P3D V5 buyers regret

Thread: P3D V5 buyers regret

P3D V5 buyers regret

I just bought a copy of P3D V5 and now I am wondering if my not too old video board will be able to keep up that pace with the graphics demands of P3d v5.
    I can request refund and just down grade to P3D V4.5 - which is upgrade from my now P3D V3.4 - Just don't know. The addons out there for V4.5 have been ready
    to go and I could convert a little easier all with the V5 special config for addon ons.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Manufacturer NVIDIA
    Model GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Device ID 10DE-1B83
    Revision A2
    Subvendor ZOTAC International (MCO)/PC Partner (19DA)
    Current Performance Level Level 0
    Current GPU Clock 1506 MHz
    Current Memory Clock 4006 MHz
    Current Shader Clock 4006 MHz
    Voltage 0.794 V
    Technology 16 nm
    Bus Interface PCI Express x16
    Temperature 43 °C

System Requirements – Prepar3D v4

Minimum

Recommended
    Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit)
    [N editions require Media Feature Pack] Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
    Computer Processor
    2.2 GHz Quad Core @ 3.5 GHz + (e.g. Intel Core i7/i9)
    Computer Memory
    4 GB 16 GB DDR4/2666MHz +
    Hard Drive Space
    40 GB, with at least 15 GB on C:\
    (3 GB for the SDK)
    M.2 or Solid State Drive (SSD) is strongly recommended
    Graphics Card Video Memory
    2 GB 8 GB + (e.g. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti) <<< with what I have now, I would think my vid board is more compat in this zone.
    Graphics Card Other
    Full DirectX 11 Support
    Other
    Administrator Rights (for installation only)
    Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2
    DirectX 11
    1920×1080 minimum screen resolution for primary display

Driver version 26.21.14.3200
    BIOS Version 86.04.a3.00.4f
    Physical Memory 2047 MB
    Virtual Memory 2048 MB

Only had this for just over a year and I've read that with P3D V5

"P3D V5 consumes a lot of VRAM. A video card with 8GB is strongly suggested. Better if you have more...the sim now has an indication of your spare VRAM memory, so you'll know when you are going too high"

P3D V5 runs on my rig but with memory of 6gb and recomended 8 GB

G.E. I've been fling V 5. So far I have never gotten it to use 3gb of my 8gb VRAM. I have scenery and autogen set to dense, and water on medium. I'm using 2048 textures. I have tesselation full right. V 5 runs so much better, I think you will like it.
    Sue

Based on my limited knowledge on GPU's. Comparing a GTX 1060 to a 1080 TI isn't even close. That 1 year between both those cards makes a HUGE difference in performance and efficiency. The 1080 itself is much faster and more efficient that the 1060. The 1080 TI is considerably more so than just the standard 1080. I run 4.5 at max settings, with Orbx Global FTX, etc, weather engine, and UTL at max traffic density running at once and it takes a hit on my FPS running a Zotach 1080 With UTL off and the weather engine off I usually run about 50-60 FPS, depending on where I am it's sometimes a bit lower in higher density areas. With those running at high detail addon airports like San Diego or Austin for example. I get like 25 FPS. So I imagine with an updated graphics package, weather, dynamics, etc in V5 it's not a surprise a 1080 TI or better is minimum recommendation now. I always look at user benchmark to compare hardware, I don't know specifically the performance difference between the 1060 and the 1080 TI, but I can pretty much guarantee the 1080 TI is considerably better. Which is probably why it's still double the price I think of the 1060.

I think this is a thing that a lot of us run into though when "new" versions of sims/games come out that we were used to running just fine on our old setups. Hoping that the system you have will run something that's 2 years newer is less and less likely with how fast stuff becomes "obsolete" in tech now days. I got my machine a bit more than a year ago, and I'll probably have to update components in it here pretty soon to keep up with V5 and newer versions of DCS.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Thanks to Sue and Scorth for candid replies.

I just filed for a refund. When I get it, I will upgrade to V4.5 -

I've been using V3.4 (32 bit) for awhile and comfortable like an old pair

of shoes but upgrade to 4.5 (64 bit) will be new to me and

has most of the kinks worked out of it and the addons seem more

installer friendly then the V5 adventures.

