CFS3 can't switch from Intel Graphics to NVidia

Thread: CFS3 can't switch from Intel Graphics to NVidia

CFS3 can't switch from Intel Graphics to NVidia

Hi all!So yesterday I decided to reinstall my dear CFS3 after some years in my Asus laptop.I upgraded the sim to the Firepower 1.08 english version. When I went to choose the graphic card, only Intel option is available. I then went to the NVidia control panel to set CFS3 exe to use NVidia. I didn't work. I even set the whole CFS3 folder for this.I've been watching lots of videos showing more or less the same solutions, but no joy for me. Also went to several pages to read possible solutions, tried all of them, but nothing seems to work.Another bugger is that when I try to map control surface trimming actions to the joystick's 8 way hat, it's like there was no 8 ways/positions. It always overrides the previous one. For instance, if I map the elevator trim down with the 12 O'clock position, then, if I try to do it for the elevator trim up, with that button to the 6 O'clock position, I'll get an alert saying POV1 is already in use for "elevator trim down". It's like it only recognizes one position for that button.I have the latest drivers for the graphic cards and the joystick.Thank you for your help and have a good EasterStay safe

Can't help about joystick, but regarding NVidia vs Intel - I noticed the same issue on my new Asus notebook as well.

It seem the stock (DirectX 8) version of CFS3 will always run on the built-in Intel one and I haven't found a way for it to see the NVidia GPU. Not that I looked too much into it, maybe there are tools to fix it, but I don't know.

However with my DirectX 9 shaders you can use NVidia Control Panel to set cfs3.exe AND cfs3config.exe to run on Nvidia. Then cfs3config will correctly detect the "real" GPU and the game will use it as well.

Surely the video card your laptop uses is set in the BIOS? The onboard Intel video chip should be a get-you-running option when starting up after manufacture, not the default after that.

edit: the problem may be in power management settings for your laptop. If you’ve set for maximum power saving rather than performance then the system may opt for the Intel video instead of nVidia. Worth checking.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2020
    yes to concur with what Ankor says, using the Control Panel you can go into the PhysX engine and ensure that the video card is selected as the primary GPU. Don't leave the setting on auto otherwise the on-board Intel GPU will be used.

Members who have read this thread: 1