Aircraft Compatibility thread for P3D V5 - Page 11
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Aircraft Compatibility thread for P3D V5

Convair 880-990

Well cant say one does not try. The old HJG Convair worked fine in FSX for me but only with a 2D panel. Thought I would have another go at trying to get this old bird into P3D and with a VC. So using mdl converter and all the usual tools and tricks managed to get the HJG converted into P3D - managed to even graft a very credible and nice full functional VC into the beast, sound, gauges everything all worked beautifully. Sounded great flew beautifully but alas something goes amiss in the model conversion process that it seems nobody knows how to fix. Even the grafted VC more than passed for a Convair cockpit. Sheez!

Anyway looked pretty good in P3DV5, flew beautifully without any problems but now as you can see what the problem was - the stabiliser angle or join of the stabiliser to the fuselage and the outboard flaps joining the fuselage. So surrended on this one - so close damn! Always wanted a decent Convair.

Oh tried every trick and method available via FS Developer and the Model Converter gurus - seems the issue is that for some models the conversion process misreads bounding boxes that cover some parts and alas nobody thinks there is a solution or has found one for this type of issue- oh yes there is build a complete new model from scratch!
    Last edited by BendyFlyer; April 30th, 2022 at 16:06. Reason: spelling

I have only some few experiences with MCX to convert some helicopters for P3D. Because of the specific behaviour of the rotors, I had to isolate the rotor sections and had to merge it to the helis body mdl afterwards.
    Just an idea, but how about doing this with the stabilizer section as well? How will it work that way?
    Best regards, Manfred.

SOH-CM-2022
    Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Well cant say one does not try. The old HJG Convair worked fine in FSX for me but only with a 2D panel. Thought I would have another go at trying to get this old bird into P3D and with a VC. So using mdl converter and all the usual tools and tricks managed to get the HJG converted into P3D - managed to even graft a very credible and nice full functional VC into the beast, sound, gauges everything all worked beautifully. Sounded great flew beautifully but alas something goes amiss in the model conversion process that it seems nobody knows how to fix. Even the grafted VC more than passed for a Convair cockpit. Sheez!

Anyway looked pretty good in P3DV5, flew beautifully without any problems but now as you can see what the problem was - the stabiliser angle or join of the stabiliser to the fuselage and the outboard flaps joining the fuselage. So surrended on this one - so close damn! Always wanted a decent Convair.

Oh tried every trick and method available via FS Developer and the Model Converter gurus - seems the issue is that for some models the conversion process misreads bounding boxes that cover some parts and alas nobody thinks there is a solution or has found one for this type of issue- oh yes there is build a complete new model from scratch!
    I took a quick look at the model and gave you a few suggestions over at your FSDeveloper post.
    Gavin

Gavin - thanks and thanks to the FS Developer folk now on the way not perfect yet. Still not for public use alas as this is a HJG aeroplane and I have borrowed some other stuff from some other folk too. But to get at last the Convair into P3D and working is fantastic! Well I think so something about this tube always caught my imagination. (Saw the JAL and Cathay ones when I was a youngster)

Coincidently I have also been fooling around with MCX and converting HJG airliners to P3D. They all have an issue with the stabilizers, elevator and trim tabs that you need to adjust in the animations and reset to zero. Looks like you figured this out for the Convairs. I may have a go at the DM VC10 which was always a favorite model. Have fun!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Expat - getting the hang of it. HJG did good stuff. Their attention to detail was pretty impressive - like the 707 they were the only ones who got the 707-138 (Qantas's first 707) right. It is their show I know but they have stayed stubbornly welded to MS2004 and 2D panels - even right through the FSX era. On one level I can understand why but I gave up on 2D cockpits when FSX arrived just could not go back to that style of sim flying. Still hunting for a suitable 707 VC that might work. Tidy up time on the Convair now.

Is the Aerosoft Bronco working fine in V5?

Dave Maltby BAC 1-11

Having given up on the JF BAC 1-11 (Flight Pitch Stability/performance/lighting bugs) and obviously no fixes or updates to again be provided. I had given up on the Dave Maltby's original BAC 1-11 because of it not having an interior model and not updated to FSX Native. A friend on another site prompted me to have another look at the BAC 1-11 again decided the JF version was a mess and not worth pursuing again! Doing searches etc I came across an FSX Native version that was done by Bjoern (somehow I had overlooked this or missed it). Summary Bjoern did a great job converting it all to FSX Native and then updating all the gauges systems etc. End result the internal textures may seem a little dated but they are still not bad but this was without a doubt a very finely done rendition of the BAC 1-11 by Dave. Now Bjoern only offered the updated kit he had done and you still needed the original package. That used to be a CBFS but alas is not available any longer. More searching about came up with a complete package (minus the VC textures) then found a version on a Russian sim site that had the VC textures so once again the whole package by Dave Maltby was complete.

Performance and systems are all realistic and close to book. Everything works nicely few little glitches here and there but nothing major (just misaligned mouse grab points in P3D). So if you wanted the BAC 1-11 for some strange reason then there it is, get Bjoerns update package, for the complete Maltby Package hunt around for the 2004 model that is what you need as a base package to get all the models, 200, 300, 400, 475, 500 etc etc., then FX BAC 111 at Avsim_su will get you a specific model but get you the missing VC textures. Put it all together and you have the BAC 1-11 all its variants etc. Paints they are about in various libraries and HJG has a good collection for the Maltby BAC 1-11 as well.