Butch

Idea for V5 for people with the same card ( I have the same card ) is

Find out if P3d can run multiple GPU through DX12 virtualisation.

The 1060 cant do hardware SLI. But some games can do multiple GPU through DX12 virtualisation. The performance is slightly less than a 1080 TI generally. If P3d v5 can do that then the "upgrade" price of another 1060 is well under a 1/4 the price of a 2080 ( 1080's are 1500 AUD if you can find them ) .

I'm going to ask LM But dont expect an answer. I have never had any of my contact requests answered.

Also V5 with 2k textures and sliders in the middle and no atmospheric clouds isnt bad just nothing like the screenshots that were used to sell the product.

This is exactly like what happened during the FS2004 -> FSX release. SAme thing people with geforce 450's couldnt run it. Give it some time, prices come down you update and you'll be able to notch those sliders a little to the right and turn on the atmospheric clouds. We'll look back on this thread and laugh at our slow computers whilst interfacing with our retina-VR systems.

Here's a little nugget that I've read might help with Windows 10. It seems Windows 10 2004 uses a lot less Vram.

"In Win 10 1909 (and earlier), ~20% of the graphics card VRAM was reserved for the OS. In Win 10 version 2004 (which is available to members of the Windows Insider Program and also is now starting to roll out globally) it appears that the amount of VRAM reserved for the OS has been fixed at 900 MB, at least for cards with 8 and 11 GB VRAM. Confirmation is needed from users with >11 GB VRAM and <8 GB VRAM. For example, running Win 10 2004, P3d5 now shows 7.1 GB VRAM available on my RTX 2080 Super."

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewt...=6312&t=137223

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

I've reached the point where I'll need W10 to run MSF2020 and P3Dv5 to get optimum performance.
    My recent new build runs W7 and anything (almost) without breaking a sweat.

As W10 seems to break several of my most of graphic programs another build is required, so I'll end up with a W10 box and a W7 box, not ideal but a good enough excuse to stitch this kit together.
    She's going to inflict pain on me when she returns from hospital duties.......

Assembly starts soonish.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    Idea for V5 for people with the same card ( I have the same card ) is

Find out if P3d can run multiple GPU through DX12 virtualisation.

The 1060 cant do hardware SLI. But some games can do multiple GPU through DX12 virtualisation. The performance is slightly less than a 1080 TI generally. If P3d v5 can do that then the "upgrade" price of another 1060 is well under a 1/4 the price of a 2080 ( 1080's are 1500 AUD if you can find them ) .

I'm going to ask LM But dont expect an answer. I have never had any of my contact requests answered.

Also V5 with 2k textures and sliders in the middle and no atmospheric clouds isnt bad just nothing like the screenshots that were used to sell the product.

This is exactly like what happened during the FS2004 -> FSX release. SAme thing people with geforce 450's couldnt run it. Give it some time, prices come down you update and you'll be able to notch those sliders a little to the right and turn on the atmospheric clouds. We'll look back on this thread and laugh at our slow computers whilst interfacing with our retina-VR systems.
    Had to google SLI terminology *** (Scalable Link Interface (SLI) ****
    "is a brand name for a multi-GPU technology developed by Nvidia for linking two or more video cards together to produce a single output"

With that definition, I don't think I'd want two video cards. Maybe others would. Although, I did learn something new.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface

I think V5 is a game changer in many ways and there has a lot to be ironed out. But it is worth it, in my opinion, we just have to wait patiently. I'm sure there will be fixes in the weeks to come.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Have to agree...I bought V5 almost on a lark this past Saturday, just to see what it offered, and see how my late 2016 vintage machine ran it with an 8GB 1070 GTX. Then...I decided to load my ORBX purchases...

I’m stunned. It runs as smooth as butter with frame rate locked at 70 FPS and visually looks great. The new shaders and light level are taking time to get used to...but the bottom line is that I am ready to migrate to it 5 days in.

I agree with the game changer assessment.

