Repaint request (I don't have the program to do it)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repaint request (I don't have the program to do it)

Repaint request (I don't have the program to do it)

Hey,

I have a repaint request for the IRIS Pro training series Texan Driver. Could anyone do a TAW-4 VT-28 or VT-27 texture for the T-6B, it would be greatly appreciated?
    I don't have the program to do it myself and am short on funds to get one as a college student.

Thanks,

goshawk45

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 98564_1567958671.jpg  

There is a freeware paint program, does everything that paint shop does, Google's G.I.M.P

From here :

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

No excuse for not doing it yourself now.

Ttfn

Pete

Thanks, I did not know about that program, I'll give it a try! Are there any good tutorials on how to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by goshawk45 View Post
    Thanks, I did not know about that program, I'll give it a try! Are there any good tutorials on how to do it?
    You can download G.I.M.P tutorials at same site, and then in library here, download Nigel Richard's painting tutorial.

Ttfn

Pete

On how to do it for FSX? I'm not seeing any.

Here is a start. To get familiar with multi-layered graphic programs is quite a steep learning curve.

THere are also tutorial which will specifically tell you how to make textures in the correct format for FSX, just do a search on:"How to create your own texture in FSX"

You will most likely need a tool called dtxbmp by Martin Wright which can be found here: http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/

The basic principles to create textures are the same for FS9 as FSX. FSX is more complicated as it knows bump and spep maps, both with their own alpha layers. So to keep it simple the tutorial by Nigel Richards will be the perfect start.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...T_tutorial-zip
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rial_part1-zip

Cheers,
    Huub

Going into this now and seeing there are a few good tutorials for repaints. I'm actually trying to just repaint AI including the MAIW T-6s for TAW-4 at Corpus. I'm understanding the layer system, but my issue is trying to figure out how to get the subject pictures on the layer. I'm using scale model decals sheets. I'm using Paint.net (also freeware), but might switch to Gimp.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Here is a start. To get familiar with multi-layered graphic programs is quite a steep learning curve.

THere are also tutorial which will specifically tell you how to make textures in the correct format for FSX, just do a search on:"How to create your own texture in FSX"

You will most likely need a tool called dtxbmp by Martin Wright which can be found here: http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/

The basic principles to create textures are the same for FS9 as FSX. FSX is more complicated as it knows bump and spep maps, both with their own alpha layers. So to keep it simple the tutorial by Nigel Richards will be the perfect start.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...T_tutorial-zip
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rial_part1-zip

Cheers,
    Huub
    Thanks for the links, downloading the tutorial now

I can't figure this out, thanks for the info and tutorials though.

Here's Part 1 of Nigel Richards repaint tutorial

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=8&id=20628

Don't be too confused as it says it's for fs9, but the techniques and methods are common

Ttfn

Pete

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    That might help, thanks

No Please do not listen to them.

If you do you will find yourself just getting dragged into this hobby deeper and deeper.

One day you will wake up and you will find you are a developer not just a Flight Simmer.

I feel bad now, it always starts this way...

First your splashing paint...

Then before you know it scenery modeling and code writing.

Just another lost soul feeding the habits of other lost souls.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post

I AM THAT PERSON and cannot help myself.....I started out doing a couple of repaints and now, several years later, I have at least 6 ongoing modeling projects that I need to finish! There are not enough hours in the day!
    Larry

Just a suggestion, try downloading paint.net(its free), it would probably be easier to learn on than gimp. But, keep gimp to progress into.
    Greenhouse357

Addict

My name is Richard and I am a repaint/scenery/gauge addict. LOL

I just downloaded a basic repaint to use to create the repaint you posted above. You should have it next week and I will share it here. I did the repaint for the VT-10 Wildcats of Pensacola NAS a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    My name is Richard and I am a repaint/scenery/gauge addict. LOL

I just downloaded a basic repaint to use to create the repaint you posted above. You should have it next week and I will share it here. I did the repaint for the VT-10 Wildcats of Pensacola NAS a few years ago.
    Thank you very much, I am way to novice and unskilled at the moment. Here's another pic if you need it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30423914244_da34115a71_b.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhouse357 View Post
    Just a suggestion, try downloading paint.net(its free), it would probably be easier to learn on than gimp. But, keep gimp to progress into.
    I downloaded that one, definitely easier than gimp(way to confusing for a novice). I will keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by goshawk45 View Post
    I downloaded that one, definitely easier than gimp(way to confusing for a novice). I will keep trying.
    I started with Paint.NET and never know where it will lead to. I wanted to repaint a few planes I like that's all.

I just got an email today by the author commissioned artwork for his book. I do not solicit for this which is surprising and it's the fourth book from different authors.

You'll never know once you get good at it work will come your way and it's fun work to boot. I sure didn't.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Personally Retired By Choice

My partner for 10 years had a saying about two hobbies we enjoyed: one was shipmodeling and the second was 12 inch military action figures. When someone sees your work like TuFun said above...the hobby ends up a profession. I traded my passion for shipmodeling and custom uniforms for repainting on my computer and creating buildings and scenery. I have to be careful because I am beginning to enjoy creating more than flying them. LOL! I enjoy sharing my talent here and with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    No Please do not listen to them.

If you do you will find yourself just getting dragged into this hobby deeper and deeper.

One day you will wake up and you will find you are a developer not just a Flight Simmer.

I feel bad now, it always starts this way...

It gets worse than even that. Some day you find yourself idly wondering if flying one of these aircraft into that are of scenery the missus bought you three years ago might be fun. Then you’re surprised to find this flight simulator program thingy isn’t at all bad...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

And Here Is The Result

And now.......here..............s

[IMG]TAW-4 VT-28 I liked this one I found, hope you do.

On the ground - Military Parking 1 - KNGP NAS Corpus Christi TX

T6B Ellis 1 custom designed ejection seat labels

Ellis 4 turning downwind and climbing

Ellis 3 a shot from my wingman LT Fojt

Ellis 2 and the other side

BTW the pilot and instructor HGU-55/P Gentex helmets were customized too to match some other photos I had of pilots in the cockpit. My ol' buddy Adrian was really fond of saying "We do it right...or we don't do it!" God bless him-RIP!

After I share this in a PM with Goshawk45 since he requested it he has it first, I will upload it here to the Warbirds Library.

Blog Entries
    Nice repaint!

dl

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Nice...

A nice repaint . It will find a place in my hangar when published...

Thanks for this work in advance.

RS

Great job, I am enjoying it already!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-4-27_14-37-43-259.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 1