Flight Replicas B-24 preview - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flight Replicas B-24 preview

Cant wait, looks fantastic, simply!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Chippiedall 461st BG 764th BS #13

Wow, all these repaints are just tremendous! Here is another I have added to the 764th Bomb Squadron.

Thank you goes to JanKees who helped me figure out how to upload to Flickr and post from there to here. Chippiedall flew the first 37 missions with the 461st and was downed on her 44th mission. This is the last entry in the MICR of 11 June 1944 when #13 when down. "Eleven parachutes were seen to open... the last line in the report is a happy note: All crewmembers returned to the U.S.

Another Day In The Paint Shed

Little by little I am recreating the 764th bomb Squadron repaints that I had on the Virtavia B24J onto the Flight Replicas B24J I was privileged to beta test for Mike. Now I am having some repainting fun with it. Here is #3 Stinky 41-29333 from the Consolidated Factory. I am including the photo of the real aircraft. I chose to take out the wear and some scratches in the paintkit and to change out the national insignia to a brighter white like the photo shows. When I first did the reprint I thought that the tail was white not red but JanKees pointed out to me on a P-51 Mustang photo of a reprint I was doing of the Checkertail group, that film in the sunlight at this time sometimes showed red as white not dark like b/w film would now. Very deceiving if you don't know what the colors of the markings SHOULD be.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stinky close.jpg   Stinky3-exlg.jpg   Stinky Full right side.jpg  
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; March 30th, 2020 at 14:53.

Two paints for the 307th BG, a no frills version for the 371st BS:
    jk6038

jk6041

and one with noseart for the 372nd:
    jk6044

jk6045

jk6055
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Looking very good! I must confess this package is among the models I'm most eagerly awaiting!
    Any RAF Coastal Command Paints?

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

SOH-CM-2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Two paints for the 307th BG, a no frills version for the 371st BS and one with noseart for the 372nd:

Thank you jankees they look fabulous. Can't wait for the release.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Any RAF Coastal Command Paints?
    There's even a dedicated RAF Coastal Command model:

With a dedicated RAF cockpit:

Looking sharp in the coastal Command scheme. I assume that is a GR.VI?

Speaking of interesting coastal command Liberator, I guess a Liberator III/GR.V with the nose stub wings for rockets and BP tail turret is to streach it to far..?

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

work in progress:
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

The ol' Bird from the 764th Bomb Sqn

Here is the repaint I just finished from the noseart on the 461st Bomb Group (H) website. It is one of the original aircraft that were ferried to Torretta to join the 15th AF in Italy in 1944. I corrected all of the horizontal stabs in my repaints from all red to this right red-left red bar. I have conflicting information of the orientation of the bar either vertical like this or horizontal and I have posed a question to our 461st historian. In the meantime here it is flying over 1944 Cerignola, Italy created in FSX@War 461st Campaign by Ed Akridge. This is Ed's "ride":

Orientation of the bar

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Here is the repaint I just finished from the noseart on the 461st Bomb Group (H) website. It is one of the original aircraft that were ferried to Torretta to join the 15th AF in Italy in 1944. I corrected all of the horizontal stabs in my repaints from all red to this right red-left red bar. I have conflicting information of the orientation of the bar either vertical like this or horizontal and I have posed a question to our 461st historian. In the meantime here it is flying over 1944 Cerignola, Italy created in FSX@War 461st Campaign by Ed Akridge. This is Ed's "ride":

This is the correct painting of the horizontal stab for the 461st through August,1944. The exact date when they switched to full red for the 49th Bomb Wing it seems is lost in history. From studying a lot of photos of this group and the other groups in the wing for hours yesterday it seems that by 1945 the stabs were all red. The 461st historian doesn't know when either and sadly the guys who would now are now gone.

Nice Job

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    You did a beautiful job on the noseart; my toughest challenge. Good-o mate!

