Aeroplane Heaven C-47/DC-3 is out! - Page 7
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Aeroplane Heaven C-47/DC-3 is out!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    I've got it - bought directly from Aeroplane Heaven and they sent me an e-mail with download links. I'm having some issues with it but I think they're related to system problems - so no verdict yet. I'll report back after I've done some troubleshooting.
    Alan- thanks for this. As you know, I'm a huge DC-3 fan and want to move on this, but there do not seem to be many detailed photos of the VC and commentary on her flight characteristics. Looking forward to your report once you have it sorted.

C

A search brings some nice cockpit shots:

https://bit.ly/2VCNGts

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Does manual have update for startup procedure?
    Im still waiting for update 1.1 in my store, but ok, it was the weekend, maybe Today!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Yes. The manual is a free download and is the one for SP1.1.

I made some tests and found these issues:

The Magnetos do not work right...
    With the switch initially at OFF this happens:
    Set to OFF: Left is OFF, Right is OFF --> Correct
    Set to LEFT: Left is ON, Right is OFF --> Correct
    Set to RIGHT: Left is ON , Right is ON --> Wrong !! Left should be OFF
    Set to BOTH: Left is ON , Right is ON --> Correct

Now turning opposite:
    Set to BOTH: Left is ON , Right is ON --> Correct
    Set to RIGHT: Left is ON , Right is OFF --> Wrong !! Left should be OFF and Right be ON
    Set to LEFT: Left is OFF, Right is OFF --> Wrong !! Left should be ON and Right be OFF
    Set to OFF: LEFT: Left is OFF, Right is OFF --> Correct

The problem with FSX/P3D Magnetos is that they aren´t that easy to set, at least not the way it would make sense.
    The currrent code for the AH DC3 magnetos are embedded in the interior Model and cannot be fixed without building a new model file.
    I know that the most safe way to set the magentos are via the increase/decrease magneto event's, and either do this directly, or via a cose that uses the logic of the currently set magneto combination.

Also the new 2D panel for setting Cold & Dark etc.. has some errors with certain internal P3D switch settings, as well as some missing inorder to sync it to the sim.

At some point I saw both Alternators being OFF, which they never should be as long as there aren´t any switches in the VC for them.

i have buy the bundle from JF ........
    outside models are beautyfull,cockpit is ok.........but the look at the mixture levers are a pain,is there a way to get them free to move?

also the sound on my system is very strange,sounds like via telephone(i have this only at this plane)any ideas?

cheers
    Ralf

Well, I'll file a preliminary report - preliminary because I hope to be able to revise it to something more favorable after I hear back from Aeroplane Heaven, or after some of the reported issues are confirmed and fixed. Right now, I'm not having a very good experience with the airplane.

Full disclosure - as some of you know, I'm a very minor cog in Manfred's team (I've tested some switchology, and I'm the voice of the GCA final controller - my one moment of stardom!) So I have a long history with that version. But I'd really been looking forward to this one in order to have an authentic DC-3 model, and to be able to fit some modern avionics into a vintage cockpit. I'm still looking forward to it - but right now I'm one of the people that can't get the thing started. Engines turn, and number two makes a firing sound, but won't catch - number one doesn't make any sound while it turns over. I'm no stranger to simulated radials, thanks to several A2A products and the Uiver DC-2 among others. But with this one, I've tried every procedure that's been recommended - mags off to start, mags on to start, hold the mesh switch, release the mesh switch - nothing. I'm open to the possibility that it's user error, but I'm not the only person reporting this and I'm at a loss to know what the error might be. I'm wondering if some of the coding issues that Wothan flagged might be to blame.