HJG has all the Maltby planes available for download, no need to go hunting around all over the web

Fairey Swordfish

Another curiosity from the past the Fairey Swordfish. No great affection for the aeroplane but the exploits of the pilots who were forced to fly this front line bomber off carriers in WW2 are off course tragically heroic. I had the swordfish in FSX but had forgotten about it since getting P3D and lost the install files for the version I had (Alphasim I think). Watching a documentary on the Swordfish went hunting and found this version by Flying Stations who did a lot of interesting naval stuff once upon a time but had long gone but some dedicated soul had saved what he could from their catalogue and there was the swordfish (Link: https://bravozulu.blog/2019/12/18/fl...ions-freeware/ )

Anyway runs off an exe install program and after a check of its integrity in a dummy folder put it into P3DV5 and there it was in all its glory. Fully functional VC and guages and quite a few paints for alternate squadrons on the net as well.

So if you want to doodle about over the ocean or fly it off an aircraft carrier (There are about 4 Flying Station Carriers available as well) there you go!

Percival Mew Gull

Another Flying Stations work the Percival Mew Gull. Again fully functional VC very nice textures and beautifully modelled and no issues in P3DV5.

Westland Wyvern

Another British Oddity the Westland Wyvern - single seat counter rotating props from turbines ala the Gannett. Another ex Flying Stations product, fully functional in P3DV5. (The exterior lights need a fix- I have that need to go look for it) again beautifully done VC etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Coincidently I have also been fooling around with MCX and converting HJG airliners to P3D. They all have an issue with the stabilizers, elevator and trim tabs that you need to adjust in the animations and reset to zero. Looks like you figured this out for the Convairs. I may have a go at the DM VC10 which was always a favorite model. Have fun!
    hi EXPAT

Which VC is that _ off which plane?

Thanks

Roland

PS: I converted many HJG planes for private use to P3DV5 ( had initial help by Tom Gibson ) and usually works well, just had never a proper VC. So I fly with an ammended Just Flight DC8 VC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-6-26_19-40-36-210.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	87747

thunder100 - not to jump in but I would hazard a guess that it is from the other DC-8 (not the JF one) Thats the one I used for the Convair. Apart from the eyebrow windows (Convair never had them) you will be amazed at how close it is to the original Convair cockpits - does me just fine. You know the drill borrow the int.mdl file alter the mdl.cfg file, copy across the panel folder and guages to the Convair and there you have it - quite painless actually. Think there is a little work to be done to fine tune a few guages to the Convair power plants not the DC-8 (WIP for me)

Nice conversion you did too that is a nice paint of the Varig Convair. It was a very stylish beast pity about the engines from the the Hustler they fitted, good speed but whoa the fuel burn is unbelievable see why they had a hard time selling them!

Out and about in the 990 this morning!

It is the stand out feature of P3D that you can still do this and it works out so well.
    Last edited by BendyFlyer; June 26th, 2022 at 14:50.

Hi Bendyflyer

Which DC-8 exactely ?

Thanks

Roland

hi EXPAT

Which VC is that _ off which plane?
    The VC is borrowed from the payware Aerosoft DC-8-55. Has a few systems that make it immersive as well as looks pretty good!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Thanks !!!!

thunder100 if you have any issues happy to help out. Gavinc was very helpful with the MCX Model Conversion business. I still cannot get the clear cockpit glass to show for the CV990 for some reason. I got a fix for the lighting so they are all properly aligned and some are switchable. Could not get the landing lights to do that trick because of they way they were built into the model in the first place but used FSL Spotlights to do that - works just fine! I have the ini for Spotlights - internal and external lights for the Convairs if you want that as well.

Hawker Sea Fury

Another British Oddity available ex Flying Stations from the link given in the SwordFish thread above is the Hawker Sea Fury. This one actually is set up to go as an addon in P3DV4 so with a few changes drops into P3DV5 as addon. Only fired it up and taken it for a spin again very nicely modelled and a fairly complete set of textures from various users of the Fury.

This is their thumbnail forgot to take a screenie of it!

Working on getting this carrier thingy working again in P3DV5 so many nice models now including RFN's stuff to not try my hand at it again. That is another tale and not so easy it seems!

Hi, i yesterday made my long time favorite plane Eric Dantes Beech Twin Bonanza P3d v5 compatible, it was quite easy job by using MCX, no panel/gauge modifications needed to do, all was mostly default gauges that works well also in Prepar3d v5. This is for my own personal use only.

Oh my! That's an old favourite I'd love to have in P3D. If you aren't willing to share (it's really old freeware) I will have a go myself in MCX.

Toni - you need an extra mdl for the interior to show up.
    How did you manage this, please?

Does it work similar to the prop conversion? Means, do I have to isolate the cockpit, remove any other parts and then save the cockpit parts itselves? Do I open the aircraft mdl afterwards and import the cockpit into it and merge it together then? Appriciate if you can provide a little assistance to me
    Best regards, Manfred.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Another British Oddity available ex Flying Stations from the link given in the SwordFish thread above is the Hawker Sea Fury. This one actually is set up to go as an addon in P3DV4 so with a few changes drops into P3DV5 as addon. Only fired it up and taken it for a spin again very nicely modelled and a fairly complete set of textures from various users of the Fury.

This is their thumbnail forgot to take a screenie of it!

Working on getting this carrier thingy working again in P3DV5 so many nice models now including RFN's stuff to not try my hand at it again. That is another tale and not so easy it seems!
    What do I need to change to make it work on P3Dv5?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Toni - you need an extra mdl for the interior to show up.
    How did you manage this, please?
    I have exactly the same questions . .

You have everything (VC and outside) in the same model file in FS2400. I suggest you take a look to the step by step greatest tutorial made by Tom Gibson here http://www.calclassic.com/convert_tutorial/index.html
    TUTORIAL TO CONVERT FS2004 AIRCRAFT TO FSX (AND LATER SIMS) USING MODELCONVERTERX by Tom Gibson
    You should get answers to all your questions and much more ! Gérard

Members who have read this thread: 29