? regarding Discreet GMAX use for terrain population

Thread: ? regarding Discreet GMAX use for terrain population

? regarding Discreet GMAX use for terrain population

Hi Folks;

I would like to reach out to anyone familiar with the use of GMAX for generating facilities.xml files for use in CFS3 environment.

I have been importing my airfields terrain and generating box objects place holders plotted onto the terrain. The resulting XML exports contain the required "X" and "Y" coordinates and the "Z" coordinate if specified is not generated in the XML output file. I have not yet been able to find a way to specify the "angle" field when creating my box objects and I am not sure if this is possible.

The following represents a typical object plot entriy generated in the XML output. The Angle field is always generated as "0" (zero).

<Unit Type="house_small" Position=" 347 61" Angle=" 0" />

I then have to edit the XML file and overtype the "0" with the required angle for each and every unit in the file. Extremely time consuming and not exactly efficient.

If anyone out there has discovered how to input the "Angle" value into the GMAX session and capture it in the XML output, I would greatly appreciate hearing how that has been done.

Best Regards

AFAIK one can rotate an object in Gmax which is exported fine; at least with my airfields.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    AFAIK one can rotate an object in Gmax which is exported fine; at least with my airfields.
    Thanks mongoose for replying. I'm not concerned about rotating an object in GMAX, I more concerned that I cannot capture that rotation coordinate data in the XML file output from GMAX.
    Have you had any success with that?

when you say it is exported fine, is that data represented in the XML file and does it show up in the "Angle" field?

UPDATE:

I figured it out mongoose. I was reverse engineering my airfield by inputting the data from an existing facility xml file by inputting the X and Y coordinates in the X, Y input windows at the bottom of the screen and I also input the angle field in the Z input field but the Z field data was not being reflected in the "Angle" field of the XML export because you can only change that "Z" field if you have the rotation helper highlighted at the top of the GMAX menu first. I tested this and it worked fine.

Always something to learn with GMAX.

Thanks for replying mate.

Glad you sorted it! By the time I use Gmax the next time, I'll have to relearn it all again; comes with age!

I have discovered that positve numbers put into the rotation tool Z axis come out in the XML export as negative numbers, and visa versa.

Very strange!

IIRC there is something about CFS3 which treats 180-360 different from 0-180, in that the former might have to be -ve values. I'm not 100% sure bur AFAIK, it applies to Global Layer orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by RJW View Post
    I have discovered that positve numbers put into the rotation tool Z axis come out in the XML export as negative numbers, and visa versa.

Very strange!
    That’s possibly the difference in coordinate system between Gmax and DirectX. Another example is a model in Gmax for FS has the front showing in Back view of Gmax and the back is seen in Gmax’s Front view. Odd, but modellers just get used to it.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Hairyspin I suspect you are correct about the model orientation, unfortunately I have been editing the exported XML files to manually correct the entries. Which is a pain in the posterior so to speak!

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Angels

I have made many facilities and objects etc. GMAX exports 0-180 as one would expect, anything greater 181 up to 359 is a negative entry in the xml (this was mentioned already).

Two orientation adjustments, one is with the object in the facility as it is oriented to the axis in gmax with 0 degrees being pointing up as per the screen (of course that is if you orient the axis (pivot) to world (if not the object sits rather oddly when displayed). You can adjust the direction of the facility by rotating the dummy associated with it. This will be seen as the ground plane orientation. Are you using the spawn/facility editor makes life a bit easier?

Doing it with the xml is really tedious, you should think about using gmax to make new ones not difficult at all.

My two cents worth maybe less....

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    I have made many facilities and objects etc. GMAX exports 0-180 as one would expect, anything greater 181 up to 359 is a negative entry in the xml (this was mentioned already).

Two orientation adjustments, one is with the object in the facility as it is oriented to the axis in gmax with 0 degrees being pointing up as per the screen (of course that is if you orient the axis (pivot) to world (if not the object sits rather oddly when displayed). You can adjust the direction of the facility by rotating the dummy associated with it. This will be seen as the ground plane orientation. Are you using the spawn/facility editor makes life a bit easier?

Doing it with the xml is really tedious, you should think about using gmax to make new ones not difficult at all.

My two cents worth maybe less....
    I am using gmax to generate XML files but the object orientations are reversed in the XML output but not in the gmax app itself.
    I guess I am not having any success interpreting your statement. Can you be more explicit with regards to the process.

Best Regards

SOH-CM-2020

Mission and Facility Editor

Hi RJW, NachtPiloten mentioned this utility http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=159&id=15412. This is the Mission and Facility Editor by Richard Eikland.

This is a kind of halfway-house between an xml editor and GMAX. It can do some things really well and is a great time-saver.

One thing: when I create an xml output file, any unit in the facility that requires the hashtag randomiser comes out missing the hashtag. So I have to remember to go into the xml file, and add the hashtags after creating the facility with the Mission and Facility Editor.

HTH,

A little habit I got into, years ago, making facilities in gmax...

Yep, gotta have the front/back correct in gmax, for CFS3. Any building/vehicle I build, I always make them with the front in the correct direction. Then, I set the object 'pivot' to the world.
    Once that's set, in the facility gmax file, I simply rotate it, putting the 'front' pointing in the direction I want. Simply use a box, pivot set to world, in the facility file, named as the building/vehicle .mdl.
    Creating the .xml file, it all comes out spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by crossram View Post
    A little habit I got into, years ago, making facilities in gmax...

Yep, gotta have the front/back correct in gmax, for CFS3. Any building/vehicle I build, I always make them with the front in the correct direction. Then, I set the object 'pivot' to the world.
    Once that's set, in the facility gmax file, I simply rotate it, putting the 'front' pointing in the direction I want. Simply use a box, pivot set to world, in the facility file, named as the building/vehicle .mdl.
    Creating the .xml file, it all comes out spot on.

Thanks crossman, I hear you. The problem to some degree is that not all models have been built with the front in the proper direction.
    Your point is well made and a practical approach.

Members who have read this thread: 1