JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D - Page 15
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 578910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: JP (and co)'s Alphasim/Virtavia F-4 Revival for FSX/P3D

Vf-111

Has Anyone done this one? VF-111 (F4B) for the Virtavia F4? These were later converted to F-4N's

Info on the F4-N conversion

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/f4_25.html

Hi Grey Eagle
    I have a copy of a VF-111 repaint. it's not exactly the same but its very good. Drop me a PM with an email address and I will send it.

Regards Paul Day.

Quote Originally Posted by paul day View Post
    Hi Grey Eagle
    I have a copy of a VF-111 repaint. it's not exactly the same but its very good. Drop me a PM with an email address and I will send it.

Regards Paul Day.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    With some lovely bases in Germany released and coming, I'm curious to see if this model has any further development planned, as per Rob's note here ...

As a sidenote:
    If you ever encounter a problem with Chute operation: the Chute will (visibly) be only deployed when:
    - The F4 is on the ground, and
    - The tailhook is raised, and
    - Groundspeed is > 40 Knots

That said (and as a teaser ...LoL ..)
    In the next release of this package, the additional decelleration of the F4 after touchdown (with Chute deployed) will actually be modelled too.
    And a few other features that relate to "drag" ; like "drag" caused by actual weapons/fuelpods loadout when flying ….

Cheers, Rob

Not having heard from @Penz for a long time, I hope he's ok. @Postbaer61, still really enjoying this delightful you, Ulrich, and others have done.

Cheers,

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    With some lovely bases in Germany released and coming, I'm curious to see if this model has any further development planned, as per Rob's note here ...

Not having heard from @Penz for a long time, I hope he's ok. @Postbaer61, still really enjoying this delightful you, Ulrich, and others have done.

Cheers,

dl
    There is a truly beautiful one with lots of updates done by David Robles and the model handles very well.

Only one thing is the 'rudder animation' is exactly opposite to what it should be. Some say and easy fix in the model config. (?) I wish someone would take a look at this - as the model otherwise is just beautiful inside and out.

See it here : https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...Latest-Version
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

The rudder can be fixed with little effort, using the MCX Object Hierarchy Editor.

The way I do it to open the model so it displays in wireframe mode.

I then open the Hierarchy Editor and click on the top of the tree.

Using the arrow key, I just start working my way down the tree, while looking at the model, until I see the part I'm interested in get highlighted in red.

Then I right-click on the top part of the "Animation" section for that part and select "Reverse animation".

This has an immediate effect and you can see the part flip the opposite direction.

Then it's just a matter of exporting the model (with a new name, so you don't overwrite the original).

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    There is a truly beautiful one with lots of updates done by David Robles and the model handles very well.

Only one thing is the 'rudder animation' is exactly opposite to what it should be. Some say and easy fix in the model config. (?) I wish someone would take a look at this - as the model otherwise is just beautiful inside and out.

Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Blog Entries

Hi MZee,

David's project was well before the more exhaustive FSX and P3D versions that Penz, Postbaer61 came along in Jun 2020; there had been (I understand) some updates planned to that one. That's (to my view) the new "gold standard" of rebooted Alphasim conversions, with virtually all the models created, and cool custom stores configurator, etc.

dl

Hi MZee,

David's project was well before the more exhaustive FSX and P3D versions that Penz, Postbaer61 came along in Jun 2020; there had been (I understand) some updates planned to that one. That's (to my view) the new "gold standard" of rebooted Alphasim conversions, with virtually all the models created, and cool custom stores configurator, etc.

dl
    Hi dl,

Sorry to report that a.o. real-life priorities and shifted interrests (like the new MSFS) are reasons that no further update (== Rel. 1.2) should be expected for this FSX/P3D F4 conversion project.

Personally, I regret that very much.
    But I do understand (and respect, with highest regard) the choices made by JP and Ulrich. They are both great guys.
    I had a great time last year working with them, in adding some stuff (in Rel. 1.1) to this wonderfull project.

I have some new updates wrt. Multiplayer visibility and FDE drag (weapons/chute) prepared, but without the required modifications in the visual models to match them (which I can't do myself). these are void .....
    Also, please understand that getting everything right (within the constraints of the original package) and making it compatible in one package (for every F4 variant, and FSX/P3D versions (like PBR models) ) is a hell of a job by itself.

