Old project coming to life
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old project coming to life

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Old project coming to life

This one has been sitting around for a while. All mine so it is not perfect a few artist whims here and there. Tommy would like this bird a gazzillon polys just for the gear alone! Pit not finished yet but nearly as large in polys as the main model model (well almost-Steve always said more detail.....) Once I get the pit a little further along I will share.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stirly.jpg  

Yay! Always had a soft spot for the oft-forgotten first British 4-engine heavy and its stilt-like undercart. Thank you, Ted!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

So you're redoing the whole Stirling; not just the pit and turrets?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020
    Thanks a bunch! We've lived with a beta version for so long I'd forgotten. The Stirling is to the Lancaster what the Liberator was to the Flying Fortress - somewhat overlooked. (IMHO and don't quote me!).

Hmmmm......I think you improved the look of the fuselage since I last saw it. Excellent work.

Well

Steve you did point out that the nose was a bit off so I redid the nose to better align with the turret and add some more curve. Found much better line drawings.... Mongoose, I saw this video of the Stirling landing gear once and said hmm I can do that so once I started it was well how about a new model. The turrets are all from previous models that I have tweaked some. The pit is a combo of new seats by Steve, pieces of the sunderland and a bunch and new stuff. She was a good plane, but could not carry the newer and larger bombs and since the RAF were short sighted and clipped the wings by 10 feet of so she could never really get above 20k with a load.

Ted

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I remember reading the Lancaster crews (and probably those of the Halifaxes, as well) were cheered somewhat by the prospect of Stirlings in the bomber stream with them whenever they flew together. The reason given was that due to its feeble ceiling compared to the others, the Stirling would most likely encounter the flak and night fighters first and would therefore take some of the heat off the others. Cold-hearted to the uninitiated but to those in the know quite understandable.

Does anyone know the reason for the wings being clipped?

The reason for clipping wingspan to 100ft is disputed, but it’s alleged to be an Air Ministry requirement. Shorts originally had a 112ft wingspan for the design.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    I remember reading the Lancaster crews (and probably those of the Halifaxes, as well) were cheered somewhat by the prospect of Stirlings in the bomber stream with them whenever they flew together. The reason given was that due to its feeble ceiling compared to the others, the Stirling would most likely encounter the flak and night fighters first and would therefore take some of the heat off the others. Cold-hearted to the uninitiated but to those in the know quite understandable.

Does anyone know the reason for the wings being clipped?

So that it would fit in the standard hanger of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    .... Mongoose, I saw this video of the Stirling landing gear once and said hmm I can do that so once I started it was well how about a new model. The turrets are all from previous models that I have tweaked some. The pit is a combo of new seats by Steve, pieces of the sunderland and a bunch and new stuff. She was a good plane, but could not carry the newer and larger bombs and since the RAF were short sighted and clipped the wings by 10 feet of so she could never really get above 20k with a load.

Ted
    Judging from your remarks about polys you might be regretting that!

we have

the AI's from the beta version to fly with....

Whatever became of the Manchester IA? It looked spectacular!

manchester

it is somewhere in Australia getting a few finishing touches...not being funny Rob is doing some work on the packages.

getting there

Pit is crazy too - the short brothers were nuts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pitty.jpg  

Keep going Ted. The Stirling, together with your Halis and Lancs, will complete Bomber Harris's 4 engine bombers.

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    Pit is crazy too - the short brothers were nuts!
    What do you mean?
    Looks like you did a great job!

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

just about finished inside

Made the labels and with a few touches here and there will be ready for a bit of color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stri_pit.jpg  

John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Hi Ted,

That is looking like a fine machine and matched with John's textures looks the business. I have a question, what kind of poly count is the external model?

Dave.

That is a monster of an aircraft - looking good!

nice! cowl flaps are the worst , and its got a lot of em

Beautiful job gents, looking superb.

Nice Steve/John, the cowl flaps as your tribute to the C19 support workers....ha ha

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbolt View Post
    nice! ... and its got a lot of em
    Haha, when I saw all those colours I thought exactly the same; 'Wow, that's a serious number of cowl flaps!' But fortunately they're not the hardest to animate.

Personally I like the lines of the Lancaster more but the model is very good!! Wat are the curvy things on the wing, near the ailerons?

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

John always makes then look better than they are....

The curvy things are connected to the ailerons - they actually moved the control surfaces. Trying to get then properly animated. Should be able to since the P61 had those funky spoilers instead of ailerons. Poly count, hmm I will look later but the assembled M3D size is 6880 kbs, usually my models with LODs approach this, so it is the most poly heavy model I have made. With LODs it will be well of 10k. For reference the He177 I did is 8400 kbs with LODs. The pit is about 92000 polys so far, again the most I have done. The cowl flaps - good thing that they all are the same so make a set for one engine and clone/rename. Mapping well I suck at it so never got the hang of Lithunwrap, but usually it comes out ok.

The real pleasure of the model is the landing gear. I have no idea how they thought to design it....

Oh, BTW received the manchesters so now it is making a last few changes adjustments. Lost all the final models in a software issue, but found nearly completed ones and a 3ds version that I was able to salvage and make work. So a bit a of set back hopefully soon.

I have a Staaken R.VI that I might finish up as a change of pace - anyone know what that is?

Ta Ta

This is going to be a great addition and sorely needed!

Members who have read this thread: 0