Fixing GMax Viewport Leftover Syndrome

Thread: Fixing GMax Viewport Leftover Syndrome

Fixing GMax Viewport Leftover Syndrome

I've tried Microsoft's advice, didn't work. I tried forum advice, also didn't work. This only happens when I'm running Gmax with a scene project open and I right click to say, "hide unselected" or anything else from that menu. When I go to close the popup menu, it closes, but it's ghost remains, and they soon fill up my project window, and I can't get rid of them other than to exit and restart Gmax. Does anyone have a suggestion, I'll gladly try it. Thanks.

Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen junk.jpg  

That can be a real nuisance. I can't give you the definitive answer, but I'll tell you what I've done on my own system to greatly reduce how often this happens.

To run old software like FSX, Gmax and other old DirectX titles under Windows 10, you must have the June 2010 DirectX 9.0c runtime installed - this is the only version of DirectX 9 known to install and work in Win 10. Read the installation instructions!

Gmax should not be installed to default Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders, since the program does not cooperate with Windows 10's default arrangements. Accept the installer's default installation directory of C:\gmax instead and just let it install.

Windows 10 (and older versions as far back as Vista) actively discriminates against some old software and we suspect Gmax is one of these programs: get around this by renaming the installed .EXE file as follows:–

Locate gmax.exe in its folder and change its name – I renamed mine to gmax10.exe:–

You then set the compatibility properties for the renamed .EXE file:–

There are 3 possible video drivers available in Gmax: HEIDI, OpenGL and Direct3D. HEIDI is a software driver and best given some chocolate and told to push off. OpenGL gave great results back in the Windows XP days. Since Windows 7, however, the Direct3D driver has been mostly preferred, so Gmax should be set to the Direct3D driver and the options selected as shown.

Close Gmax and restart it to make these settings stick. Fnerg mentions a problem getting this to work, so here is the alternative to setting the Direct3D parameters:–

You can then create (or edit, or re-create) any shortcuts for the desktop, Start Menu or Task Bar.

These settings have greatly reduced frozen screen for me. Good luck, and let me know how you get on.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Hi Tom, thanks again. Your knowledge, your empathetic tone, giving clear and concise instruction, utilizing edited screenshot examples, is a huge asset to the flightsim community. I can't thank you enough for the help and direction you've given me, and probably many others like myself, as we fumble through these tired old ways of model designing, trying to produce things we can be proud of. Your posts come up frequently while I am searching for answers and learning things, your contribution should be commended.

I followed your advice here, downloaded and installed 9c which I did not have (thanks for the link), and made the change to gmax10.exe. The settings in the d3dgfx.ini I made, have still held on from when we discussed this change a short time ago. So that's good. Fortunately I installed GMax on C: outside of Microsoft's control (old lesson learned) and so that was another plus.

I fired up Gmax and right away I noticed the edges were much smoother and the window boxes looked cleaner. I opened my project and noticed right away the jaggies had almost all disappeared from edges of my model. I then right-clicked for the menu box, closed it and - voila! Gmax Viewport Leftover Syndrome is cured or in serious remission! No leftovers at this time.

Once again Tom, thank you.

Doug

You’re welcome, Doug. One final observation - after each major update of Windows 10 it’s worth making sure Microsoft hasn’t trampled over these settings: I have known it happen.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Wow, Glad I haven't come across this problem as yet.

I installed straight to Program Files (x86) and it has run perfectly from the get go. I run the OpenGL driver as this allows the better res which I use when using background images in 3DS Max too. Images below of install.

First is installed address on my C: drive.

Second is Gmax working... That being said it hasn't crashed yet which I am waiting for as 3DS Max likes to do this.

Like many people I run W10 on my Omen laptop.

Good to be back at it though.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GmaxW10.jpg   GmaxW10Working.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0