That's the status now; just posting this to avoid any confusion for users like you, as to this project.
    But who knows, in future ....

Best regards,

Rob Barendregt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    Hi dl,

Sorry to report that a.o. real-life priorities and shifted interrests (like the new MSFS) are reasons that no further update (== Rel. 1.2) should be expected for this FSX/P3D F4 conversion project.

Personally, I regret that very much.
    But I do understand (and respect, with highest regard) the choices made by JP and Ulrich. They are both great guys.
    I had a great time last year working with them, in adding some stuff (in Rel. 1.1) to this wonderfull project.

I have some new updates wrt. Multiplayer visibility and FDE drag (weapons/chute) prepared, but without the required modifications in the visual models to match them (which I can't do myself). these are void .....
    Also, please understand that getting everything right (within the constraints of the original package) and making it compatible in one package (for every F4 variant, and FSX/P3D versions (like PBR models) ) is a hell of a job by itself.

That's the status now; just posting this to avoid any confusion for users like you, as to this project.
    But who knows, in future ....

Best regards,

Rob Barendregt
    No worries Rob. It's already a superb model, and your work on this (and other projects like the Harrier gauge) are gifts that already keep giving.

Cheers,

dl

No worries Rob. It's already a superb model, and your work on this (and other projects like the Harrier gauge) are gifts that already keep giving.

Cheers,

dl
    Hi dl,

I'm not worried at all ...LoL
    I do realise it's allready great as-is now. Mostly thanks to JP, and Ulrich too.
    It's just, that from my point-of-view, I'm trying to get the most out of such projects in the details that I'm personally interrested in.
    Just because it's possible to make ...
    And to the extend, that most users probably even don't realise those enhanced details .....

My biggest pride-and-joy, and OffTopic, being everything I did in the VTOL area.
    Again, the challenge of creating something because it's possible to make (within the absolute limitations of the sim).
    With my (personal) biggest pride-and-joy being the freeware MV22B Osprey I did with Maryadi ...

Cheers, Rob

Hi Tom,

I have that problem (not being able to quote) sometimes too; not clue why.
    But now it works.

The problem with the core-code of FSX-SP2 is, that it doesn't implement a multistage AB (the variables and auto-AB switching (based on Throttle) as defined in the aircraft.cfg.
    Meaning that the AB visual effects won't work.

But since the visual AB effects (for FSX-Accel) are now switched in a gauge, I could make a "special" of this gauge that works with FSX-SP2 (so a one-stage AB).
    But it won;t be part of the package; just as a one-off for people that don't have FSX-Accel ("gold" )

Rob
    Anyone know if this AB effect gauge that works in FSX-SP2 (one stage AB) exists anywhere ?
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

Anyone know if this AB effect gauge that works in FSX-SP2 (one stage AB) exists anywhere ?
    Yes, on my flightsim PC.
    Assuming you are using JP's F-4 V1.1 (the F-4 package which this Thread is about).

In FSX-SP2, that gauge-version controls a 3-stage visual afterburner effect, throttle-controlled at thresholds >85, >90 and >95 %.

Rob

Yes, on my flightsim PC.
    Assuming you are using JP's F-4 V1.1 (the F-4 package which this Thread is about).

In FSX-SP2, that gauge-version controls a 3-stage visual afterburner effect, throttle-controlled at thresholds >85, >90 and >95 %.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes I have just downloaded V1.1 by Penz from June 1st, 2020 for FSX/P3D. (You convinced me - thank-you). I have not installed it yet, but know the AB won't work in my setup w/o Acceleration.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ons)-V-1-1-zip

You wouldn't care to share, would you, ........ pleeease ?
    Cheers, MZee ...

Hi Rob,

Yes I have just downloaded V1.1 by Penz from June 1st, 2020 for FSX/P3D. (You convinced me - thank-you). I have not installed it yet, but know the AB won't work in my setup w/o Acceleration.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ons)-V-1-1-zip

You wouldn't care to share, would you, ........ pleeease ?
    I'm not sure if there are any other limitations in using this V1.1 on FSX-SP2, but here you go ...

In your \Virtavia_F-4_Phantom\ gauges folder, just replace the file smoke.xml with the one from the attached zip file.
    That's all.....
    Should work, but not tested (I don't have FSX-SP2 installed anymore).

