GMAX Damage modelling ?

Thread: GMAX Damage modelling ?

GMAX Damage modelling ?

Hi Folks, I'm back again with a modelling question.

I am new to damage modelling for my models so this is another exercise in futility unless I can tap the knowledge of someone familiar with the process.
    I have successfully created damage boxes for my model that conform to the naming conventions in the associated XDP file.
    I have also created damage textures for my model.

What I have not yet discovered is how to apply the damage textures to the model. I am familiar with the normal process of mapping textures to faces for the normal model look.
    What I would like to know is if I must map the damage textures to the faces of the damage boxes, or is this handled in a different way.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Ted is more knowledgeable here, but what you need to look at is not Gmax, but the MOS Editor. Damage textures are mostly overlays which the MOS Editor sets up in a .MOS file. The slightly better MOS editor is included with the Terrain SDK.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries
    Hi Robert, give me a day or so and I'll send a couple of models with full damage and textures. It's far easier to see than explain. The good news is you only have to map the 'normal' model, the rest is just name swapping.

Clive
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

GMAX Damage modelling ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    Hi Robert, give me a day or so and I'll send a couple of models with full damage and textures. It's far easier to see than explain. The good news is you only have to map the 'normal' model, the rest is just name swapping.

Clive
    Pat and Hairyspin, I thank your for your response.

I will humbly await the fruits of your past labours Mates!

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Damage

Ok, there is soo much about damage that is not in the SDK's or in many of the xdp files. I have several pretty cool apps that let you calculate the m damage points, name about 65 possible damage box names. and as long as the boxes are boxes (rectangles) there is a bunch of flexibility in placement and angles.

MOS files as was said in another thread just place bullet holes, nose art and aircraft codes on models when designed to do so. The stock bullets holes are ok, but you really want the ground crew stuff, much more versatility and options. Never forget endcaps in the model as these can be very useful and you can be creative on how you design them to appear. If you want ot talk let me know we can zoom or something and we can learn from each pother I am sure.

Pauke Pauke

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    Ok, there is soo much about damage that is not in the SDK's or in many of the xdp files. I have several pretty cool apps that let you calculate the m damage points, name about 65 possible damage box names. and as long as the boxes are boxes (rectangles) there is a bunch of flexibility in placement and angles.

MOS files as was said in another thread just place bullet holes, nose art and aircraft codes on models when designed to do so. The stock bullets holes are ok, but you really want the ground crew stuff, much more versatility and options. Never forget endcaps in the model as these can be very useful and you can be creative on how you design them to appear. If you want ot talk let me know we can zoom or something and we can learn from each pother I am sure.

Pauke Pauke
    Thanks very much. I am interested in any tutorial/documentation you have that will expand my knowledge as I am new to this. I am not making aircraft. I focus on buildings for WOFF.
    I don't use zoom but I do have skype so that may also be a possibility.

Best Regards

I have some old gmax building models if you want one to see the setup

Thanks folks. I may be well on my way to getting this resolved. Pat Pattle is working with me by email at the moment. We shall see how far I get...

Quote Originally Posted by RJW View Post
    Thanks folks. I may be well on my way to getting this resolved. Pat Pattle is working with me by email at the moment. We shall see how far I get...
    Thanks to Pat Pattle I now have full damage modelling working for my models. The mystery for me has been resolved.

Best Regards

Members who have read this thread: 0