Kent

Icon23

@TuFun,

Here's a little nugget that I've read might help with Windows 10. It seems Windows 10 2004 uses a lot less Vram.
    Yes I totaly agreed and I had switched yesterday on Windows 10 Edt 2004 with a great pleasure:
    Before with 1909 edition, Windows was taking 1.3 Go (~20%) on my 1070 GTX / 8Go => P3D v5 could use only 6.7 Go
    After with 2004 edition, Windows takes only 900 Mo => P3D v5 could use now 7.1 Go

And on top of that, I think that P3D is much smooth after this update.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows-10-Edit-2004.jpg  

I to was on the fence about p3dv5. Saw all those great screen shots and videos. At the end the OP 1060 would have run p3d v5 just fine, but what many don't see is the graphics setting and resolutions. Many of those screen shots and videos (the very pretty ones) are in 2k and 4k. A 1060 wont run a game like p3d with high setting in 2k/4k. Add in some addons like orbix and the demand is even higher.

After watching many many yt videos I came across a couple that actually reviewed the game with different settings and resolutions. With and without addons like orbix. At the end the game still looks close to v4.

I test games for a few devs, but was still using 1080p. I now have a 4k monitor and a system to use it at. In games now many look sweet (BF5,farcry) in p3d v4 not so much. As of now I'm going to see what FS2020 offers.

My GPU memory was 2.5 of 5 and when I loaded that trainer prop it went to 3.5 of 5

It was taxed high considering there wasn't much total memory in the bank to begin with.

My vid board rated at 6GB and in the sim it said the top is 5GB.

So all those pretty skies and water in the P3D Video came from a video board with some hefty memory on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    My GPU memory was 2.5 of 5 and when I loaded that trainer prop it went to 3.5 of 5

It was taxed high considering there wasn't much total memory in the bank to begin with.

My vid board rated at 6GB and in the sim it said the top is 5GB.

So all those pretty skies and water in the P3D Video came from a video board with some hefty memory on it.
    Sorry about the SLI I got to keep remembering that I'm a geek. I think you know what it is but for others its basically a plug on certain cards which if you buy 2 you can get a lead to connect the 2 and run 2 video cards as 1. Apparently DX12 through software will allow for a software SLI solution. Again not sure if P3d v5 has this functionality.

I have the same card as you. Medium settings is ok.

Issue really is you wouldnt want to put some coin down on a vid card that gets you reasonable rates in V5 only to find that the 2020 sim from MS requires more. Might be time for a second hand 1080ti which is around the same price as a new 1060 and gamble that it wasnt used in a bitcoin mine! With the knowledge that a 2080 spec is required for the new one. Or SLI 2080 TI's or the entire computing power of a small country.

Quote Originally Posted by lagaffe View Post
    @TuFun,

Yes I totaly agreed and I had switched yesterday on Windows 10 Edt 2004 with a great pleasure:
    Before with 1909 edition, Windows was taking 1.3 Go (~20%) on my 1070 GTX / 8Go => P3D v5 could use only 6.7 Go
    After with 2004 edition, Windows takes only 900 Mo => P3D v5 could use now 7.1 Go

And on top of that, I think that P3D is much smooth after this update.
    Good to know it, next proof of this. I cant wait for official Spring Update of W10.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    Sorry about the SLI I got to keep remembering that I'm a geek. I think you know what it is but for others its basically a plug on certain cards which if you buy 2 you can get a lead to connect the 2 and run 2 video cards as 1. Apparently DX12 through software will allow for a software SLI solution. Again not sure if P3d v5 has this functionality.

I have the same card as you. Medium settings is ok.

Issue really is you wouldnt want to put some coin down on a vid card that gets you reasonable rates in V5 only to find that the 2020 sim from MS requires more. Might be time for a second hand 1080ti which is around the same price as a new 1060 and gamble that it wasnt used in a bitcoin mine! With the knowledge that a 2080 spec is required for the new one. Or SLI 2080 TI's or the entire computing power of a small country.
    I appreciate your candor about the GPU situation. Having seen the requriement for MS 2020 I don't think I care to see all that pretty grass as I have my own real grass to mow every few days and it's free to look at

But seriously folks, What version of P3D are you using? - I'm guessing V4.5 - anyway, nice to know you have same gpu as do there fore I wanted to share some settings I use for P3D V3.4
    (I plan on getting the 4.5 when my I get my refund for P3DV5. I'd pm you however, that's not an option so I will display some of my settings for V3.4 and would like input on what you use
    for your P3D.