Rob

Smoke.zip

I'm not sure if there are any other limitations in using this V1.1 on FSX-SP2, but here you go ...

In your \Virtavia_F-4_Phantom\ gauges folder, just replace the file smoke.xml with the one from the attached zip file.
    That's all.....

Rob

Smoke.zip
    Thanks, Rob. I just downloaded it.

I have the FSXBA Hornet working in my sim, and along with some added files (like HornetFCS.dll) seems to work very well - effects and all. I guess I'm just too lazy to re-install my entire sim as the Acceleration version, for the sake of a couple of AC. Hopefully this will give a similar result. I usually do not fly much military AC, but hey ......... every once in a while 'you feel the need for speed', lol ! ... A nice change from the everyday, I say.

Cheers, MZee ...

That's all.....

Rob

Smoke.zip
    Thanks, Rob. The xml works like a charm.

Cheers, MZee ...

One question remains ........ what file and/or effect am I missing because for some reason the three VC mirrors show no texture ? I am pretty sure I installed all files/folders correctly into my FSX.

Thanks,
    MZ....
    Cheers, MZee ...

Not sure if those mirrors are textured.
    Shows up in my FSX-Accel exactly the same.

Rob

Anyone find the FDE for this lastest (and perhaps previous) versions a bit off the mark? Even with full tanks it accelerates what seems way too quickly and even in climb will reach 600 knts without breathing hard. Too stay within the legal 250 knts < 10,000 ft you need to pull WAY back on the throttle almost before the gear is up. Never flew a real F-4 LOL so am gauging by other sim fighter jets real pilots have said aren't too far off the real deal.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Not sure if those mirrors are textured.
    Shows up in my FSX-Accel exactly the same.

Rob
    Mirrors should look something like this, I think : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/119094-JP-(and-co)-s-Alphasim-Virtavia-F-4-Revival-for-FSX-P3D?p=1221027&viewfull=1#post1221027

I think this is an older VC with the mirror textures : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/56553-Virtavia-F-4-Phantom-Package-2-Complete-FSX-Panel

Ulrich states here that the 'mirrors are active' (as below) : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1215011

Last edited by MZee1960; March 15th, 2021 at 15:04.
    Cheers, MZee ...

Another possiblility ... anyone know if David's VC (with mirror textures) would work with this Phantom by Penz and company somehow ?

Last edited by MZee1960; March 15th, 2021 at 15:06.
    Cheers, MZee ...

A tremendous amount of work went into this project as evidenced by other threads below :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...AS-F-4-Phantom

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-versions)-zip

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-versions)-zip

Sometimes this makes things more difficult when looking for answers to specific questions.
    Cheers, MZee ...

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Anyone find the FDE for this lastest (and perhaps previous) versions a bit off the mark? Even with full tanks it accelerates what seems way too quickly and even in climb will reach 600 knts without breathing hard. Too stay within the legal 250 knts < 10,000 ft you need to pull WAY back on the throttle almost before the gear is up. Never flew a real F-4 LOL so am gauging by other sim fighter jets real pilots have said aren't too far off the real deal.
    Hi @expat,

[TurbineEngineData]
    fuel_flow_gain=0.002
    inlet_area=7.250 // was 6.250
    rated_N2_rpm=29920.000
    static_thrust=11875.000
    afterburner_available=1
    reverser_available=1.000

It seems when you increase the inlet area, the speed will drop ....... so it's to experiment until you are satisfied.

Also, can try lowering thrust scalar value a bit,

[jet_engine]
    thrust_scalar=0.950 // was 1.000
    Cheers, MZee ...

Loadout Manager, updated GPS, simple autopilot and helmet-mounted HUD installed with merged VC.

Thank-you, @expat, for all your guidance.
    Cheers, MZee ...

Happy to be of assistance!

I see you have that fancy GPS. I was using it when experimenting recently with the AI Gulfstream 650. That gauge is included in a good looking freeware 787 VC I merged with the G650. However, I gave up because I am convinced that GPS was causing frequent lock ups, CTD's and blue screens. Not one CTD since I stopped using it. The manual for the 787 does say it can cause a "system failure" if using the "direct to" nav function, which I use all the time. Not sure why it has that bug and why it cannot be sorted. On my to do list to revisit that 787 VC using just the default GPS to see if it still CTD's.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Members who have read this thread: 13