USCG V188 - Milton's Lodestar

Thread: USCG V188 - Milton's Lodestar

USCG V188 - Milton's Lodestar

Shortly after posting screenshots a few days ago, I found a color photo of V188 - I had to do an almost complete repaint.

Notes from A History of U.S. Coast Guard Aviation, by Arthur Pearcy

From 1936 to 1941 all USCG aircraft were an overall aluminum color with the top of the wing a chrome yellow along with the upper part of the tail surfaces. . . . the top 1/3 of the rudder was painted insignia blue, the bottom 2/3 being divided into five equal vertical stripes . . . . . the aircraft's model designation was placed in white on the blue section of the rudder . . . . the USCG emblem was placed on the forward part of the hull or fuselage . . . .

This Lodestar, V188, was delivered to the Coast Guard on 14 May 1940, the first of five purchased. It was used as an executive transport for the Commandant and the Secretary of the Treasury.

"On 26 December 1941, the Secretary of the Treasury, Henry Morganthau awarded Distinguished Flying Crosses to an officer and three enlisted men of the Coast Guard.
    The Secretary stated:

On the late afternoon of 3 October 1941, Lt. Sinton was pilot of Coast Guard Lockheed R50-1 V188 with the Secretary of the Treasury on board, and while executing an instrument let-down to break through the heavy overcast preparatory to landing at New Hackensack, New Jersey, the aircraft crashed through treetops and was severely damaged. An imminent crash landing seemed certain, but the pilot and crew kept the damaged plane in the air, and after a flight of almost two hours in low visibility and darkness arrived over Philadelphia where clear weather prevailed. Because of the condition of the airplane, a dangerous landing at high speed was necessary, and it was successfully accomplished without injury to persons on board or further damage to the airplane. The courage of . . . . . . .

This was just one of the many citations for the Coast Guard and it's aviators."

After the war it was withdrawn from service, sold and registered in South Africa as ZS-BAJ in 1946. It was again sold and registered in the United States as N54549 on 13 March 1951. After almost seventy-three years, it was deregistered on 30 January 2013.

Textures have been uploaded.

Joe
    Last edited by jmbiii; March 24th, 2020 at 20:30.

Beautiful! Will be downloading this tonight if It's up.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Hi Joe
    I've just converted the textures for FS9, would I be correct in thinking that in the fuselage_t bitmap the upper and lower fuselage are in the wrong positions?
    David

Egg on face time!!! Forgot to flip the image, Doh!
    Last edited by djs1; March 25th, 2020 at 11:44.

Thanks very much Joe, simply an excellent and unique set of USCG skins for the Lodestar.

Thanks for the kind words, fellows. I just wish I could make as good a representation as jankees, ahron, zsolt and gman.
    It took me a couple of days just to get the alpha layers to my liking, and they still need work in my eyes.
    At least the flight crew is in CG uniforms.
    The old saying about old dogs and new tricks holds here.

joE

I love these yellow wing birds. Nice paint job.

She's a beauty, Joe ! I'll definitely have to add this one to my collection.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Members who have read this thread: 0