Another look of PBR skins in v5?

Thread: Another look of PBR skins in v5?

Another look of PBR skins in v5?

Ok, installed Today v5.
    Just quick test to see it how its working.

I noticed that PBR model looks different (silver paints). See this, the first screen is from P3Dv4.5 HT2 and 3, second from v5.

In v5 PBR skins looks a lot of darker.

Any idea? Is it another, dedicated way to save texture files for v5?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Ok, installed Today v5.
    Just quick test to see it how its working.

I noticed that PBR model looks different (silver paints). See this, the first screen is from P3Dv4.5 HT2 and 3, second from v5.

In v5 PBR skins looks a lot of darker.

Any idea? Is it another, dedicated way to save texture files for v5?
    Hi Yoyo,

******** is looking into this. Almost all of us have this problem.

Lets wait for the gurus to come up with a solution, or LM to come up with a hotfix, because lord knows that this sim isn't bug free.

I like most of the graphics of the new engine, I like the performance of the sim, but I'm less than charmed with some of the terrain and the texture handling. But that is just me I guess.

Priller

Yes I am having that issue as well. Having a cloud layer above makes it way worse(darker almost black) also.

If you download the SDK and run it there is a new slot for "metallic map has reflectance" next to "metallic map has occlusion".

If it is like UE4/unity then one of the unused channels is now used. and if that is the case then in V4.X it wasnt used and considered black by the sim. In the new one this channel being black would have that look and feel.

Want to know the really cool thing ? Go online to the SDKv5 help area on materials and it is still 4.5 information with absolutely no guidance on how to implement this new function. So when people say it should be a simple fix... well they should pipe up on how to implement this as of yet undocumented feature. Time for R'n'D is needed.

Also I'm thinking it depends on how the original model was implemented. If you follow the SDK for 4.5 it will look like this. If you go off script and ignore the SDK guidelines then there is a chance this effect wont happen.

Anyway my money is on the added reflectivity option which I believe adds the functionality of self reflections. If not implemented in the model ( which it wont as the model is 4.5 and not 5.0 dedicated ) it will suffer something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    If you download the SDK ....
    Thx, looks like a more or less work again . I didnt check how it looks on yours DC-3 yet but perhaps it will be near the same effect.
    Also darker parts looks more darker - like tires, the was near balck now without details which were visible in 4.5. Some of chrome parts of PBR models in VC looks not very well.
    But generally I started to like v5 .

I'd like have to look more closely at this matter.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

BTW. Here are new options:

We surely ought to try that. Interesting that this very minor feature (irony) is not mentioned at all in LM's list of "What's New in v5". Self-reflectance is a welcome feature, but it shouldn't kill the metallics of 4.5 models.

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    We surely ought to try that. Interesting that this very minor feature (irony) is not mentioned at all in LM's list of "What's New in v5". Self-reflectance is a welcome feature, but it shouldn't kill the metallics of 4.5 models.
    According Gordon's post its a shader issue http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1218075 . We'll see, I asked LM about this.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    According Gordon's post its a shader issue http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1218075 . We'll see, I asked LM about this.
    Thx for the HU

What I noticed it concerns only if Dynamic reflection on fuselage is ON position (from low to max).

so maybe it looks like no shaders for this option. Still Im waiting for LM reply .

Finally I recived reply from LM about metallic texture in P3Dv5 with Dynamic Reflection ON.
    https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewt...137062#p215460
    It looks like it's intended effect:

Hello,
    There were several lighting updates made in version 5. Dynamic Reflections were changed to make reflection probes now properly filter all mips. At high smoothness values there may be differences between v5.0 and v4.5. The brightness of the dynamic reflection probe was reduced, based on developer feedback, to be more in line with non-metallic indirect lighting.
    Regards,
    So, hmmmm .... Id like to know how to save PBR texture to see this metallic effect (or aluminum). I think textures must be much brighter than it was in P3Dv4.5 but but what about reflections and shining?
    Any idea?

btw.I'll wait for AH's DC-3 to check new version for v5. Maybe it is already decoded .

Members who have read this thread: 0