and their B-24 'Diamond Lil' was flown over to England that summer of 1992, with David Hastings as co-pilot (within the CAF, this has become known as "Diamond Lil's Greatest Flight"). Both David and Al Dexter flew together on 'Diamond Lil' and Al was able to take the controls of a Liberator once again - in David's words, "He hadn't lost his skill".

After Al and his crew's last mission, a second crew took over 'Pugnacious Princess Pat'. Tragically, however, only a few weeks later the aircraft was shot down by flak on a raid to Bieleford/Misburg, Germany on November 26, 1944 resulting in the deaths of 6 of the 10 crewmen. Although I became interested in depicting this aircraft because of Al Dexter, it is also just as much a remembrance of the lives that were lost from that second crew. The crew on that mission were:

Robert Hicks (POW) - Pilot
    Harry Alexander (KIA) - Co-Pilot
    Kenneth Wylie (KIA) - Radio Operator
    Eugene Lanze (KIA) - Engineer/Top Turret
    Wayne Buhrmann (POW) - Navigator
    Alfred Fromm (POW) - Right Waist
    John Fithen (POW) - Left Waist
    Henry McCormack (KIA) - Nose Turret
    Richard Sagers (KIA) - Tail Gunner
    Paul Garrett (KIA) - Command Pilot/Observer

A few years ago, family members of those crew members raised the money to produce a plaque memorial that is now located in the town of Altwarmbüchen, near Hannover, Germany, where the aircraft came down. The plaque reads:

"The families of the brave men aboard the United States Army Air Forces B-24 “Pugnacious Princess Pat” dedicate this memorial to the compassionate people of Altwarmbüchen, Germany, who respectfully buried our men who died in the crash and who tended the wounded navigator, 2nd Lt. Wayne Buhrmann on November 26, 1944. Special thanks to Margrit Berkelmann Dietterle, only 7 years old at the time, who courageously brought Wayne a cup of water to drink. We also extend our appreciation to the German people beyond Altwarmbüchen who attended to 1st Lt. Robert Hicks, S/Sgt. John Fithen and S/Sgt. Alfred Fromm."

When making this repaint, I only had two photos to work from, both showing just the left side of the nose. In adding the factory-applied stars & bars, which changed and differed a lot throughout B-24 production, I referenced other B-24J-65-CF's, one of which was only a few serial numbers away, to make sure it is right for that particular airframe. Fortunately I knew what individual call letter Al's aircraft had, that being 'D+' (confirmed with 389th BG records), as seen on the rear fuselage and tail fins, and all of the 566th BS/389th BG aircraft had a very specific way in which the markings were applied, so I could reference photos of other B-24's of the 566th to properly recreate the squadron markings (including aligning an original wartime overhead photo of a 566th BS B-24 to the wing textures, to get the 'circle-C' in the right place and drawn correctly). In one of the two photos I was able to use showing the nose of the aircraft, the nose art writing of 'Pugnacious Princess Pat' is clearly lighter than any of the other writing, and lighter than the red of the fire extinguisher panel, so I concluded that the writing had likely been done in blue and looks nice that way. I could also just make out through both photos that Al had "Pat 'N' Sandy" written underneath his pilot's window, and I was able to confirm that Sandy was the name of his first child.

I had to make some concessions in the placement of the nose art writing, due to the difference in the size/shape of the navigator's windows between that of the model variant I used from the Flight Replicas product compared to the variant and mods of the original aircraft. There were an incredible amount of different nose configurations throughout B-24 production, that it would be unrealistic to have covered them all. One of the other of the Flight Replicas J-models does have the earlier, oval-shaped navigator's windows, and the side armor by the cockpit, like 'Pat' had, but the nose turret is different and it doesn't have the side bombardier windows that 'Pat' had (installed as part of the Louisville modifications). Also, in the original two photos I had of the nose there were only 11 bomb symbols painted on the aircraft at the time, but I decided to increase it to 35, as recognition of the 35 missions flown by Al and his crew.

The name "Gany" was applied under the left Navigator's window, just above the 'Pugnacious Princess Pat' writing, and I've read that this was another of the nicknames of crew chief John "Pop" Gantus. However, as one of Al's navigators was named Carl Ganapini, I have wondered if perhaps that was his nickname instead. I'm sure there were similar type names by each of the crew stations all around the aircraft, either nicknames or wives or girlfriend's names, and although I know the names of all of the crew members, I don't know what any of those guys would have had by their crew stations. Where the name "Spike" came from, written on the nose turret, I don't know. It's featured in the painting of 'Pugnacious Princess Pat' by artist Clive Brooks, and may be connected to the aircraft's second crew, rather than Al's crew. I liked it and made sure to include it - the nose gunner in Al's crew was Carrol Smith, and the nose gunner in the second crew was Henry McCormack.

These following screenshots, taken in P3Dv5 over the course of a few different flights, feature the Flight Replicas B-24J with my repaint of 'Pugnacious Princess Pat', flying out of and around the city of Norwich, England, central to the 2nd Air Division, and paying a visit to Hethel, the old stomping grounds of the original 'Pat' (using the ORBX True Earth Great Britain South scenery).

