FR B-24 Liberator Released - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FR B-24 Liberator Released

Noseart

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    Hopefully this isn't too nitpicky, but looking at the photo of Tulsa American, I can see that the red stripes on the US flag in the nose art have become the same shade as the tail (red filter on camera?) but the heavy curved stripe under the "The Tulsa American" is dark. Wouldn't that make it not red? Perhaps blue?

Just curious.
    There are some REALLY good photos of the Tulsa American Noseart at the 461st BG Reunion site which has a link in my reply above to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    There are some REALLY good photos of the Tulsa American Noseart at the 461st BG Reunion site which has a link in my reply above to check out.
    I had a look (thanks!) but didn't see any colour photos?

No Color

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    I had a look (thanks!) but didn't see any colour photos?
    There are no color photos that I know of. Check out the two color plates that I found above and see what they did.

Here is the highest resolution photo of the nose art that I've seen. This nose art was applied to the aircraft at the Tulsa factory, having been the last B-24 built there.

https://scontent.ffcm1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...de&oe=5EDA0524

The letters would be red on a blue and white background of the scroll (the scroll outlined in black), based on the relationship to the tonal values as seen in the flag, where the red appears darker than the blue. That is the way it is depicted in Bob's repaint, and which I think is accurate.

There was a NOVA special on PBS a while back, about the discovery of the wreck of this aircraft in 2010.

Hi guys...I think I'm done with it, or at least I'm tired of looking at templates lol. John, I replied to your mail. I actually have 2 color pics of the noseart.

Greenhouse357

It's beautiful!
    But I'm missing a bit of red on the fuselage texture, as part of the red bar of the horizontal tail?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Just a quick question, In all of the photos there isn't any concerning the B-24D and so why? Sure would like a texture for the B-24D of the Hail Columbia, flown by John Kane. thank you

There are a number of Ds previewed here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...s-B-24-preview

As jankees has said there already has been a number done

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    It's beautiful!
    But I'm missing a bit of red on the fuselage texture, as part of the red bar of the horizontal tail?

Thank you very much, Jankees! I see what you mean about the red on the stabilizer and there's other things I still want to work on including polishing up the aluminum a bit. I've downloaded some of your awesome paints and will have a formation shot or two when I'm finished with Tulsa.
    Greenhouse357

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    There are a number of Ds previewed here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...s-B-24-preview

As jankees has said there already has been a number done

Indeed so Matt, but there are all those assembly ships' (and I understand the 'nightmare paintwork' entailed) which seem to have been D models in the main, along with the USMC operated PB4Y (I may stand corrected there).
    Not asking for myself, just mentioning a few examples.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Oh yeah! I like that Jankees!
    Greenhouse357

"The last B-24"

This is my best interpretation of the original photo I posted above. I hope its accurate but don't know for sure. I did find a pic of a 15th AF B-24 with paint on the inside empennages.

Here it is over the island of Vis off the Croatian coast where the real one crashed in the water near the island from battle damage.

And here she is over Croatia.
    Greenhouse357

Those sure look good, Jankees and Bob!

The Best We Can Hope For

We repainters try our best to recreate as accurate a representation of an aircraft from 75 years ago from old b/w photos for others to share and to preserve history. That's what it's all about. Great work, hats off to everyone of you. I have been told by what few are left of the "greatest generation" over at the 461st Reunion Group that only the photos don't lie, the books don't always get it right. Just do the best you can and at the end of the day, that is enough. BZ all

Ha ha! That's close enough to Moby Dick! I'll take it!

All These Great Repaints

All of the artists who have done such a great job and posted here all symbolize one thing especially today, the sacrifice that these brave men did so that we here and around the world have freedom today to celebrate. A big salute to all of you still with us and your families and an even bigger thank you. Thank you too to all our men and women in the U.S. Armed Services currently serving and those who have served to protect us.

Here is the banner from the 461st BG (H) that we have tried to memorialize and not forget them. God bless America.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 461st banner.jpg  

How Appropriate Today, Memorial Day

There were a lot more than us Americans fighting to keep the free world free. I found this and thought it was good to share...

Thank you grandpa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grandpa flight story.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhouse357 View Post
    This is my best interpretation of the original photo I posted above. I hope its accurate but don't know for sure. I did find a pic of a 15th AF B-24 with paint on the inside empennages.

Here it is over the island of Vis off the Croatian coast where the real one crashed in the water near the island from battle damage.

And here she is over Croatia.
    Great paint and great shots!

Thank you, Mike! Another great model from you!
    Greenhouse357

Finally got around to the Liberator. Very skillfully made and amazing detail. Bit of beast to fly - no such thing as cockpit ergonomics in those days. Off to ground school it seems
    Well done Mike.

Note sure whether we need a new thread for paints so I will post here. Is there anybody considering a repaint of the B24 flown by James Stewart when he was at the 455th Bombardment Group before I consider doing one? I understand it was given the name "Nine Yanks and a Jerk" I have only managed to find one or two photographs all black and white although there is a reasonable amount of information about Stewart around on the net. As far as I can tell there was no elaborate nose art. This is the only colour rendition I have been able to find, which is a recent drawing or artwork for a book on the subject:

Those more expert in these issues may be able to tell me if these are the correct squadron colours and aircraft numbers? I am also staying away from elaborate nose art - bit beyond me at the moment.

Training Films

Here are the two films available on youtube links on how to really fly by the AAF book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO0iSx-ZCAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mdU9GEvzTo

You can pretty much fly Mike's B-24 D and B-24J "by the book". Practice, practice, practice.

Lastly, here is the "Anatomy Of A Mission" (Group): https://www.b24.net/MissionAnatomy.htm

I believe that Bomber_12th had said something about having interest in doing the B-24's that Jimmy Stewart was associated with. Great picture of "NINE YANKS and A JERK." I have never seen that before.

those look like the right colors for the 445th BG until about April 1944, when it was shot down.
    It flew with the 703rd BS, so it probably had large letters 'RN' in grey behind the waist gun windows from March 1944 onwards, possibly with a smaller yellow 'I' as well.

Members who have read this thread: 2