Upgrades for Manfred Jahn Boeing C-97 and B-50
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrades for Manfred Jahn Boeing C-97 and B-50

Blog Entries

Upgrades for Manfred Jahn Boeing C-97 and B-50

I posted this over in the P3D forum, but I will be releasing a major skins upgrade for FSX as well.

Manfred Jahn and I have talked and we agree that an upgrade to the Boeing B-50 Stratofortress and C-97 Stratofreighter will be released.
    The PBR models will be released for P3Dv4+, but the entire skins library has been also upgraded for FSX including comprehensive normal maps and HD textures. The video shows the models in PBR, but the skins translate perfectly to FSX.
    As the project will now cover P3D and FSX, it seemed appropriate to share the video on this blog too.

This will be our small contribution to those sequestered during the plandemic.

Screen shot: B-50 and C-97 HD skins.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

A pure wonder, thank you :sauter::sauter:
    a pure wonder, thank you

SOH-CM-2023
    Those look really sharp, Gman. When you post the skins, please include a link to the original models that apply. Thank You and Manfred.

Hopefully will be available also for MSFS2020 in due time, ... but I understand an application will need to be made first by the AC developers.

Definitely an eye catcher !
    Last edited by MZee1960; April 5th, 2020 at 15:21.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

That update looks magnificent!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Stunning!!!

Very much appreciated!!
    Rob Schreiber

hey guys, thanks! really like them

Blog Entries
    Update:

OK, so I had a go at P3Dv5 and it appears that for the time being, the new shaders break my metallic skins. LM said they fixed the night time metallics from rendering black, but in V5 my daytime skins rendered wayyyyyy too dark. I spent a few days trying to resolve the anomally, but it looks like an issue with shaders.

So....for the time being.
    My re-mastered PBR B-50 and C-97 models will be good for P3Dv4 and v4.5.
    The updated skins/normal maps etc. will also be good for FSX.

As of this posting, all of the models are converted and currently being tested in P3Dv4.5. Everything is working as Manfred originally built into the models, so I'm working on triple checking all of the functions, mouse activated click spots, texturing details and other bits that are associated with a re-mastering of a sophisticated model.

I'm down to the very tiny details at this stage, mostly texture related bits, so I'll be sending the beta to Manfred for his perusal. If we agree that the model is airworthy, I think we will be able to release the entire set very shortly.

Expect some video shortly...I'll post those links up here.

Last edited by gman5250; April 17th, 2020 at 11:21.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Update:

OK, so I had a go at P3Dv5 and it appears that for the time being, the new shaders break my metallic skins. LM said they fixed the night time metalics from rendering black, but in V5 my daytime skins rendered wayyyyyy too dark. I spent a few days trying to resolve the anomally, but it looks like an issue with shaders.

So....for the time being.
    My re-mastered PBR B-50 and C-97 models will be good for P3Dv4 and v4.5.
    The updated skins/normal maps etc. will also be good for FSX.

As of this posting, all of the models are converted and currently being tested in P3Dv4.5. Everything is working as Manfred originally built into the models, so I'm working on triple checking all of the functions, mouse activated click spots, texturing details and other bits that are associated with a re-mastering of a sophisticated model.

I'm down to the very tiny details at this stage, mostly texture related bits, so I'll be sending the beta to Manfred for his perusal. If we agree that the model is airworthy, I think we will be able to release the entire set very shortly.

Expect some video shortly...I'll post those links up here.

I agree! But who am I?

Even the metallic skins made by several artists of SOH on the MJ C-47 look too dark.

Not only that, but terrain wise, I think that LM has quite a bit of work to do on this thing (the sim).

I think that we're looking at a hotfix here.

Priller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Not only that, but terrain wise, I think that LM has quite a bit of work to do on this thing (the sim).

Priller
    The dev team were probably working from home. So much for social distancing.
    Agree on the hotfix.
    Thomas Jefferson

Maybe they're just proving to the world that this is not for entertainment...

Or they're applying the same business model as used with the F-35: release a piece of crap full of bugs after years of development, then have the customer pay for an upgrade.

Sorry if I sound just a wee bit pee'd off. It's because I am.

Sooooo looking forward to what M$ will release with MSFS! If it is anything close to what they promise, I'm forgetting about P3D altogether.

Priller

I didn't have a problem with the textures of either the B-50 or the C-97 as they were in FSX. Gordon, you've taken what was already really nice and knocked it out of the park! The B-50 in the video looks primed and ready for a tour on the warbird circuit! Did you alias the Virtavia B-29 interior to the B-50. (And is that then only available to those of us who bought the Superfortress?)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    I didn't have a problem with the textures of either the B-50 or the C-97 as they were in FSX. Gordon, you've taken what was already really nice and knocked it out of the park! The B-50 in the video looks primed and ready for a tour on the warbird circuit! Did you alias the Virtavia B-29 interior to the B-50. (And is that then only available to those of us who bought the Superfortress?)
    Thanks Josh,

I did alias to the Virtavia B-29 and you are correct, anyone who owns a licensed Virtavia Superfortress will be able to do the same. The model I release will have Manfreds original VC.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    OK...so the new skins and bump maps for the Manfred Jahn Boeing B-50 and C-97 will be released for use in FSX, so this tutorial vid should be of interest to the FSX community as well as the P3D folks.