Hethel in sight, approaching from the north.

High atop the old Hethel airfield.

Making a "miss approach" over the old east/west runway, now lined with shrubbery.

A few more shots from around Norwich.

The original 'Pugnacious Princess Pat', via the IWM Roger Freeman collection. The other photo I had access to of the nose is from a private individual on Facebook, and I haven't sought permission to post it publicly.

A copy I have of Albert Dexter's crew photo. Al is standing in the back row on the far left, with 'Pugnacious Princess Pat' in the background.

A copy I have of Al Dexter's "Lucky Bastards Club" certificate he received when he had completed his 35th mission.

Here is a photo of the second crew, from the family of co-pilot 1st Lt. Harry N. “Dutch” Alexander. The aircraft in the background is not 'Pugnacious Princess Pat'.

What an amazing story.
    Hard to comprehend what these men endured, always wondering if the next flight would be your last.
    A wonderful tribute to Mr. Dexter, his crew and all of the men and women of the Greatest Generation.

Thanks so much for sharing that John!

Cheers, Bernard
    I7-6700K @ 4.3, ASUS Z170-P, 32GB DDR4 2133, RTX 2070 8GB, Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv5.3 HF2

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstreak View Post
    What an amazing story.
    Hard to comprehend what these men endured, always wondering if the next flight would be your last.
    A wonderful tribute to Mr. Dexter, his crew and all of the men and women of the Greatest Generation.

Thanks so much for sharing that John!

Cheers, Bernard

I'll second that. Great research, impressive history. Thanks for that.

Fantastic story, and writing. Your skills are expanding and growing steadily, John. I'm privielidged to have watched them develop here at the SOH, with the passing years. A great story about Al Dexter and his crew, and airplane. Beautifully done paint and screen shots. A great ribute to the "Greatest Generation." Thank You. I hope I live long enough to read your first book.

As a side note, my paternal grandparents both had a hand in designing and building the B-24, as my grandfather was a design engineer, and my grandmother worked in procurement department on the line at Consolidated in San Diego. My father would later work on the wings of the B-36!!
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

What an amazing post. Thanks so very, very much for sharing this. And for your skill in painting such a beautiful tribute to the crew.

Mark

You're costing me money, John, first with v5, now with the B-24. One question, it seems TE is a bit less garish in v5, is that your observation too?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and respond with your kind remarks! I'm happy to share the background behind that airplane, its crews, and Al Dexter in particular. Of course this was just one of many thousands of similar stories to have come out of WWII. Mike's phenomenal work on the B-24 was the real motivating factor here, being such a perfect canvas to finally try my hand at recreating the paint scheme.

Don, thank you for sharing that information about your grandparents! I'm curious if you have anything of theirs from their time working at Consolidated? The grandmother of mine that I mentioned was friends with Al Dexter worked at a Douglas sub-contractor in Carson City, NV in the early 1950's, riveting tail units for Douglas Skyraider production. It was when my grandparents were living in the area of San Francisco during the last couple years of WWII that my grandmother's life-long interest in aircraft, particularly of the war years, began - she remembered watching P-38s in particular, mock dogfighting over the Bay.

Todd, with regard to True Earth Great Britain in P3Dv5, I have noticed that with the "Enhanced Atmospherics" on, there is quite a change and improvement in the look of the colors of that scenery. Often times it looks very much like X-Plane 11 now (in a good way), for the coloring, especially along the horizon now with the extra blue tint of atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and respond with your kind remarks! I'm happy to share the background behind that airplane, its crews, and Al Dexter in particular. Of course this was just one of many thousands of similar stories to have come out of WWII. Mike's phenomenal work on the B-24 was the real motivating factor here, being such a perfect canvas to finally try my hand at recreating the paint scheme.

Don, thank you for sharing that information about your grandparents! I'm curious if you have anything of theirs from their time working at Consolidated? The grandmother of mine that I mentioned was friends with Al Dexter worked at a Douglas sub-contractor in Carson City, NV in the early 1950's, riveting tail units for Douglas Skyraider production. It was when my grandparents were living in the area of San Francisco during the last couple years of WWII that my grandmother's life-long interest in aircraft, particularly of the war years, began - she remembered watching P-38s in particular, mock dogfighting over the Bay.

Todd, with regard to True Earth Great Britain in P3Dv5, I have noticed that with the "Enhanced Atmospherics" on, there is quite a change and improvement in the look of the colors of that scenery. Often times it looks very much like X-Plane 11 now (in a good way), for the coloring, especially along the horizon now with the extra blue tint of atmosphere.
    John, I will have to do some real digging, as it's all packed away. SOMEWHERE. When I find it, I'll let you know. I know there are some pictures, and I seem to recall some drawings. My grandfather and father were both draftsmen and designers on the design teams of some of the experimental aircraft from the late 40's and '50's. My grandfather died when I was a toddler, so I never got to talk to him, but my father filled me in on a lot, as did my grandmother. Unfortunately, she died before I got into flightsimming.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Members who have read this thread: 1