Flight Replicas B-24 preview - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flight Replicas B-24 preview

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    The aircraft was assigned to the 397th Bomb Squadron, 6th Bomb Group, based in the Panama Canal Zone, and was operated on anti-submarine patrol from Managau to Salinas, Ecuador and all over the Caribbean.
    http://www.b24bestweb.com/nightmission-v2-2.htm

The original nose art from the starboard side still survives today, having been saved by a scrapyard foreman (along with over 30 other sections of nose art that were cut off of B-24's, B-17's and PB4Y's) prior to the aircraft being scrapped in the late 40's. These are now in the care of the Commemorative Air Force Museum, and more recently were displayed at the EAA Museum at Oshkosh. Not a repro, it's the real thing: https://flickr.com/photos/zaruka/286...7671736198166/
    indeed, and the noseart I used was a photograph of that panel, you can't beat the real thing.
    But I need to revisit that paint, I found out that the white also covered part of the top of the wings..
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    YES!! I LIKE IT!! I hope the Liberator goes similar to their Me-262 or DC-4/Carvair and they continue the series with a PB4Y-2.
    Really nice 'pre-paints.' Wow. This is the first I see of some of them.

Yes, the PB4Y-2 is on the books - but I believe there'll be one other aircraft before that.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    The aircraft was assigned to the 397th Bomb Squadron, 6th Bomb Group, based in the Panama Canal Zone, and was operated on anti-submarine patrol from Managau to Salinas, Ecuador and all over the Caribbean.
    http://www.b24bestweb.com/nightmission-v2-2.htm

The original nose art from the starboard side still survives today, having been saved by a scrapyard foreman (along with over 30 other sections of nose art that were cut off of B-24's, B-17's and PB4Y's) prior to the aircraft being scrapped in the late 40's. These are now in the care of the Commemorative Air Force Museum, and more recently were displayed at the EAA Museum at Oshkosh. Not a repro, it's the real thing: https://flickr.com/photos/zaruka/286...7671736198166/
    Thanks, as I hadn't seen that paint scheme on a B-24 before. I always forget about the Panama Canal Zone during WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    ...but I believe there'll be one other aircraft before that.

Mike
    I’ll hope it’s an SP-2H Neptune...but I know that would be a stretch! Virtavia’s model is long in the tooth and the flight dynamics are....less than optimum.

Bottom line is that I’ll pretty much buy anything you do, Mike. The C-54/DC-4 package is particularly BRILLIANT...

Kent

Too Bad

Its too bad that a lot more of it wasn't saved. Its so difficult to paint nose art from b/w blurry photos when that is all that's left of our history of these gallatn crews and their aircraft. We ARE fortunate to have as much as we have thanks to men like them who cared enough to at least preserve those for following generations.

I'll second that! I really enjoy the difficulty level of operating the Jumos on the 262. To be able to get it started, make a trip and then land without a flameout..... I feel like I accomplished something! Now it's no sweat to fly, just be a couple steps ahead of the plane so you can use slow throttle inputs! (Now I know why they flew long straight finals!) Now I want to see FHC's Stormbird in the air! (The Stuka too!)

I'll second that ColoKent! I really enjoy the difficulty level of operating the Jumos on the 262. To be able to get it started, make a trip and then land without a flameout..... I feel like I accomplished something! Now it's no sweat to fly, just be a couple steps ahead of the plane so you can use slow throttle inputs! (Now I know why they flew long straight finals!) Now I want to see FHC's Stormbird in the air! (The Stuka too!)

I've got a few 566th BS, 389th BG paint schemes nearly done, including "Pugnacious Princess Pat" (close to my heart) and "Delectable Dorris". I also hope to do the Collings B-24 in at least a couple of different schemes - both as I remember it when I was a young kid growing up as "The All American"/"Schlitz Golden Girl", and now as "Witchcraft" (my absolute favorite of the schemes it has worn is "The Dragon and His Tail", but I don't know if I'd ever be able to fully invest the time to recreate the artwork for that one).