Other observations during those startup attempts - I like the idea of a more procedurally complex cockpit, but in practice the controls are really fiddly. I agree with banjoman1960's observation about the mixture levers - it takes a bit of work to grab the latch with the mouse, then drag the lever to the correct detent without overshooting. In my mind it's more important to simulate the operation of the automixture by moving the hardware levers and having the VC levers snap to a detent, the way they do in Manfred's C-47, the A2A Constellation, and (in the case of throttles) several Airbus simulations. Same goes for operating the landing gear - it's fascinating to know the correct procedure but in practice, it's difficult to look down and reach down under the left seat to the latch, then right-click, left-click and drag the gear handle. I suspect that once I get airborne I'm going to assume a copilot and just use my hardware gear toggle instead.

The hamburger door issue doesn't seem fully settled - to run the GPU, it's not enough to move the VC switch to the "show GPU" position, you've also got to have the crew door open and the ladder visible, otherwise the GPU won't show - or start.

I agree with banjoman that the soundset seem thin.

Again - I'm sorry that this is my first reaction and I really hope I can come back soon with better news, either because issues have been fixed, or my startup errors have been fixed, or both.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Following up on my report regarding the Magnetos, here is an example on how to make it work.
    Reason it doesn´t really work is that the Magneto events are toggle switches and not set to On or Off.

Example code for the Engine no.1 Magneto:

(L:C-47_Magneto_Engine1, enum) 0 ==
    if{
    (A:RECIP ENG LEFT MAGNETO:1, bool) 1 ==
    if{
    0 (> K:MAGNETO1_LEFT)
    }
    (A:RECIP ENG RIGHT MAGNETO:1, bool) 1 ==
    if{
    0 (> K:MAGNETO1_RIGHT)
    }
    }
    (L:C-47_Magneto_Engine1, enum) 1 ==
    if{
    (A:RECIP ENG LEFT MAGNETO:1, bool) 0 ==
    if{
    }
    (A:RECIP ENG RIGHT MAGNETO:1, bool) 1 ==
    if{
    }
    }
    (L:C-47_Magneto_Engine1, enum) 2 ==
    if{
    (A:RECIP ENG LEFT MAGNETO:1, bool) 1 ==
    if{
    }
    (A:RECIP ENG RIGHT MAGNETO:1, bool) 0 ==
    if{
    }
    }
    (L:C-47_Magneto_Engine1, enum) 3 ==
    if{
    (A:RECIP ENG LEFT MAGNETO:1, bool) 0 ==
    if{
    }
    (A:RECIP ENG RIGHT MAGNETO:1, bool) 0 ==
    if{
    }
    }

@Wothan -

Am I right that those magneto values in your post are part of the interior.mdl files and therefore can't be edited by non-developer civilians like myself?

-- Saint-Exupery

Alan,
    it is in :\Aeroplaneheaven Douglas DC-3\SimObjects\Airplanes\AH_Douglas_DC3\panel\DC3_xm l i think

Quote Originally Posted by banjoman1960 View Post
    Alan,
    it is in :\Aeroplaneheaven Douglas DC-3\SimObjects\Airplanes\AH_Douglas_DC3\panel\DC3_xm l i think
    Ah, OK - that, I might be able to cope with. I'll have a look.

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    @Wothan -

Am I right that those magneto values in your post are part of the interior.mdl files and therefore can't be edited by non-developer civilians like myself?
    It is build into the interior model file.
    I have been able to "Hack" the model file inorder to keep it from setting the magnetos, and then add the new code into a xml gauge file.

Quote Originally Posted by Wothan View Post
    It is build into the interior model file.
    I have been able to "Hack" the model file inorder to keep it from setting the magnetos, and then add the new code into a xml gauge file.
    Got it. I'll be interested to hear if it fixes the startup issues, or if there are other switch-setting problems getting in the way. Please let us know.

-- Saint-Exupery

In version 1.0 it was very important to do all things in the right order (and open a little throttle), as developer did this startup procedure. If it was done then there was no problem with start up engines and I had 100% of success with starting the engines. I think the same its in 1.1. I dont have this version still (not yet in PCAviator) so cant give any advice even.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I have made the Model "Hack" and moved the magneto code outside the model and into a dedicated .xml gauge file.
    But I have also made substantial changes to the new 2D panel where You can set "Cold & Dark", Avionics switch, "Auto Shutdown Reset" and "Ready to Go", sinc ehte wahere some code errors, as well as some switch setting not being set and thus could cause that the AH DC-3 VC switches where out of sync with P3D's internal switchs - the Magneto switchws where among those.