Here's the pre-flight primer...more coming daily...seeing as we're all sitting home watching oil futures.

Enjoy...it's kind of relaxing and pretty. lol
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Thanks Josh,

I did alias to the Virtavia B-29 and you are correct, anyone who owns a licensed Virtavia Superfortress will be able to do the same. The model I release will have Manfreds original VC.
    Cool! Will we also be able to alias A2A's B337 for the KC-97? If you didn't, I think I understand how to do it myself, but will the model support it?

Blog Entries
    Update:

This is the P3Dv5 revision I am completing at the moment. As far as I'm concerned, this is a quantum step forward for sim enthusiasts. The FSX version of my new Manfred Jahn B-50 and C-97 skins will be identical to these, but with traditional FSX texture formats. Thus, I've posted this update here.

I put together this very brief "beauty" video of the B-50 to bring everyone up to date. There will be a C-97 video shortly.

Enjoy the video, these models absolutely rock in P3Dv5 for those thinking about taking the plunge. IMHO, V5 is one to actually commit to. I'm going to hang my hat on it, but then I'm going to dive into the new MS sim too. No such thing as havin' too much fun.

Thomas Jefferson

[QUOTE=********;1218731]OK...so the new skins and bump maps for the Manfred Jahn Boeing B-50 and C-97 will be released for use in FSX, so this tutorial vid should be of interest to the FSX community as well as the P3D folks.

Here's the pre-flight primer...more coming daily...seeing as we're all sitting home watching oil futures.

Hi ya "G"
    Looks like another home run with this one

Just so I know.....did ya ever read my recent email/pm re:C-47? Any comments? Appreciate a PM/email come back if you have time.
    I didn't realize your involvement and devotion to this tremendous project.

Take care
    Butch

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I agree! But who am I?

Even the metallic skins made by several artists of SOH on the MJ C-47 look too dark.

Priller
    Perhaps they were just working along the lines that these are dark times.....

Sorry.... couldn't resist

Awesome work, G, thanks for sharing so much of your effort, I appreciate it very much.

"Maybe they're just proving to the world that this is not for entertainment..."
    Quite probable Jan, all of us 'Senior College Students' are unconvinced, however I can wait for whatever fixes are need.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Well, I was voicing frustration Wombat. I also think that there was quite a bit of frustration going on after the initial release of v5.

I'm waiting for the new rig that I just ordered (i7 9700K, 1TB M.2 SSD, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 Super)

Maybe with the hotfixes, P3Dv5 will be better now. Performance will be better thanks to the new rig, that's for sure!

And normally this new rig will be OK for the upcoming MSFS.

Priller
    Last edited by Priller; July 1st, 2020 at 06:29. Reason: forgot the disk

Blog Entries
    Initially I installed, then uninstalled V5. Mainly because I was committed to finishing the B-50 and C-97 in a format that I understood very well. After thinking it through, I decided to take the plunge into V5.

It's only my opinion, but I think the current revision with hotfixes is a viable platform. The raw video captures I used for the new vid were created at extremely high settings and the machine ran well within tolerances with no VAS issues. In fact, the actual rendering/production of the video takes my CPU/GPU right to the red line...much, much more demanding than two hours in the sim running relatively cool and right in the sweet spot.

Personally, I'm extremely pleased with the sim as it sits now. Of course, there is a long way to go with atmospherics and other bits, and it won't compare to the new MS platform, but it is a very enjoyable platform. Additionally, the new ORBX True Earth sceneries are absolutely magnificent. As they release I will begin to dump my Mega Scenery Earth. I installed the new Northern California and it is absolute magic...very easy on the equipment too.

I'll be happy to share my setup tweaks. Tiny adjustments do make a big difference in V5.

BTW...I've mastered the new metallic skins with the blue channel "reflectance", as illustrated in the video. That third level of rendering takes the artistic rendering capabilities of the sim to multiples of what we could do before. It is absolutely magnificent...once you learn the alchemy. And...the night rendering of shiny skins is mind blowing.

BTW...I'm upgrading all of my models to V5, and negotiating some other tasty bits that might make ya'll very happy. I've recovered or rebuilt all of my "lost" aircraft models, so the rest is just doing the leg work. Now that I know the gig in V5 it should progress very quickly.

And, seeing as things are the way they are...there is time to do the work.
    Thomas Jefferson

in a couple of days, my new rig should be here and I'll install the latest iteration of v5 and will report back.

But I am very interested in your small tweaks Gordon!!

Priller

Members who have read this thread: 4