Unusual request about native P3D airline traffic

Thread: Unusual request about native P3D airline traffic

Unusual request about native P3D airline traffic

Also posted this on the P3D v4 forum.

I want to use the CalClassic airline traffic and not the P3D v4 native airline traffic...problem is both use the traffic slider for control of traffic density. So if I move the slider to "0" I also loose the CalClassic airline traffic. I also don't want to disable the "trafficAircraft.bgl" file as I use the native P3D v4 GA traffic.

Anyone have a solution? Or does anyone know of a good GA traffic add-on...I have Orbx GA traffic, which is great, but only really useful in the Western Regions.

Thanks for any help,
    Garry

Blog Entries
    Keep the sliders as they are and delete the modern airliners from your sim objects (suggest you copy to another location in case you want them back).

Standard procedure in my install, any stock aircraft I do not want are just moved to a backup folder on an external drive.
    Doubt I'd do the same with the ORBX files.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Icon26 Thanks you...thank you...thank you

Thank you...thank you...thank you. Did not know I could do that. I kept the Lear and the DH Dash 8...don't mind seeing those.

Works like a charm.

Garry

As others have said, you can delete the modern aircraft, or you can move them to a "holding folder" (something I do).
    You can also use AIFP to edit the flight plans so that they use a substitute aircraft of your choice.

In some cases you might just want to modify an airplane (i.e. swap in a different model) that is used in the traffic files so that you don't have to edit the traffic files at all. You'll want to make sure that whatever you swap in has enough range to complete the flight plans though.... so I wouldn't swap in a Piper Cub in for a Bombardier CRJ 700.

I recently moved the "Commercial_Airliner" from my Airplanes folder to a HOLD folder. I then created a new "Commercial_Airliner" that uses a Boeing 707-100 model and edited the aircraft.cfg so that it had the original "Commercial Airliner" aircraft.cfg titles. It works just fine and now, instead of the modern tube liners, I get to see 707 Freedom birds flying in an out of Da Nang and Tan Son Nhut instead.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    As others have said, you can delete the modern aircraft, or you can move them to a "holding folder" (something I do).
    You can also use AIFP to edit the flight plans so that they use a substitute aircraft of your choice.

In some cases you might just want to modify an airplane (i.e. swap in a different model) that is used in the traffic files so that you don't have to edit the traffic files at all. You'll want to make sure that whatever you swap in has enough range to complete the flight plans though.... so I wouldn't swap in a Piper Cub in for a Bombardier CRJ 700.

I recently moved the "Commercial_Airliner" from my Airplanes folder to a HOLD folder. I then created a new "Commercial_Airliner" that uses a Boeing 707-100 model and edited the aircraft.cfg so that it had the original "Commercial Airliner" aircraft.cfg titles. It works just fine and now, instead of the modern tube liners, I get to see 707 Freedom birds flying in an out of Da Nang and Tan Son Nhut instead.
    Another thing to consider is doing this for your flyable aircraft too. So not only have I removed all my unwanted AI to another backed up folder called “Inactive AI”, but I keep my active aircraft folder uncrowded too. Only planes I’m actively flying are loaded. All others are in a sister folder called “Inactive Hangar”. It in turn is subdivided into folders by genre / nationality, so if all of a sudden I feel the urge to fly a particular plane, I know just from where to retrieve it. It’ll have already been installed, so the gauge, effects, etc are already back at the sim folders waiting to be used if needed.

I do this because I find my sim loads faster, and I don’t like the P3D aircraft select utility as much as I did the FSX one (more scrolling) so I find I don’t need anymore that a half dozen plane types. I also delete out repaints/schemes I’ll never use. Or if I might, I’ll delete the number off the aircraft.cfg fltsim entry and add it back later if I want it it. But if it’s not a scheme I’ll ever fly, I delete the texture folder and the associated fltsim entry in the aircraft.cfg altogether.

Half a dozen planes each with only a few preferred paints saves me time, headache, organizing my hangar. As with most things, I find the 80/20 rule applies in sim flying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post

This.

Another thing to consider is doing this for your flyable aircraft too. So not only have I removed all my unwanted AI to another backed up folder called “Inactive AI”, but I keep my active aircraft folder uncrowded too. Only planes I’m actively flying are loaded. All others are in a sister folder called “Inactive Hangar”. It in turn is subdivided into folders by genre / nationality, so if all of a sudden I feel the urge to fly a particular plane, I know just from where to retrieve it. It’ll have already been installed, so the gauge, effects, etc are already back at the sim folders waiting to be used if needed.

I do this because I find my sim loads faster, and I don’t like the P3D aircraft select utility as much as I did the FSX one (more scrolling) so I find I don’t need anymore that a half dozen plane types. I also delete out repaints/schemes I’ll never use. Or if I might, I’ll delete the number off the aircraft.cfg fltsim entry and add it back later if I want it it. But if it’s not a scheme I’ll ever fly, I delete the texture folder and the associated fltsim entry in the aircraft.cfg altogether.

Half a dozen planes each with only a few preferred paints saves me time, headache, organizing my hangar. As with most things, I find the 80/20 rule applies in sim flying.

Yes, I did the same thing with FSX and it made things much easier.
    I have been lazy with P3D and haven't done it yet...since right now I'm more focused on getting my scenery and AI converted for P3D....but it's starting to get out of hand.

Generally, I only fly Vietnam War era airplanes and usually fly, with a few exceptions, within Southeast Asia.....so I still have a lot to convert.
    Current System Specs :

This is great stuff guys. I'll give it a try and get more of my CalClassic aircraft flying more routes.

Thanks,

Garry

I was going to ask the same thing. So deleting the commercial jets will get rid of Orbit, World Travel and so on without removing anything vital, but leave the GA AI active in the original P3D traffic bgl?
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    I was going to ask the same thing. So deleting the commercial jets will get rid of Orbit, World Travel and so on without removing anything vital, but leave the GA AI active in the original P3D traffic bgl?
    Yes. That was what the OP was looking to do. Worked in FSX too.

Works exactly as predicted. Now I have lots of CalClassic 1960's airliners flying around with all the GA flights intact.

There are actually 3 files you need to pull out if you want all P3D airliners out..."Commercial Airliner", "Bombardier CRJ 700" & DH_Dash8 100"...at least that's all I've found so far. If anyone has a more complete list would appreciate letting us know. Thanks.

Garry

Thank you. That's just what I wanted to know.

David
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Yes, doing it this way will remove the modern large transports from being available to the traffic file. Other planes used in the traffic file will still fly around though.
    If you want to track down the planes that the traffic file uses, opening it in AIFP is an easy way to look at it.
    To completely remove all stock P3D traffic, the easiest way would be to just spike the traffic file so that it can't open, by renaming the file extension. I usually just add .OLD to it.
    The file is located in Prepar3d\Scenery\world\scenery

Quote Originally Posted by triflyman View Post
    Works exactly as predicted. Now I have lots of CalClassic 1960's airliners flying around with all the GA flights intact.

There are actually 3 files you need to pull out if you want all P3D airliners out..."Commercial Airliner", "Bombardier CRJ 700" & DH_Dash8 100"...at least that's all I've found so far. If anyone has a more complete list would appreciate letting us know. Thanks.

Garry
    Current System Specs :

Members who have read this thread: 0