With my current coding I can start and shutdown the Engines consistent.

Don´t ask me for my files, since it would be legal for me to distribute those - just to be clear.

All in all I´m rather disappointed with the quality of this addon, especially the coding, which contains quite a handfull of errors, or more rightly put, missing code control of various switches, which makes it easy out of sync.

Modelling and texturing is nice, but gives an unproportional hit on performance in the sim. I have seen my GPU pegged at 99%, which not even the PMDG 737NGXu does.
    Often the reason for this is excessive polygon count and also the way socalled materials are used within the model. Both issues causes a high amount of socalled drawcalls.

Wothan-

Would you please share all this code with Baz and AH. I keep waiting to read that the DC-3 has evolved into something wonderful... it deserves to.

Thank-you for your perseverance.. we all love the old girl so.

Best- C

i hope for a big update

Sorry for my English!!!
    sorry to say,for me this Aircraft is not ready for a release,so many errors,to hard on frames(more than PMDG and A2A),Sound is horrible on my sytem,the way to handel the mixture levers(useles with my hardware)no virtual crew.........as a big Fan of the DC3 i am very Disapointed,there is no Joy to use as is..... so i wait for a big update!!!

at monent i use the Freeware Vc and Features it has to offer,it has also smal error´s (Prop-animation)with this AH plane,but engine start work,virtual checklist and vc callout´s work,mixture lever work for simming.....

Regards
    Ralf

A reminder to all those with apparent problems: please contact the Aeroplane Heaven Help Desk, that is the correct and most sensible path to take.
    The developers have far more insight than we do.
    So contact them rather than raise the subject on SOH.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    A reminder to all those with apparent problems: please contact the Aeroplane Heaven Help Desk

Good advice - just for the record, I sent Aeroplane Heaven a message on Sunday night US east coast time about my startup issues. Haven't yet heard back. I'm sure they're looking at all the reports including mine, so I'm happy to wait for their reaction.

A couple of members here had expressed that they were interested in hearing initial reactions, and since I'd bought the aircraft and was working with it, I thought it made sense to share those impressions here. If that was a mistake, please let me know.

I continue to think there's a lot of promise here and I'm looking forward to a near-future point when the product moves past some of these glitches.

-- Saint-Exupery

Alan-

As one of those member requesters I appreciate all the feedback herein. It is my full intention to purchase this aeroplane and so I am waiting until it’s all sorted and blossoms into the creation it can be.

AH seems to have a great track record, and I’m sure we will all be celebrating a great Dakota soon.

Best- C

You know, I've been having a think. We have all been clamoring for a DC-3 and now we finally actually have one. I'm thinking that the best course of action for me, would be to get it, support the developer, and see what it actually looks and flies like. There is no substitute for actual time in type, and it's really not fair to sit on the sidelines, without a ticket to the game... so, here's the DC-3 I have waited for... and I'm off to read the manual and try and avoid any self created pitfalls.

Having waited all this while, I'm not waffling and putting it off any more- I have a DC-3 to fly, and I'm looking forward to it.

C

I was lamenting the dearth of VC shots for potential purchasers, so I had better do something about that-

I was going to wait until I read the manual to try and manually start her... but I couldn't resist... and a couple of minutes later, here we sit in the afternoon sunshine, with wings aglow and Pratts ticking over in the blinding sunlight. Not sure what I stumbled through successfully, but I will have a read tomorrow and see.

And so, off to bed- C

C, you may need to check your settings. Those cockpit shots look awful flat. This is what you should be seeing...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cOCKc.jpg   cOCKB.jpg   cOCKa.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 4