Thanks

Butch

Butch, P3D V5 is not only about eye candy. If you can live without TrueSky you can switch it off or set it to the lowest detail. I have a lowly GTX 970 with 4 gig and V5 runs on that even with Truesky on. OK it's a bit short, but as long as the VRAM usage is below 3 gig it works well and stays very steady at 30fps.

LM announced a Hotfix for the bugs next week, maybe wait until then and have a second look?

[Edit:] Do you have similar settings in V5? You maxed out the sliders pretty much, and some of the settings are GPU intensive. You could maybe use a bottom up approach in V5 (begin at the lowest setting) and see where it leads you to.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Butch, P3D V5 is not only about eye candy. If you can live without TrueSky you can switch it off or set it to the lowest detail. I have a lowly GTX 970 with 4 gig and V5 runs on that even with Truesky on. OK it's a bit short, but as long as the VRAM usage is below 3 gig it works well and stays very steady at 30fps.

LM announced a Hotfix for the bugs next week, maybe wait until then and have a second look?

[Edit:] Do you have similar settings in V5? You maxed out the sliders pretty much, and some of the settings are GPU intensive. You could maybe use a bottom up approach in V5 (begin at the lowest setting) and see where it leads you to.

Cheers,
    Mark
    I was about to send you the image settings for P3D V5 but:

Just received email from P3D and they honored my refund (should see it in 7/10 business days) in the meantime, they (P3D) turned off activation i.e. cannot start it up. Either pay for it
    or activate it. They also told me that "If you choose to purchase this product again, it will not be eligible for a refund"

So, If I got P3D 5 again, I cannot get a refund. If I got P3D V4.5 I could get a refund.

Now I am at a crossroad. I think I want to go for the 4.5 anyway. I had a brief taste of V5 only for last couple days.
    One big issue with V5 is my gpu. And getting one that would support V5 better then one I have would cost some serious coin.

I am using 3.4 and want to keep using it and had eyes for 4.5 for last few months then as I suspected, V5 pops. I know I am not interested in MS2020 and
    know of its prerequisites.

4.5 is not that long in the tooth when compared to some who still use FSX and before that.
    Last edited by gray eagle; April 23rd, 2020 at 10:19.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I appreciate your candor about the GPU situation. Having seen the requriement for MS 2020 I don't think I care to see all that pretty grass as I have my own real grass to mow every few days and it's free to look at

But seriously folks, What version of P3D are you using? - I'm guessing V4.5 - anyway, nice to know you have same gpu as do there fore I wanted to share some settings I use for P3D V3.4
    (I plan on getting the 4.5 when my I get my refund for P3DV5. I'd pm you however, that's not an option so I will display some of my settings for V3.4 and would like input on what you use
    for your P3D.

Thanks

Butch

I am using stock 4.4 and stock 4.5hf3 and v5 ( I have a games drive that is full ! ) and I can pretty much put the sliders over to the right on everything on the V4.x sims. I am not using any other addons other than our own however so cant tell what would happen if ORBx was to be added or rex weather or anything like that. But I'm a special case ( my mum says ) I have to develop and test on stock simulators. If I were running it as a game rather than development I would have purchased REX , and some orbx and then my mileage with the 1060 would be different.

I think you need to work out what you want from your simulator.
    If you intend to run addon scenery ( with settings that the scenery developer recommends ) and high definition Aircraft ( again with the settings the developer recommends ) then your 1060 may start to strain. But again what is your target FPS? Anything over 35 for me is fine. Others need their 150 FPS.

From the teaser on MS2020 I think you're going to run it. It's just too good looking not to. It's like saying " no thanks ms sophia loren I dont want to "hang" out with you I'd rather clean my septic tank " To that end I see in another thread someone recommending you a 2070 or a 1080TI , Id look into that. 1080 TI's are VERY expensive in australia. so for me the 2070 is looking like a sweet spot. But I am happy in V5 on medium settings with my current i5 3.3 ghz + 32 gb ram and 1060 6gb vid card. I'll wait till ms2020 is released and hope to see a slide in the prices... bloody bitcoin miners!.

Members who have read this thread: 0