Also, if no one else does them, I'm going to have to do a few of the Liberators that Jimmy Stewart flew on, as Squadron Commander of the 703rd BS, 445th BG (12 missions) and as Observations Officer of the 453rd BG (at least 8 missions). Those that are documented that Stewart flew missions on are:

B-24H "Lady Shamrock" (42-52348) - 703rd BS, 445th BG (4 of his missions)
    B-24H "Nine Yanks and a Jerk" (41-29118) - 703rd BS, 445th BG (2 for his missions)
    B-24H "Tenovus" (41-29132) - 703rd BS, 445th BG (2 of his missions, and the aircraft he flew on when taking the Southern Route to England from the US)
    B-24H "Gremlin's Roost" (42-7512) - 703rd BS, 445th BG (1 of his missions (his first))
    B-24H "Dixie Flyer" (42-95247) - 703rd BS, 445th BG (1 of his missions)
    B-24H "Heavenly Body" (41-29210) - 733rd BS, 453rd BG (at least 1 or more of his missions)

Other than the five 703rd BS B-24's listed above, the other 2 missions he flew as Commander of the 703rd were on wing lead Pathfinder B-24's (Mickey radar/H2X equipped), identities of which I'm not aware of.

Unfortunately, other than "Heavenly Body", I'm not aware of any other B-24's being confirmed that Stewart flew missions on as the 453rd BG's Observations Officer, and I've read three different books detailing his service time in WWII. The 453rd BG B-24H "Male Call" is often credited as one that Jimmy Stewart flew missions on, and which may have been the case on a mission or two, but I've never seen documentation/proof of that. Corgi, the diecast model maker, has really gone out there and claimed it has being 'his' B-24, but Stewart never had an assigned B-24 or an assigned crew, due to him being one of the superior officers controlling everything. The easy connection to the B-24 "Male Call" is that there were a series of publicity photos taken of him talking to its crew in front of the aircraft (and it's a fantastic paint scheme).

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Im slowly getting there, the hand is cramping up doing the dots

just the tail and bomb bay doors to finish

Wow that is making my hand cramp just looking at it! Superb work!

Most People Forget

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Thanks, as I hadn't seen that paint scheme on a B-24 before. I always forget about the Panama Canal Zone during WW2.
    Most people forget a lot of the theaters that our men and women served in. My dad served on U-boat patrol in the Panama Canal Zone (North American Campaign Medal); others in the Aleutians or Greenland or Iceland or Italy where our 461st BG(V) is honoring those veterans. The Mighty Eighth and Europe is usually the most famous of war zones and every bit of honor goes to all of them but to all the other WWII vet's as well."All gave some and some gave ALL". A big salute to all the members of the greatest generation. My grandparents best friends husband served in both WWI (lied about his age) and then was drafted in WWII and wounded at Normandy. He had shrapnel in his leg that they couldn't remove so he couldn't drive. Either my grandfather or my dad and I would pick him and his wife up for all the family gatherings and then take them home. He never talked about it. My grandfather told me when I asked one time. I don't know what the PBY Catalinas looked like that my dad operated with because he said that they couldn't take any pictures. The only pictures he had are of Panama, Baranquilla Colombia and the Galapagos Islands he took on liberty.

Great Work

Hey Matt,

You just continue to create great repaints. I can't wait until Mike releases the B24 package and everyone can share these on the aircraft and fly them. Ed and i are looking for a lot of new pilots when that happens but whether they join us or just buy it for their own hangers, anyone who loves the B24 needs to support Mike's efforts and those of all the repainters here who gave tirelessly of their time and endured all the "cramps" of long hours with the mouse in Photoshop or whatever you use. Hats off to mike_cyul and all the repainters from one of you.

Outstanding formation ship repaints, Matt!
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post

anyway done
    Throwing some assembly ships into the mix! Awesome!

Great! A 90th BG bird!(Still hoping for Moby Dick version 1 to make the cut though!)

Mike is setting up a page on his site where all these paints will be available for download once he has finished with testing and doing the package

461st Bomb Group Repaints

Mike is setting up a page on his site where all these paints will be available for download once he has finished with testing and doing the package
    Mike asked me to include my 461st/764th repaints as well which I am happy to do and be in such company as Jankees, Jeansy and others. Thanks guys for raising the bar and making me keep trying to do better.

How'd he do that?

Hey Jeansy,

How did you get the group together or is it Photoshop magic?

Members who have read this thread: 4