461st BG 764th BS #9 Replacement

Here is a repaint of the aircraft that Col. Frederick Glantzberg the commanding officer flew off in when his tour of duty was over at the end of 1944 and he was relieved to go back to the states. I was able to find two original photos, one of a full left side view on the ground. In the 461st BG website 764th noseart I was able to get a closeup of "Iggy" with Col Glantzberg waving goodbye. I am a retired professional ship modeler and as such I like to have as many authentic details in a "model" which is what I consider my repaints to be, models of the real aircrafts. So...each of the aircraft's data plates on the left side have the correct information. I took of closeup of Iggy and if you look you can see that it is: B24J-5-FO denoting that it was manufactured by Ford under license from Consolidated. As a print production manager/estimator by trade for 40 years (along with shipmodeling) I spent countless hours matching type faces to a customer's project. I was blessed last night when I went on "safari" to find IGGY to match the photo and IMHO its awful close. We used to say "close enough for government work" LOL! So without further ado here are my efforts in tribute to Col. Frederick Glantzberg and the 461st Bomb Group Heavy. I also want to say a big thanks to mike_cyul for his paintkits that are so "painter-friendly" and make it a joy rather than a chore to repaint this beautiful aircraft.

Iggy looks black in this photo I know, but in the full side view it looks like the tail color but little lighter (75 year old b/w photos) so I painted it a brighter red. Again sadly, Col. Glantzberg and so many others are no longer with us to ask if its correct or not. I hope he approves.

In the inset in the lower right corner you can see the way that the horizontal stabilizer was painted in all red when USAAF issued the new directive to the 461st Bomb Group and other 15th Air Force Groups. I made a mention of this above. The tail is also correctly painted and the serial number in the correct location according to the full side view original photo I was fortunate to find though many aircraft had a rectangle with the serial number in it in the solid red. Tails were not identical on the aircraft of any groups if you check available photos, the directives being in text and interpreted by the aircraft painters in the field it seems. This is painted correctly that the upper half of the rudder is solid red on the outside surfaces and the lower quadrant has a horizontal rectangle for the 461st BG(H). The 451st BG(H) had a red circle and the 484th BG(H) had two opposing horizontal triangles they called "the bowtie". These were the three BG's of the 49th Bomb Wing.

Jeansy, your D model look just great, a favor, in your time could you paint Col. John Kane's B-24D Hail Columbia. Whenever a big thanks.

jim

Any chance you feel like doing Collings' Foundation Witchcraft?

I will be owning this plane...
    Beautiful

Witchcraft? we'll see, I'm too busy with other schemes at the moment, like this one:

I don't know, but modern warbirds have never had much of an attraction to me, I'm more interested in finding out about the more anonymous, unknown paintschemes. But the paintkit is very úser friendly, I'm sure that if I don't do it, someone else will

Hi Jankees,

What's the back story to that B-24? It's an interesting paint scheme, was it used over the Atlantic?

Thanks,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    work in progress:
    YES!! I LIKE IT!! I hope the Liberator goes similar to their Me-262 or DC-4/Carvair and they continue the series with a PB4Y-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Hi Jankees,

What's the back story to that B-24? It's an interesting paint scheme, was it used over the Atlantic?

Thanks,
    Ken

The aircraft was assigned to the 397th Bomb Squadron, 6th Bomb Group, based in the Panama Canal Zone, and was operated on anti-submarine patrol from Managau to Salinas, Ecuador and all over the Caribbean.
    http://www.b24bestweb.com/nightmission-v2-2.htm

The original nose art from the starboard side still survives today, having been saved by a scrapyard foreman (along with over 30 other sections of nose art that were cut off of B-24's, B-17's and PB4Y's) prior to the aircraft being scrapped in the late 40's. These are now in the care of the Commemorative Air Force Museum, and more recently were displayed at the EAA Museum at Oshkosh. Not a repro, it's the real thing: https://flickr.com/photos/zaruka/286...7671736198166/

Members who have read this thread: 4